1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Goggles over glasses

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by rowdyflat, Aug 24, 2019.

1. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

My wife is as blind as a bat and always complaining about visibilty.
    She wears normal goggles over her glasses but in flat light its not good.
    The only threads about this topic were from the turn of the century including a comment from the legendary Graeme RIP.
    Do special deeper goggles help ? Spherical lenses are they better ?Any particular lense colour ?

2. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I was chatting with an older lady on the Kosi chair last week about this. She had those clip in things inside the goggles.

I’d looked at them YEARS ago for blind as a bat youngest son who had trouble with contacts at the time (he is used to them now). I asked about them.
    She said they are for her long sight vision and help incredibly for flat light. She had a cataract removed a few years back and had lens replaced in both eyes - one set for far vision one for near vision (brain just adapts), and with the inserts to sharpen the far vision she said that flat light is no longer a problem for her at all.

MarzNC likes this.
  3. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I have a similar problem with flat light which improved dramatically when I switched to Oakley Prizm goggles.

There's a whole thread on flat light goggles here. https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/flat-light-goggle-lenses.82081/#post-3646442

I also had problems with fogging, which I have now resovled by getting superlightweight titanium (spierweb?) Airlock brand prescription frames. The less intrusive the arms are, the better the mask seal will seal over the arms and on your face keeping out the cold air

4. gareth_oau

are they custom fit to suit specifc goggles, or can you move them across different brand goggles.

The otther problem is that you need to buy prescription lenses just for skiing.

5. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Thanks gareth

6. LMB

Nah, can move between goggles. Universal.

The benefits vs glasses under goggles is that you don’t have the arms to worry about so the seal is the same as for a non glasses wearer. And no risk of smashing your glasses and hurting yourself with broken frames inside the goggs

gareth_oau likes this.
  7. gareth_oau

I have goggles with 2 lenses, so I have a choice at the beginning of the day depending on conditions.

But I have also found on sunny days if I'm out later, I take the second lens with me and swap over as the sun gets long to avoid problems in the shadows

#7 gareth_oau, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  8. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I just squint more when the light gets bad.

9. elSpike

elSpike I am a Meat Popsicle Ski Pass: Gold

3 different sizes.

I got mine online. Happy to share site in PM (don’t know if I can share here as they don’t pay sponsorship on the site).

Can’t rate them highly enough.

Annabuzzy and LMB like this.
  10. LMB

I’m considering it myself.
    My vision is tanking FAST.

11. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Share with all please. I’m confident the site won’t consider that contravenes any sponsorship rules (unless it was you doing the selling, which you aren’t).

LMB likes this.
  12. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Please share the site.
    Thanks.

LMB likes this.
  13. Roymond

Roymond One of Us

I got mine at goggleman.com.au . Prescription sports sunnies and goggles for cycling, motorbikes and skiing.
    Excellent service, turnover time 1 week. You tell them your goggle and email the prescription, all done via post.

They work perfectly but it does help to get deeper set goggles as due to the insert, there’s less effective space between the goggle lens and your face. I moved to to deeper set goggles this year and noticed a distinct difference in fogging.
    As they are optometrists , you can also claim on private health if you have extras.

14. Every2years

Every2years Hard Yards

Being in Adelaide I have purchased from this store in person. I understand that in addition to being optometrists they come from a technical background. They clearly have a passion for quality lenses when you speak with them. I bought some oakley field jackets that were outside oakley lens specs and they were very particular about choosing a lens option that would suit my requirements. I will certainly use them again. They aren't a preferred supplier with at least some health insurance so the rebates aren't stellar.

15. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

I couldn’t wear contacts and found glasses under goggles fogged often. Had Laser surgery. Was the old fashioned version which was very painful but, despite that, I think it was and still is fantastic. I would do it again tomorrow.

16. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Thanks.
    So I wear Smith ‘over the glasses’ goggles now. They are less than ideal as they can be uncomfortable and fogging can be an issue.

So if I’m reading the goggleman site correctly I have two options?
    First is the lenses that fit inside my existing goggles. The second and more expensive is to get a new set of goggles that suit sun and flat light and have them customised to my prescription?

17. elSpike

I ordered from the imaginatively named http://prescriptioninserts.com/ who appear to be a reskin of specs4less, a well known UK outfit.

Submitted my prescription through their ordering site and received the insert via Royal Mail in under a week.

18. sperks

sperks Hard Yards

Can you explain what you mean you have 3 different sizes sorry if this is a stupid question
    I have prescription inserts from the google man got a couple of years ago thought there was only one size
    I do love them but still get some fogging

19. elSpike

Sorry. There were 3 different insert sizes depending on your goggles. I found a reference that indicated that the PI003 one would fit our Airbrake goggles.

20. LMB

From the link above shared by elSpike

You trial the 3, choose the right size, return tester pack and they won’t charge you postage for your order.
    Seems like a win win.
    I’m booking an optometrist appt for my distance vision as soon as I get home.

Chaeron likes this.
  21. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Wouldn’t the middle size be the safest bet? Or go smallest?

22. LDJ

LDJ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Not sure on sizing but dad swears by the inserts has solved his fogging and other googles over glasses issues

23. azzski

azzski Should know better Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

There's actually a lot of threads in here about goggles with glasses. The key is knowing to search for "OTG".

Here's a few:
    https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/otg-ski-goggles-selections.80793/
    https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/otg-goggles-for-low-light-and-best-contrast.81209/
    https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/goggles-for-glasses-wearer.78602/
    https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/otg-goggles.67406/

24. jgm

jgm Addicted

I got mine fro SportRX in the US. You tell them what make of goggles you have and send a copy of your prescription. I have two identical goggles - one with low light lens & the other for bright days, and just swap the inserts as required.