1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Gondola to Replace Merritts

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Bluebird Snowbird, Feb 25, 2018.

1. skull

skull One of Us

That was the way down for the wife and Miss 3 last season whilst myself and Mr 6 took HN down.
    I am hoping this season Miss who will be 4 by then will ski down all the way.

2. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

I never had any problems either. Its not unusual to download a class on the Perisher Express, I recon down unloading a detachable quad is no more difficult than loading a fixed double.

3. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us

For sure. It's a nicer ride down than it is a ride up. I did it with my three year old in 2017 after having a an afternoon play up at Merritts and it was lovely, she really enjoyed it. She certainly liked it far more than her trip up Kozzie with the graupel tearing away at her face earlier in the day.

4. Telemark Phat

Snowy Mountains Facial

5. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

There inlies the big big elephant in Thredbo's room. Everything over a certain altitude in the resort, roughly 1700m, is very very prone to nasty winds. And erosion of snow in those wind lanes up top. Gives us nice powder bowls here and there, but the top half of the hill is often sketchy for 6 hours a day, seven days a week skiing/boarding. Pray for a calm day. :)

6. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

One of my 'stacks' last season was at approx. 2km/h when my tips hooked up on an icy sastrugi ridge as I was gazing out over the Golf Course Bowl instead of paying attention. Crossed my tips, and down I went. So, even on a calm day there's a way for the wind to smack you down.

7. Funky

Funky One of Us

LOL... it seems my original post didn't get, well, posted...

I was trying to call out you whinging old "back in my day" types...

Seriously. If we took that attitude... You m'am, can wait in that line trying to buy over priced tickets (still no change there I guess), for it slap it your face as you ski down the slopes, eyes watering from your crappy sunnies, wet gloves, whilst you teach your kids to "HTFU". Oh and rip out high speed detachable chairs too. Let's just ride the original Crackenback chair...

I on the other hand will forgoe all such pleasures to have over privileged children... who still complain about the bus trip back as if they did have to walk up the hill carrying their own skis.

Really the problem is not "toughen up", it is just that Thredbo, really isn't a great resort to learn on. I grew up skiing never having to had to download on a ski lift. Unless I went to Buller for day trips.

8. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I learnt to ski at Thredbo. To be honest I felt the transition from FF to Merritts was fine. The “issue” is you really need to transition from a low intermediate to a mid intermediate to deal with High Noon comfortably. “Back in the day” people more commonly did a weeks lessons with the same group and sane instructor. Toward the end of a week the instructor would build the skills so the students could ski High Noon and not be in mortal fear.

It IS a little bit of a step up, but lessons will help manage that.

crackson and Funky like this.
  9. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

There was a time before god invented Friday Flat.

crackson and zac150 like this.
  10. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us

I still struggle to believe they used to send beginners up to the basin for their first turns.

It's pretty gentle terrain but gee it gets exposed...

Friday Flat = lookshureh

climberman likes this.
  11. Annabuzzy

Yeah I did have a weekend trip once pre FF but it doesn’t really count. I really started skiing after FF was created. 2 days on FF, then transition to Merrits on the third and High Noon the 4th or 5th day

12. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Kicks em out the side door of the building and watch ‘em get blown back inside LOL

13. Telemark Phat

Really? So expert. May I touch you?

Lols

14. Telemark Phat

My biggest memory wasn't heading towards the Basin through the wind, but the first time I went down the long ramp with the plastic bristles towards whatever the supertrail was called before it was renamed.

telecrag and climberman like this.
  15. Funky

Funky One of Us

That is what I'm talking about Willis. The transition from Merrits onwards. At the moment the way the instructors do that is the Loops over to Super Trail and back down to Gunbarrel.

But there IS a reason that even Level 7 Freeriders don't go down High Noon these days...

cornice11 and Annabuzzy like this.
  16. Legs Akimbo

If you wash your hands first.

17. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Since when? My daughter has skied it on a regular basis with classes.

18. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

That's what I miss most about Ramshead, it was a peaceful and scenic chair ride.

19. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Which could last for about 2 hours, with a rappel at the end!

sbm_, zac150, Ted Harper and 4 others like this.
  20. Telemark Phat

And sheltered

sastrugi likes this.
  21. sastrugi

Yep, it was the best powder chair in Aus on the right day! And because it was so slow, everything didn't get skied out too quickly.

22. Annabuzzy

Good for lapping funnelweb though (just missing the very top bit), with a nice long rest between runs.

23. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us

I was never lucky enough to catch the Ramshead chair as a lad, was usually heading up Kozzie or Gunbarrel (yes, I'm a post '91 skiier).

Ramshead just looks to me like Merritt's Chair with the added benefits of howling winds, mechanical breakdowns and graupel induced facial exfoliation.

I don't feel as though I've missed out really

24. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Ha ha
    Yes
    The inner beast whispering"Your legs get an extra 5 minutes rest!-take Ramshead!Take Ramshead"
    I've ridden worse chairs in Japan in the last 5 years

25. telecrag

I was lucky enough to be on it, for what I believe was the ride that made them decide to can it! Fortunately I was close enough to the start, I was able to jump off it. Many were on it for a couple of hours.

We often used to ride it, never had a line, even when it was nearly 20min on Crackers.

Bogong likes this.
  26. linked_recoveries

And it gave you lots of time to watch the shenanigans on Cannonball.

27. sastrugi

Nope, it was sheltered which is what made it the best chair. Could be howling winds all over the mountain and for at least half of it you could have been in complete silence and solitude (except for the powder day WHOOHOOOOS). I never got stuck on it and I remember one powder day when it was the only lift open on a shitty weather day and all the die hards were out Q ing for it, the only day I remember Qs. And there was enough for everyone to go around. Early 2000s. Happy days :)

28. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us

I'm very much mistaken about the level of exposure on Ramshead then, I just assumed it would have been wild and woolly but I guess looking now at the line it took up Cannonball, it's indeed fairly sheltered.

Should have built the gondy there, with stations top of Cannonball then up over Karels, though that's probably when the wind would start to come into play I suppose.

sastrugi likes this.
  29. telecrag

Yeah, the Ramshead line is very well sheltered by the Funnelweb ridgeline, from the main wind direction. More so than Slowgums and GB maybe.

30. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

It was the original chair to the original beginner's area.....right?....so Sponar would have built to take advantage of the most sheltered conditions

31. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

32. linked_recoveries

Along the line of the old Ramshead chair is the primary expected route for some long-awaited new uplift capacity. Whether it goes all the way to the top or has an intermediate station below the ridge, and whether it starts down in the valley or in the area of Tower 10 on the line of the old Ramshead chair (flat section on the True Blue runout below Little Beauty) remains the subject of much debate.

This has been discussed back and forth in detail in another spot (the Thredbo Development thread in this forum). For mine, and assuming it ever happens, start at Tower 10 and include an intermediate station allowing it to make use of the sheltering ridge to run in most conditions, but go all the way to the top when the weather permits. More expensive, but more useful more of the time.

33. Legs Akimbo

Beginners were sent up Crackenback, not Ramshead. They took the right hand exit (facing uphill) from Top Station (where the restaurant is) to the Basin. I think the unload on Ramshead was considered too dodgy for beginners. The Crackenback unload was wide and flat.

MisterMxyzptlk likes this.
  34. Telemark Phat

It was also that flat area North of the Crackenback unload where the old rope tows were for beginners.

35. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

I feel as though I should give some love to the Ramshead chair here given my handle.

I have lovely memories of riding the chair when I was a kid and wasn't really good enough to ski the good bits, but I'd do the very bumpy traverse across Cannonball and ski supertrail, avoid Crackenback queue, rinse and repeat. Was definitely very sheltered and peaceful.

Also, I want a Merritt's chair. Dunno if they're gonna be offered for sale, but I WILL HAVE ONE. I turn 50 this year and one shall be mine. I'll get in touch with one or two Thredbo mates to see what's what, but if anyone knows the likely deal on this already (ie will they be offered for sale), I'd love to know, cheers.

36. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us

That's an awesome idea, would love to have one of the chairs set up in my backyard as a seat, atached to a tree or something. After all it's an antique, and a little piece of Thredbo history.

I'm sure I've seen a few of the old Crackenback chairs in Thredbo (one that springs to mind is out the front of one of the ski in ski out joints in Wodridge).

What are the odds of them being auctioned off or sold Ramshead? What did they do with the old Crackers chairs when Kozzie Express was built?

37. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

Pretty sure they sold off the Ramshead chairs and they were not cheap either. Not sure about Crackenback chairs. But yeah, backyard seat under tree is what I'm thinking and I'll do whatever it takes or pay whatever it costs to get one.

38. Arne

Arne One of Us

Im sure they'll sell Merritts chairs to the public. Its an easy few dollars for KT.
    I still see old Ramshead chairs lying around overgrown in backyards various properties in Thredbo. From memory the first chairs were expensive 5k each or something, higher number chairs for a hundy or so. I guess they sold out. There are a lot of chairs on Merritts so lots of opportunity.
    Even though my wife would like an old chair, its not that nostalgic for me. And I wouldn't have anywhere to place a beer.

Ramshead likes this.
  39. Scoober

Scoober One of Us

I'm 99% sure the sale of chairs went to nominated charities. Thredbo probably took a handlers fee (95%)!!!

40. telecrag

The money raised went to charity, the auction was open to the public. They turn up on Ebay from time to time.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  41. telecrag

Id like some of the tower cable pulley wheels, so I could devise a cycle powered train thing, to ride on the old Cooma rail line, and fight everyone!

42. sastrugi

SNAP! I turn 50 this year too and I have a whole beautiful farm with sensational views to enjoy my chair so I'm going to get one too :D

43. linked_recoveries

Oh my god! Say it ain't so ...

sastrugi likes this.
  44. linked_recoveries

Any volunteers to buy the enormous block of concrete at the top and take it away?

45. sastrugi

It's so! Half of Thredbo are 69ers, you'd better take winter off from the big smoke to join in all the shenanigans :D

LMB likes this.
  46. linked_recoveries

Might happen. We'll have to see what transpires.

sastrugi likes this.
  47. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

hhmm interesting thought, about to build a house in the area and have the perfect gum tree on the block for sitting under with a view over the lake to the Snowy Mtns beyond!

48. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us

It's funny, when I'm riding up a chair I'm generally pretty keen to get off the bloody thing and lay some tracks. Now all I want to do is sit in one, for no reason, going nowhere, in my backyard, just for fun.

We're weird creatures.

Ted Harper and Ramshead like this.
  49. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

This is the greatest post of all time

50. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

I've just bumped up the price of my own Merritts chair, haven't I. Facepalm