1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Gondola to Replace Merritts

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Bluebird Snowbird, Feb 25, 2018.

1. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

Definitely agree about this, Snowgums for the masses has always seemed a better option to me, takes out Eagle Road and the wind blasted top which I think for your average week a year skier is more of a nuisance and for some downright scary.

sastrugi likes this.
  2. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Please please please Thredbo, don't lift the GCB.

I'm still yet to see somebody skiing the GCB who shouldn't be there (though I'm sure loads of others who ski more than my two weeks a year probably have). Lifting it would require loads of clearing, grading (especially the exit run) and would ruin some of the loveliest off piste skiing around.

Velma, Ted Harper and sastrugi like this.
  3. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

One thing I would hope and expect Thredbo will never do is put in any more fixed grip chairs. After decades of skiing Thredbo as my home mountain, I also love skiing Hotham but the slow, fixed grip chair system does our heads in. We get so much less skiing done in a day at Hotham than we do at Thredbo, simply because of the lifts.

A beginners lift on the golf course is a great idea except it's below the snow line and like Friday Flat, will require excessive snowmaking to keep it up to scratch for a season. As Thredbo never bothered expanding the 9 hole course into an 18 hole course, they never became the golf destination resort in the 90s/00s that some higher up had wished for, and have missed their moment for golf. The golf course now is an expensive waste of developed land... a large place to hold weddings and an area for a few boomers to have a game of wackf*ck. They'd most certainly be better off selling off some of the land for more development and putting that money into lifting the area and adding a second lift elsewhere. E.g. slow gums.

Bogong, Laska Goralska and telecrag like this.
  4. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Haha, watched some people losing balls down one of the 'fairways' from a friends new place on the ridge. its pretty much hitting a ball down a groomer by the look! They did not look like regular golfers.

sastrugi likes this.
  5. sastrugi

That's very unfair to blame Cees Koeman solely for removal of those trees, all of the early work was done as teamwork in the best interests of skiing. Also, Thredbo replanted so much in the early 00s across meadows - most of it instigated by Pete Fleming, now Mountain Manager. The trees have taken beautifully and we actually have runs there now instead of acres of meadows. I should know, I spent a year scolding him for cutting the best fall line of the lower mountain in half with them. His vision has now paid off.

6. Laska Goralska

The golf course itself does seem pretty underutlised, even in summer

sastrugi likes this.
  7. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

cause its crap

Alleve likes this.
  8. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

One of the recent DAs is proposing to relocate five snowmaking guns from the tree line - skier's right as you cross the Meadows - into the middle of the run. It also shows three more guns a bit higher up near Chute 4 (or whatever it's called). There must be some logic to it but most times the breeze is doing that for them. Anyway, seems we'll have a new snowgun slalom course crossing The Meadows.

http://www.majorprojects.planning.nsw.gov.au/index.pl?action=view_job&job_id=6366

9. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

For those that don't know, in the olden days all of the Meadows (then called Middle Slopes) to the left of Snowgums on that photo and above the snowcat shed was wide open and treeless.

10. linked_recoveries

I imagine that left areas a bit "snow, snow, grass, snow, grass, gravel, snow". Even with today's snowmaking you have to be reasonably proficient with the odd Ptex-saving ollie.

LMB likes this.
  11. Legs Akimbo

Top to bottom, pre-snowmaking was a couple of weeks a year in an average to good year. Top to Middle Station on the Crackenback chair (at about the level of the top yellow mark) or Tower 10 on Ramshead was the norm. Top to Kareela sometimes happened, and that was dire. There was a lot of downloading.

Ted Harper and linked_recoveries like this.
  12. linked_recoveries

Well ... as long as you could make Kareela ...

Sage Oya and sastrugi like this.
  13. sastrugi

All roads in life lead to Kareela :love::emoji_champagne_glass::emoji_snowman::emoji_snowflake:

Sage Oya likes this.
  14. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Love how the youngeR trees at meadows juxtapose against the old

You are right it’s coming along beautifully

sastrugi likes this.
  15. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I have to confess I don’t get the preciousness over GCB. The area is lifted now. The proposed lift replicates in the main a former lift.

Sadly Thredbo gave up its lease area south of
    gCB with no concessions in return (why?). Still, I doubt GCB traffic proper would be materially increased with a new major lift to Karels. Indeed wind issues would mean that isn’t feasible anyway.

But Thredbo definitely needs to do more to spread crowds away from the two major base lifts.

TomGroggon, Bogong and VSG like this.
  16. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

All true.

17. sastrugi

@Annabuzzy If they make easier access to GCB, it's not just the lift that will be upgraded but it also means they need to make it safer for the masses... change the exit, glade the trees better etc. Of course it's lifted now but you need a certain level of ability to access it. Also, the more people who go into it, the more it will be regularly skied out and it will end up like the powder bowl... crap except for the cream of the pow days.

Sage Oya, skull and Telemark Phat like this.
  18. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

19. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Concur

20. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

Agree. I've never understood the push to put a new lift near the old Ramshead chair. The chair was only built to relieve Crackenback queues in the days when two seaters were the max. OK, and as an option in extreme winds, but Snowgums does that. Def redo it. But KEEP THE MID STATIONS! or at least one of them

21. Laska Goralska

It's indirectly lifted now sure, just like the powder bowl was before Cruiser right?

I was more referring to having the gcb area lifted in the same way as cruiser, with a chair running up the bowl itself, which would change the area hugely in terms of clearing, grading and sorting out the exit run.

This is what I'd be disappointed in, rather than putting a detachable quad where Ramshead used to be all the way up to Karels. A new ramshead would be awesome and would make getting to the top of the bowl via the Tors or whatever it is much easier and quicker (rather than the current chair ride plus two tbars it takes now).

So yes it's indirectly lifted now, would be more directly lifted with a new ramshead up to Karels, but neither would have the same impact as placing anything running up gcb itself (not that this would ever happen so the discussion is pretty much academic at this point)

22. sastrugi

Everyone seems to forget that a new lift up to the top of Karels would most likely be running less than 40% of the time due to winds. There is a reason there are surface lifts at the top of the mountain/edge of the range and the existing lifts sit into the lee of the hill. Look how many times Kosci lift is closed due to high winds. Look at the days it's open but you're getting a facial while riding the t-bars. Think about it peeps... a lift to the top of Karels ain't gonna happen!

nfip, Telemark Phat, Bogong and 6 others like this.
  23. Laska Goralska

Unless it's split across a number of stations so the top section can close in high winds, but come to think of it this would reduce access to the top of the mountain relative to now because if it replaced the surface lifts then you'd have to boot pack it up from the closed station rather than relying on the tbars, which generally stay open in all weather unless there's a proper whiteout.

So yes you're right sastrugi, it won't happen, and in light of the above probably shouldn't either.

azzski and sastrugi like this.
  24. telecrag

The old Ramhead did one thing that everyone has forgotten, it got beginners to, and from Basin. I think it makes sense to have it end somewhere close to Basin. When you see those boarders trying to learn T, and there is no easy way out. (need a beginner T somewhere IMO, I know, GCB!) Might need to duplicate, or even triplicate Basin to take the traffic.

benchives and sastrugi like this.
  25. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

But the big queues typically only happen on blue bird days. On the shitty weather days (the best ones) there are no queues.

cornice11 and climberman like this.
  26. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Shhhh

27. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Much easier with modern gear - helmet, gloves, integrated hood over helmet, goggles.

It’s just the seeing bit is hard.

28. sastrugi

You've skied Thredbo, you know the wind can be huge on a bluebird day! (I love those days, summer and winter, when peeps look out their windows and see blue skies and get caught out by the weather cos they've under dressed!!)

Also, my fave Qing day was pretty much all lifts closed except Ramshead... I think I mentioned it a few pages back. Only about 50 peeps there but the lift was so slow it was creating Qs. Everybody still found GCB freshies all day long!

29. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Would it be practical to build it to the bottom of Karels? It's moderately sheltered up that far, and for the people heading to GCB and FW (or just doing laps on Karels) it would mean they wouldn't be adding to the queue for the Basin T. It might also take some of the traffic off the Kosi chair as well by providing an alternative ride to the top.

30. telecrag

Top station.....

The moon!

Sage Oya likes this.
  31. Laska Goralska

it seems pretty exposed once you get past the trees just up from basin T that mark the lower entrance to funnelweb. After those trees it's pretty much just tors and granite protrusions I think? Maybe too exposed to even go to the bottom of Karels, I'm not sure?

32. telecrag

Also have to be careful not to put pylons on top of the burrows of the rare Alpine Corroboree Pygmy Pony. A new breed, developed by industry, and ratified by politics!

33. Legs Akimbo

No it didn't. They didn't send beginners up Ramshead.

34. telecrag

A beginner stuck at Basin had two choices, walk up to Eagles Nest, or to Ramshead?

35. Legs Akimbo

There's a magic T-bar there. And there was never downloading on Ramshead from the top. No access to the top platform.

36. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You can see it's a commonly held misconception!;)

37. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

my favourite days

38. Slowman

Slowman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Being suitably ancient I can recall that before they put lifts on Merrits Spur, that Thredbo would try hard to scare beginners off the sport for good by sending them up the Crackenback chair and then pushing them into the Basin. To survive they had to learn to ride the Basin T-bar before hypothermia set in. I also have a vague recollection they tried to inflict additional injuries on beginners by making them use a short rope tow up there. Great days.

One of the good things about that era was that Thredbo was owned by Lend Lease which was then still a private company and I gather the directors of the company were mostly all keen skiers and they just liked to build new ski lifts and runs because it was fun to then use the things. No bothersome return on investment calculations required. Such a shame they sold the place.

The new gondola plan for Merrits looks interesting. Hopefully they will build the thing. If not perhaps they can dust off one of the old rope tows and try to scare a new generation of skiers off the sport by putting it somewhere interesting - like GCB.

Ted Harper, LaNeige, sastrugi and 3 others like this.
  39. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

I wonder how the wind would be if the rams head top station were tucked into the trees skiers left of trapdoor, just high enough for a traverse to too of trapdoor. The traverse could even continue onto base station of tbar for upper golf course above treeline runs. Of course all moot point as not much use for beginners and biodiversity offsets sound like too much of s challenge.

40. telecrag

Well, I was never a beginner. But I have often seen beginners have to be skidood back to Eaglesnest these days, so it is a function they may consider for a new lift. And or a beginner tow with access somewhere.

41. telecrag

Should qualify, I had been skiing for quite a few years, before I skied a resort. Never could understand why people have so much trouble with lifts of any sort, but then some people seem to have trouble working out which direction is down too.

42. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I think this is about where the lift top station would need to go. Higher and more skiers right than the old ramshead top station. But it just couldn’t go to Karels top because it would mean the lift would be closed too often.

Could it go to the plateau below the first pitch from Karels which is normally groomed to take people back to Basin? I suspect wind hold issues would mean that’s too high.

43. J_busworth

J_busworth One of Us

I have always wanted a Tower 10 to above Karels replacement for Ramshead, with a mid station in line with the Basin bottom station. Spilt line so the lift can operate as two seperate lifts, just the protected bottom half on wind hold days. If I had the money I'd buy shares in Event Entertainment and try and force them to do it.

Looking forward to the new Merrits Gondola next season though, even if they are only building it so Merrits can become a bike park and people can get to the new conference centre.

44. linked_recoveries

That's a good summary of my own position. It would remove some pressure off Milk Run and the like - the lowest runs down to Valley Terminal. Three considerations come to mind: 1) is more expensive, 2) it doesn't solve the morning upload queue down at Valley Terminal and 3) you'd need to build a rather large shed on the flats at Tower 10 for storage of the detached chairs.

While we're at it could we please have a ski-up grappa bar alongside the bottom station. I like those.

zac150 likes this.
  45. sastrugi

#limoncelloaddiction

;)

46. J_busworth

J_busworth One of Us

I've noticed that the lift has got full approval from the department of planning and looks like it is a go for next season. Also has been included in this years trail map.

LaNeige, skiflat, zac150 and 2 others like this.
  47. nick12

nick12 Addicted

skiflat and climberman like this.
  48. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

Looks like plenty more table spots for Merritts House on the plans with less seats outside and more inside :)

db2567 likes this.
  49. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

So more seats for one person to hold to for hours on end during lunch/blizzards, for their family/friends who will be there in a "few minutes". Meanwhile everyone else wanders around with trays...

dawooduck, LMB and Sage Oya like this.
  50. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

Just grab a pie to go in a paper bag :thumbs:.

zac150 likes this.