Gondola to Replace Merritts

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
not that creek, but I ended up in a stream elsewhere on the mountain. Got stuck, was by myself and took about 15 minutes of panicking before I finally hit solid ground on the side and crawl out.

Do not recommend.
Snowboard or skis?

My mate caught a heel side edge trying to stop.
Got flipped in. Slide down into water.
Board was highside.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
Your post would indicate that you dislike the run because you find it to challenging.

Don't get bitter get better.
No. My post suggests it's a shit run. Always has been. Always will be. It is the sort of run that people only do so they can say they did it (and pretend they liked it), not for the pleasure of the thing.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I quite enjoy it, on the odd occasion that it is either properly skiable, or sometimes when its sketchy, but have to be in the mood, as its hard work (when sketchy) on the tele. Unreal fun when its fresh. Maybe not my favourite run on the hill, but I like it. Wiamea, into PowderBowl into Shuss is a great run.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
What is a good run is not fixed. It varies with time. It's about being on the best run at any given point in time. So if schuss has untracked fresh snow when the rest of the ski area is tracked out, it may be the best run available at that particular time.

But it's also subjective. One of them most enjoyable aspect of skiing for me is negotiating the less than ideal areas without falling or damaging gear. So a run like schuss in the early season can be very enjoyable for me, even if conditions are marginal.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
My post suggests it's a shit run.
The only time I bother is first thing after a solid fall otherwise I agree with you,. It is normally rutted out icy and terrible from people trying to ride it, after a nice dumb though it is amazing.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
What is a good run is not fixed. It varies with time. It's about being on the best run at any given point in time. So if schuss has untracked fresh snow when the rest of the ski area is tracked out, it may be the best run available at that particular time.

But it's also subjective. One of them most enjoyable aspect of skiing for me is negotiating the less than ideal areas without falling or damaging gear. So a run like schuss in the early season can be very enjoyable for me, even if conditions are marginal.
And you can tell your mates in the pub afterwards. Winning.

What puzzles me is that this great experience is not reflected in crowds of people tripping over each other for the experience.

Reactions: db2567

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I don't tend to ski where the crowds are all that much, IMO many enjoy groomers more than anything, horses for courses, well entree at least. If everyone was out poaching it would take the shine off it anyway. It is a bit like BC, it takes effort and a mindset.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Hows old mate with the selfie stick?
I was shredding it yo...yew
204394_d25dcbee567782d5b6d3bbf324abcbe5.jpg

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
I ski it from time to time and I like it on those days..... I like the Telecrag line as a punishing way of finishing the day. Don't ski it to brag.

Question is, will it stay open after the Gondola opens? When it's open, it will become quite the show for those on their way up, spectators will learn very quickly those who are in over their heads and those who are not.

Reactions: skull and telecrag

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
I just had a look at the date, Sunday 12/8/18 at 9.03am. We were a bit late getting to Gunnbarrel and the queue was horrendous. So I suggested Easy Does It, then magic carpet and across too Merritts mid. In hindsight it probably wasn't worth it.
Schuss and Dream run are not really the reason I go into that area, if you know what I mean. :emoji_evergreen_tree::emoji_evergreen_tree::emoji_evergreen_tree:

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
And you can tell your mates in the pub afterwards. Winning.

What puzzles me is that this great experience is not reflected in crowds of people tripping over each other for the experience.

Well noone really wants to hear about that lumped up groomer that everyone else experienced.

Pub stories are usually better when there is a bit of a twist in the plot. Tripped up by the frozen - in branch loop, the lost ski, the lost skier, the 90 minute boot pack, the we nearly fell in the creek, the fresh run you got at 12pm.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
I went left deep into those trees one day and had a challenging time getting through. Also started to worry I was going to get lost too.

Undies

Rockin the lock in
Ski Pass
May 15, 2002
Top drawer
Anyone know what became of the old chairs? Would be great to hang one off one of our trees.....

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Ahhhh, fair enough. How much did they go for on average?

I snooze, I lose....
112 chairs from Merritts were sold by on-line auction which raised over $200,000 for worthy causes with Chair 2 going for the highest price of $4005. A more typical price was $2500 each.

The Mt P Double and Triple chairlifts are due to be removed next summer as those lifts are being replaced with a 6-pack. Given the positive publicity from recent chairlift auctions at Thredbo, Falls Creek and Mt Buller, I'm pretty confident that Perisher will auction them off as well, although the prices will probably be a little lower. So keep an eye out for that sale if you want a novelty garden swing.

Reactions: LMB and Undies

Covo

Hard Yards
Jul 7, 2019
You can’t say if they are gonna be removed next summer yet cause the DA for the next chair has not been approved yet. And a DA approval in a national park takes time

Reactions: Alleve

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
You can’t say if they are gonna be removed next summer yet cause the DA for the next chair has not been approved yet. And a DA approval in a national park takes time
I was careful to say "The Mt P Double and Triple chairlifts are due to be removed next summer", because all sorts of things could happen during the current difficulties. o_O

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
And, even if the place does get itself open it will almost certainly be on some sort of reduced basis. There won't be a lot of cash sloshing around to throw away on fripperies like new chairs.

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Even before coronavirus, I'd be surprised if the DA were to be approved in time for construction to start early enough a 2021 opening. Given how long the Merritts DA took (over a year and a half), I'd expect a 2022 opening for Mt P at the earliest, with lift construction happening during the summer of 2021/2022.

Then you have to factor in the financial situation that Vail is dealing with. Theyve borrowed considerable sums of money, and have been cancelling or postponing lift developments worldwide, so I'd be surprised if they're still willing to drop some 20 million on a chairlift in Australia.

I'd assume its a similar situation in Thredbo where any unessential upgrades have been put aside. Event wouldn't be doing particularly well at the moment considering how pretty much their entire business relies on people being able to leave the house and travel (cinemas, hotels, etc). Hopefully they decide to continue with their Merritts Mountain House upgrade next summer.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass