Good affordable European resort

Haydos

First Runs
Mar 8, 2017
Hey guys

I'm going on a exchange over to Lille in Northern France for a year and I am wondering what is a good, affordable ski resort in either France or Switzerland that is relatively easy to access and requires no driving. I am a advanced skier but I may be going with others who are beginners so it needs a good variety of runs. I would appreciate any feed back.

Cheers

Hayden

WaitAwhile

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 29, 2012
Perth/part time resident of Jindabyne
Have a look at the Les Sybelles ski area (Le Corbier etc) Its mainly aimed at the budget French market has really good train access ,Its on the Paris - Turin line and the high speed trains stop at nearby Saint Jean De Maurienne , about a 25 min drive away, its also serviced by a shuttle bus from the town to the resort.
Its heaps cheaper than the really big name resorts.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

WaitAwhile

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 29, 2012
Perth/part time resident of Jindabyne
They used to do the snow trains from U.K to Bourg st Maurice( val d isere, Tignes ,les Arc , La plagne and
3 v..)
Pretty sure many of the trains (Eurostar)using the chunnel use Lille as a stop in France and then some go to Brussels and others to Paris and other destinations.

Last edited:

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Have you considered Andorra?

I believe they're working hard to attract skiers and they have had some very good deals on offer. It might be an alternative.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
I spent two weeks with the family at La Rosiere a few years ago. Smaller, cheaper than the nearby resorts and caters well to beginners with enough intermediate terrain to entertain moderately competent skiers. Light on advanced terrain though. It's up high so works with a poor season which is why we picked it (thankfully as it turned out). If you want to maximise variety then this probably isn't the place for you. It's really not so big. It runs on a combined ticket with La Thuile on the Italian side of the border. Real beginners will have a bit of trouble getting between the two- a bit steep and narrow in places, but in others very flat on the way into Italy. The border crossing is also very unfriendly to boarders- a very long button lift that's quite flat (slightly downhill in one section).

La Ros itself is a "manufactured" village done in traditional style to maximise tourist appeal rather than an old original village. In a half reasonable season it does "ski in, ski out" from most parts of the village. Worst case you're a short walk to the lifts. La Thuile is a traditional valley village on the Italian side. Cold as hell in a decent winter apparently.

The upside is if the weather is shitty on one side of the border it's almost always clear on the other side. Just don't get caught on the wrong side after last lifts- you're up for a either an unplanned night in a hotel on the "other" side (the cheap option) or a hellishly expensive taxi trip through the Mont Blanc Tunnel.

Last edited:

Haydos

First Runs
Mar 8, 2017
Thanks for the feedback everyone, i;m keen to hit up a larger resort for a couple weeks during my uni break and then maybe go to a smaller one for a couple days during the semester. Les Arcs and the places near there seems like a good choice.

Arsas

One of Us
Feb 23, 2017
I would recommend Paradiski, in particular La plagne and then stay in either Les Coches or Montchavin. Montchavin is the village directly below the Vanoise Express which links to Les Arcs and Peisey-Vallandry.
You can get an all access Paradiski pass which includes all resort and villages, this covers beginner terrain right up to skiing above 3500m. Access to La plange is via car or train and it takes you right to the base of the mountains (Bourg St Maurice) and then you shuttle up to your village. We caught the Ski train from London which travels through the night and you wake up at 6:30am in the alps.
Montchavin is the perfect Village for a traditional French Alps experience. It is small but has everything you need, ski schools, hire companies, restaurants, and it is only one lift and you ski down to the Vanoise Express and your skiing in Les Arcs, or its 3 lifts and your up at 2500m+ in Bellecote and then one more gondola and you're at 3500m.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass