Advice needed Good lodge for a single person

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
My mate is looking for a good value lodge for a single person staying either at Perisher - Smiggins or in the Jindabyne area.

He’d like a single room, but doesn’t mind sharing a bathroom, and enjoys the ‘lodge’ style feel where people sit at communal tables for breakfast and dinner, and then chat around a lounge at night.

Can anybody suggest any nice places, not too expensive?

Thanks

ladycamper

One of Us
Jul 16, 2010
Australia
Many would be, the right one depends on if he likes staying up or going to bed early for an early ski, and the people there.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

marv hucker

One of Us
Apr 1, 2016
Ski Rider might fit the bill.
Big joint, big dining room, bar, pool table etc. Shuttle bus up & down. Rooms are a bit basic, but do the job.

Reactions: ladycamper

Egbert

One of Us
Feb 6, 2015
How much per night is "good value"?
Peer Gynt, Ben Bullen probably the cheaper end of "commercial" lodges at Perisher.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
I stayed at Boonoona Lodge two years ago on a solo snowboard trip and was good value at the time. I found it on Wotif @ $149 a night for first week of September. At the time nearly all the guests were skiers but Matt, the lodge manager also does snowboarding. Good atmosphere and good company, I'd recommend it.

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Does it have self catering facilities too? Or is it more suited to those who would be buying meals?
No self catering apart from tea/coffee. Rooms don't even have fridges. They supply single serve UHT milk pods. Wasn't really an issue for us on our 2 stays there a few years back as the weather was cold enough to chill my beer in the boot of the car. Tariffs include dinner and breakfast.

Reactions: ladycamper

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Not really a lodge feel/vibe imo. As far as chatting over a communal table etc
Yes I know Ski Rider myself. It is good value but I think best suits a minimum of 2 people per room, price wise.

It has a large dining / meal room and large bar, and is popular with coach groups, having a total of 95 rooms.

Thankyou for all of the suggestions, they are proving very valuable to my mate.

Egbert

One of Us
Feb 6, 2015
I stayed at Boonoona Lodge two years ago on a solo snowboard trip and was good value at the time. I found it on Wotif @ $149 a night for first week of September. At the time nearly all the guests were skiers but Matt, the lodge manager also does snowboarding. Good atmosphere and good company, I'd recommend it.
Did Matt cook a 12 hour roast pork?

Nowada

Addicted
Jan 12, 2011
NSW South Coast
Try Sponars Chalet, its about 7 Km from Perisher with parking and free shuttle. You just need lift ticket and NP entry. They have very good deals in September but no free shuttle then. Has the added bonus of Sauna and good size (about 20m) heated pool. well stocked bar and comfy lounge.

agentBM

Part of the Furniture
Oct 27, 2000
Space..traveling through the vast non emptiness
There is an awesome lodge at Island Bend called The Alpine Camper. It is free and cold, it invigorates your senses and you are allowed to have an open fire. Once in the tent and as long as you are prepared and not a nong, then cosy comfy warm is all yours, until you get up in the morning at 6.15am and start the fire, but that is OK, because by the time you have decided to move on, it is a short drive up the hill to coffee and B&E roll as you wait for the lifts to start. Back at camp in the evening, you can enjoy the solitude, heat a can of water to use a flannel and have a wash. Maybe if you stay more than a couple / few nights, a shower down in Jindy could be the go.

marv hucker

One of Us
Apr 1, 2016
Try Sponars Chalet, its about 7 Km from Perisher with parking and free shuttle. You just need lift ticket and NP entry. They have very good deals in September but no free shuttle then. Has the added bonus of Sauna and good size (about 20m) heated pool. well stocked bar and comfy lounge.
Schnappy hour!! From 5-6 and 6-7 and 8-9 and 10-11 and...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
huckanddyno.wordpress.com
There is an awesome lodge at Island Bend called The Alpine Camper...

I'm as big a backcountry zealot as they come - and plan to spend $0 on ski accomodation in Australia this winter - but even I have to admit it's not for most people!

Plus it's not really a good option for one. Camping by yourself can be really boring as well as draining.

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Thankyou for all of the suggestions.

I think Sages' Haus B&B in Jindabyne should fit the bill.

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Thankyou for all of the suggestions.

I think Sages' Haus B&B in Jindabyne should fit the bill.
Have a look at Sonnblick Lodge as well. Looks like they do single rooms for $110 a night mid week.

Ludaning

Hard Yards
Sep 21, 2014
Camden
Don't stay at kooloora lodge between 14-19 august. Ill be there with my kids lol and possibly some friends with 6 kids in total. Not really what you'd want as a single :confused:. Outside these dates the lodge looks great. Haven't stayed there before but going by reviews and pictures it looks really good.

Reactions: rocketboy
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using