1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Got new boots, starting to have some problems

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Pedestrian, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Pedestrian

Pedestrian One of Us

Gday all,

Just bought my first pair of boots yesterday- Lange Fluid 80 Fr
    Been wearing them around last night and this morning and Im starting to get a bit concerned Ive got the wrong boots.

First, just want to say theres no 'pain' really, such as would normally be the problem around the shins. This is what Im finding:
    1) After 15-20mins of wearing them sitting/standing my feet get sort of tingly and numb- almost an overheated type feeling as opposed to pain. This is more the case in the right boot, the left boot is much ore tolerable.
    2) My little toe on the right foot goes very numb, possibly it doesnt fit very well into the front of the right boot. Slightly happens in the left boot but not really.
    3) Aside from these two points, the boots are fitting fine, not pressing anywhere or causing pain when i push against the tongues energetically or anything. im not 'walking' around in them to test them out.

Theyre a soft boot and fit better than the other two pair i tried in the store which were Rossi's and Nordica's both in an 80 flex.

Doing the first trip of the season on Sunday and getting pretty worried that ive spent $600 on the wrong pair of boots so any advice, knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Also, have been looking through the last couple of threads on bootfitting etc but was hoping for some specific help on what could be causing these things/not i need to exchange them?

Cheers all,
    Pedestrian

2. TOFF

TOFF Im kind of a big deal Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds like they may just be a fraction tight. If your foot is tingly and hot, sounds like lack of blood flow. Just try loosening them a fraction and see if that helps. Over time you will be able to tighten them up a bit as they pack out.

3. John Deere

John Deere First Runs

What Toff said! Also try using them with stockings instead of socks for the first few uses, then progress to real thin socks, then ski socks. It is normal for new boots to be very snug, this means when they pack out after 5-10 days they will be just right.

4. Podlet

Podlet Part of the Furniture

what type of sock did you have on your foot last night?

5. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

Lange Boots are very narrow and you may need them blown out. Buy some Sock Length stocking and put them on while wearing them, once you have had them on a while take the boots off and mark on your foo the pressure spots and this will tell the boot fitter the adjustments needed.

I went away from Lange to Atomic boots recently as Atomic are wider, us Aussies have wide feet.

Boots can have all sorts of adjustments blowing them out across the widest part of your foot, expanding the to area or heal etc so don't give up, once they are adjusted correctly they will be great (that is assuming they are the boot that suits you and this is why you need a good bot fitter).

Deffinatly wear the stockings skiing at first and once you start bedding them in switch to thin ski socks.

6. John Deere

John Deere First Runs

At this point I am assuming your bootfitter has done his/her job. If pain persists after five days or so, look at taking them back for adjustment, but until then I suggest toughing it out. They will feel significantly different once packed out.

7. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

This sounds like arch support is not quite dialled. Your weight is landing on the metatarsal nerve in the forward part of the arch, just behind the ball of the foot. That's what is causing the hot feet and tingling. If you have footbeds, a put a small foam or rubber shim 3-5 mm thick under the arch area of the footbed. The idea is to spread the weight bearing over the entire arch rather than it being point loaded over the nerve site. It might take a few tries to get it right.

All of this should be dealt with by the shop that sold you the boots originally. Best plan is to go the shop, put the boots on and let the pressure build up. Then when the bootfitter is ready, whip the boots off and point out any pressure points. Alternatively, do this at home and mark the spots with a texta then go to the shop the next day with the boots.

Make small changes and only one at a time. Please don't punch out the shells until you've dealt with this met head nerve problem first. Boot fitting takes an investment of time as well as money.

#7 sly_karma, Jul 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  8. mcravox

mcravox First Runs

Def consider getting some custom footbeds made up. I know it may seem a bit crazy to spend a $100 on something just after spending $600+ on boots, but IMHO I think they are awesome. Just did a season in France and got a new pair of boots. Great for about a month, but then started getting pains in the sides of my legs. My bootman and I (a lot harder in french, haha) tried lots of different things but to no avail. But I bit the bullet and got some footbeds and the problem slowly went away. Just a thought.

9. SimonInAustralia

SimonInAustralia First Runs

My snowboard boots are getting a little uncomfortable in the footbed area after a couple of years use...Any tips on where to get good customs footbeds in Canberra or Jindy?...Any particular brands/types/etc. to look for?

#9 SimonInAustralia, Jul 13, 2007
  10. Betelnut

Betelnut First Runs

I got some SuperFeet in mine. not custom made to your feet but a massive improvemnet over what comes with the boots.

RRP about 50 bucks

11. Pedestrian

Pedestrian One of Us

thanks HEAPS for all that, gives me hope!
    REgarding the socks, had very thin ski socks on then tried thin cotton socks which were a little better but much the same so i wasnt wearing footy socks or anything like that!
    TOFF and JD, lack of blood flow must definately be a problem- however theyre not 'tight' as i can wiggle the toes around a enough to suggest i have the right size/fit etc. the bootfitter suggested the blood circulation from actual skiing rather than just sitting/standing in the shop/at home may account for that.

Otherwise, i think i'll see how they go on the hill tomorrow arvo, maybe after that see if i can get some footbeds or heat the lining to shape them to my foot a bit. If its not sweet by the end of the week I'll definately look at the options ASB, sly and mcravox posted. thanks for those suggestions i'll run through those with the bootfitter when i get back.

CHeers guys and girls, much appreciated.
    Pedestrian

12. Silence

Silence One of Us

foooooooooooooootttttbbbbeeeddddssss

13. Pedestrian

Pedestrian One of Us

[​IMG] thanks Silence, yeah im thinking footbeds will be the first thing i go for after a day or two just in case i find i dont need them- really would like to save $150.

ps managed to stay in my left boot for an hour this morning and the right one for 50mins before taking them off. i was excited [​IMG]

#13 Pedestrian, Jul 14, 2007
  14. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You don't necessarily need custom footbeds. A lot of people get all the support they need from basic Superfeet or similar. Get the weight supported along the entire length of the arch and the hot feet will go away.