1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

GPS / Positioning / EPIRB etc..

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Snow Blowey, Aug 10, 2020.

1. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Just ordered a 66i, saw it on Anaconda for $719 down from $899, knowing what margin is like on Garmin that’s a steal, likely below cost at -20%, must be some sort of manufacturer rebate.

Seth, Chaeron and piolet like this.
  2. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah thanks for letting me know that @CarveMan. I did actually get my hands on mine last week. Switched it on. Its pretty intuitive - but i have used oone of these before. Didn't really do much more than import one satellite tile via wifi. Guessing you can import areas of interest before going on a trip.

Got a potential job coming up over summer where the satellite comms feature could be handy for managing safety of lone workers in remote locations. May end up with a few of these units if i was to jag the job.

Fozzie Bear and CarveMan like this.
  3. CarveMan

Ironically it’s something I’m hoping to not have to use that often. In good weather I’ll use my phone for nav, and if I stack it or have a major mechanical where there’s phone reception that’s what I’ll use. So if I use the Garmin it means I’m lost in shit weather or in some other bad situation!

ecowain, climberman and Snow Blowey like this.
  4. CarveMan

Just arrived, got a screen protected and a silicon case coming, having a play now, looking forward to getting outdoors and being able to use it!

5. GS

GS Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Shouldn't get lost on your 5km from home adventure!