1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

GPS / Positioning / EPIRB etc..

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Snow Blowey, Aug 10, 2020.

1. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Just ordered a 66i, saw it on Anaconda for $719 down from $899, knowing what margin is like on Garmin that’s a steal, likely below cost at -20%, must be some sort of manufacturer rebate.

Seth, Chaeron and piolet like this.
  2. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah thanks for letting me know that @CarveMan. I did actually get my hands on mine last week. Switched it on. Its pretty intuitive - but i have used oone of these before. Didn't really do much more than import one satellite tile via wifi. Guessing you can import areas of interest before going on a trip.

Got a potential job coming up over summer where the satellite comms feature could be handy for managing safety of lone workers in remote locations. May end up with a few of these units if i was to jag the job.

Fozzie Bear and CarveMan like this.
  3. CarveMan

Ironically it’s something I’m hoping to not have to use that often. In good weather I’ll use my phone for nav, and if I stack it or have a major mechanical where there’s phone reception that’s what I’ll use. So if I use the Garmin it means I’m lost in shit weather or in some other bad situation!

ecowain, climberman and Snow Blowey like this.
  4. CarveMan

Just arrived, got a screen protected and a silicon case coming, having a play now, looking forward to getting outdoors and being able to use it!

5. GS

GS Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Shouldn't get lost on your 5km from home adventure!

6. GS

GS Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Planning a remote trip for Jan and as my GME410 PLB battery is out of date, my options were a refurb by GME for about $210, or $319 for a new PLB.

As much as I detest e-waste, I went the new path with an Ocean Signal rescueme PLB1. The thing is tiny; about a 1/4 of the GME and half the weight.

skifree, Chaeron and Majikthise like this.
  7. neilmny

neilmny One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Found myself in the same circumstances earlier this year and I bought a 2nd hand KTI SA2GN much smaller than the GME and way lighter. New ones are Aussie made, around $270.00 and have a 10 year battery life.

8. mholling

mholling One of Us

Yep GME got left behind by the newer KTI and Ocean Signal models, their model is a brick by comparison. (Their battery replacement fee was also unrealistic.) I was pleased to get rid of mine when the battery passed its date. I chose the KTI for 10-year battery life.

PLBs don't seem to have replaceable batteries or recharging ports, I assume due to strict regulatory requirements? At least they are affordable nowadays; I remember paying $600+ for my GME in 2008!

9. neilmny

neilmny One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I think the inability to charge PLB's is to ensure the integrity of the unit. They are sealed and "certified" (my word) to limit the possibility of failure when needed. Not much good having a safety beacon that someone forgot to charge.

skifree likes this.
  10. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I don't have any suggestions, but if you happen to still have a data cable for the eTrex, I'd be interested in talking to you! :D

I got mine when I was doing Duke of Ed hikes around 1998, but never got the cable to go with it.

Chaeron likes this.
  11. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Probably do somewhere. Will have a look.