Graupel or Sago

Arne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
Today we had alot of graupel but everyone I talked to called it sago. I even heard corn snow which it is not( that's spring snow having gone through multiple freeze/thaw cycles). I dont know where sago came from and its not a technical term for small hail/snow.
It's the same as every time it snows people call it powder when to me powder is something that plumes and fills the sky behind me when I ski.
I don't correct people but it annoys the sh?t out of me. I could go on sastrugi/coral, ice when it's only hard pack, etc...
I am clearly old fashioned but I hate losing these classic forms of terminologies.
Please help...

catzizme

Hard Yards
Apr 5, 2020
Today we had alot of graupel but everyone I talked to called it sago. I even heard corn snow which it is not( that's spring snow having gone through multiple freeze/thaw cycles). I dont know where sago came from and its not a technical term for small hail/snow.
It's the same as every time it snows people call it powder when to me powder is something that plumes and fills the sky behind me when I ski.
I don't correct people but it annoys the sh?t out of me. I could go on sastrugi/coral, ice when it's only hard pack, etc...
I am clearly old fashioned but I hate losing these classic forms of terminologies.
Please help...
I've also heard it called "snai" as in "snow hail", they were kiwis though =p

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Please help...
It's been called 'sago' in Australia for at least 55 years. 'Graupel' is a germanic word. What's wrong with a long established Australian term? I'm old fashioned too, but I don't see why Aussies can't use an Aussie term. (Agree with you in regards to powder though)

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
It's been called 'sago' in Australia for at least 55 years. 'Graupel' is a germanic word. What's wrong with a long established Australian term? I'm old fashioned too, but I don't see why Aussies can't use an Aussie term. (Agree with you in regards to powder though)
That’s outrageous. What audacity! Only the authentic terms rooted in well-established alpine culture have any credibility!

Whatever next. Do you propose we use machinery to move people up mountains or make snow?

Seriously, what is the world coming to - young folks nowadays! It is irresponsible young rebels like you that start the rot!

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Are sago and Graupel the same?

Graupel is opaque and forms where water freezes on snowflakes so ground level needs to be warm and atmosphere cold.

Sago is translucent soft hail and forms where snow melts (warm atmosphere) and cooler lower down. It is basically sleet.

I use the term sago for sleet on or above the snow line.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Please help...
I use Graupel. And educated a bunch of students today, but also mentioned it could be referred to as sago.
Chairlift chats can sometimes be fun! How many different words for snow/types of snow can we think of…

Reactions: Arne and Chaeron

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Please help...
If your going to have a rant about people using the correct terminology at least don't be wrong. Corn snow is the technical term for what you described.

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Are sago and Graupel the same?

Graupel is opaque and forms where water freezes on snowflakes so ground level needs to be warm and atmosphere cold.

Sago is translucent soft hail and forms where snow melts (warm atmosphere) and cooler lower down. It is basically sleet.

I use the term sago for sleet on or above the snow line.
Sago round, graupel not?

Also, word correct on a ski forum......

I don't mind a bit of butter (soft groomer), I like hoar too!

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Please help...
It’s been called sago as long as I’ve been skiing. And graupel, but everyone says sago. I say sago.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using