1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Tutorial Great Avi discussion.

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by DPS Driver, Nov 17, 2020.

1. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

This is a great discussion on avalanche education. It hits the spot regarding understanding the data and how we interpret and use it. There's a couple of great tips on the go-no go decision.
    You can skip the first 10 minutes and the "nails down the blackboard" Dynafit ad.
    https://www.wildsnow.com/28631/unraveling-avalanche-education-tdp-80/#more-28631

I didn't put this in the backcountry section on purpose. Listen to this and you will understand why. Covid has changed the clientele in avi education. So thought the broader snow talk thread as the better place for it.

LMB, skifree, SMSkier and 1 other person like this.
  2. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Interesting listen on the pedagogy front.

DPS Driver likes this.
  3. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator

Do the Davenport approach sometime - and slow things down. less movement and more observation.

DPS Driver likes this.
  4. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

I totally get the Dav approach but I also know how shattered I'd feel if I came across someone I could help and wasn't suitably tooled up for the job.

I know this from first hand experience on more than one occasion, where having my gear, saved lives of others not in my group.

The better way to process this is knowing that someone that experienced is always trying to test themselves in making better decisions and testing their appetite for risk. Rather than sitting back and telling himself that he knows it all.

Fozzie Bear and DidSurfNowSki like this.