1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Green season prep for the 2020 BC season

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Interruptedbyfireworks, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Interruptedbyfireworks

Interruptedbyfireworks One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I'm very green to the backcountry world (pun intended), having gone on my first BC wander to Ramshead range last September and another short solo jaunt out the top of Thredbo in November. My plan this summer was to do some day and overnight hikes to build my navigation skills and general outdoorsy-ness, so that when I eventually save up enough money for a split-board I can gradually do more BC boarding.

Obviously this summer was a bit of false start, and so far I've only gone on 2 very short day hikes. BUT this weekend I'm going on my first overnight hike (outside of my military days, which does not count and I have definitely tried my best to erase from my memory), so I thought I would indulge my vanity and start a thread documenting my journey from nervous Nelly to split-boarder extraordinaire!

Being based near Canberra, I have a lot of national parks near me notwithstanding the burnt areas, and I am partial to a day-trip to KNP, especially now that I have a new car that has the magic of cruise control.

Would love to hear all your advice and encouragement, though you should know that I have literally zero intention of doing anything without an excessive amount of planning first, I have a very low tolerance for risk!

TLDR; office worker gets sick of lift lines and wants to build skills needed for backcountry skiing/boarding

2. Interruptedbyfireworks

So trip no. 1 of 2020 will be a short overnight hike in the ACT this weekend, and I am excitedly planning my gear list. I have spreadsheets galore and my only real danger will be cursing myself for overpacking (what if it gets cold? what if it rains? what if I see a unicorn?).

I've got my fancy new 3-piece poles (Black Diamond Alpine FLZ trekking poles), an ultralight down jacket (Arcteryx Cerium LT), rain jacket (Outdoor Research Helium II), PLB, first aid kit, headlamp (Petzl Actik Core), and I think my Osprey Kresta 30 will be too small so I'm borrowing an Osprey Aura 65 as well as a tent (probably the 3UF Lanshun 2p that uses hiking poles), sleeping mat and sleeping bag. My intention is to just bring food to eat cold since I'm a lazy cook/eater at the best of times, as well as some kind of flask for wine/whiskey (suggestions for a good container for this welcomed!)

It's looking to be wet this weekend and I don't have any camp shoes which is my main thing I am lacking as far as I can tell, but I can probably squeeze in my faithful pink ugg boots since a 65L pack will be huge for such a short hike in mild weather.

What do you think? Have I missed anything? SO excited/nervous!

PS yes I should be working but we only live once right?

3. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Over time you work out what you really need, if you dont use it (and its not for emergencies) ditch it next trip.

Where are you going?

4. GS

GS Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

5. zapruda

zapruda One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Wise words. I really try to emphasise this when I guide. Don't pack your fears and reassess all gear POST trip. It amazing how little we need to enjoy ourselves outdoors.

6. zapruda

Just grab the cheapest bottle of water from coles/woolies, drink the water and then put your wine/whisky in that. Then you have another bottle for the next day. Light and cheap.

A big no on the ugg boots. If its wet those things are going to retain so much water. I never bring camp shoes. At the end of the day, regardless If its dry or wet my shoes get loosened, socks come off and my feet go back in to the shoes. Wet feet are part of bushwalking and unless its horribly cold its not a big deal. As long as your feet get dried out in the tent then you are all good.

7. Interruptedbyfireworks

Mulligan's flat. Should only be a pretty short walk each way, with facilities there including (non-potable) water

Ha that would help LOL that is actually a hard part, since it's hard to gauge how hot/cold I will get. I've got my ski gear and cycling gear sorted depending on the weather but not sure for hiking. Probably long pants, a merino tee and then a fleece/long-sleeved merino to layer as needed.

For shoes I have trail running shoes, not hiking shoes, but for such a short distance I'm not too concerned.

SMSkier, nezumi and telecrag like this.
  8. Interruptedbyfireworks

But what do you wear if you need to use the ablutions during the night? Just put your shoes back on?

skifree likes this.
  9. Interruptedbyfireworks

Ozgirl likes this.
  10. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

You forgot the silken thread to secure the unicorn, and I always pack camp shoes, in my case hot pink or flouro lime green crocs in non-winter and bivvy boots on snow
    EDIT
    Drink cask wine and then you will always have spare water carriers

11. Interruptedbyfireworks

Oh my well aren’t these pretty

12. zapruda

Exactly. Shoes back on. You are going have to do it at some point in the morning anyway.

I’m not going to preach about ultralight or lightweight gear but I will say that enjoyment goes up as your pack weight comes down. Really think about all your gear choices.

You can’t replicate the comforts of home without being uncomfortable carrying your pack during the day.

EDIT: I'm not talking about sacrificing comfort or safety.

13. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

I do draw the line at the four poster bed and hangings but you do have to make reasonable choices between carried weight and comfort. Don't skimp on the sleeping stuff, a good nites rest is too important not to make a priority.
    You can get by with a pretty minimal kit during the day so long as you sleep well at nite. You do have to research conditions before you go but even I leave the Arctic parka behind in summer, if the weather goes pear shaped you have to have enough to survive and it isn't as much as some people fear. I can eat cold food but I have to have hot coffee in the AM; I can't function without caffeine

14. Interruptedbyfireworks

I'll probably err on the side of bringing too much for this first time, and can narrow it down from there. I am getting excited to learn what my comfort tolerance is haha I do sleep cold though, so that's something to consider. When I stayed at the Thredbo YHA last year I was in my thermals plus fleece jacket and beanie and two extra blankets and was still cold, whereas the other lady in my room had on just underwear and a sheet. She was like....don't ever go backcountry camping you will freeze LOL

15. Interruptedbyfireworks

Yeah this is a good point, and if we're honest I'm going to be so close to civilisation this weekend that if it all goes pear-shaped I'll just call my husband to come pick me up LOL

Eh I can take or leave caffeine, wine is life though :p

16. pegasusSki

pegasusSki One of Us

c'mon!! You are an ex soldier, sailor or airperson. Answer - is Yes. ;-)

I have never used camp shoes - and yes I struggle into any pair at 2am - it's grim - but needs must unless you risk thorns etc. Some people use Crocs of course.

A change of socks for each new day also helps*, a bit of talcum powder, even if the shoes are still damp if they got wet in the day. This reduces blisters, and is a bit of a morale booster.

*I say that, and carry a spair pair, but often don't follow this advice especially if only 2 days ;-) I find personally that I 'degrade' from Day 3 - I need to be stay warmer, and dryer from then on in, as all problems compound. 2 days - you can almost walk through anything unless injured and immobile.

17. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Then Chateau Cardboard is your friend.
    Seriously tho if you feel the cold then down is your best friend, but you do have to keep it dry.

18. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Actually unless in the field there were standing orders regarding LW shoes for the ablution areas, Thongs/flipflops/jandals were mandatory

19. Interruptedbyfireworks

Yep piss-paddling is walking around without shoes and is/was a chargeable offence

Meh maybe I should get one of those she-wees and an extra bottle and just avoid the issue altogether

pegasusSki likes this.
  20. GS

which creates the issue of keeping the multiple bottles well marked and separate :)

21. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Realistically if you are considering this for use inside the tent - it's going to get awkward. Unless you can get the angle and height right, you would be better off putting shoes on and going outside.

This is also worth consideration for afterwards: https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/blog...reusable-pee-rag-by-jamie-nurse-betty-siebold

22. Interruptedbyfireworks

I love that this is where the conversation has gone LOL it's an important consideration though.

Yeah I think the she-wee in the tent sounds better in theory than practice, especially considering there are actual toilets nearby I'll be able to use. If I was in the middle of a snow-storm I'd probably think differently, but I don't plan on being in that scenario either!

In all seriousness, I've heard of the pee-rag but (hopefully this isn't TMI, we're all adults right?) I'm going to use my modi-bodi underwear which has proven to be very effective even in day-to-day life when there isn't toilet paper around. I highly recommend it for any other women who reads this. Probably not ideal for long hikes, but for overnight it'll be fine

23. Neddy

Neddy Hard Yards

if you're not taking camp shoes make sure your boots don't freeze in a tightly closed position - breaking into frozen boots when you're busting in the middle of the night isn't much fun (from experience)

24. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Jeez I hope not, I was hoping to remain 17YO until the day I die

25. Neddy

Neddy Hard Yards

back to your packing list - if you are looking at luxury items, take one on each trip and see if you actually use it and need it, and see what you wished you had with you. over time you'll work out what is worth carrying the extra weight for. down booties are it for me

26. Interruptedbyfireworks

Yikes I do hope it doesn't get to freezing temps this weekend! My shoes are basically mesh runners with grippy lugs on the bottom. Not end-game shoes obviously, but I already had them and I'm trying to be frugal on the non-snow related items

27. Neddy

Neddy Hard Yards

sorry, that was looking ahead to your splitboarding trips in winter. you'll be okay in trail runners at this time of year

28. Interruptedbyfireworks

Yeah it's a good point thank you, that's going to require a whole extra bit of preparation. The stakes are a lot higher in winter!

29. nezumi

My no-compromise item is my pillow. More power to those who can sleep with their head on a stuff sack filled with that day's clothes, but that ain't me - and a poor night's sleep isn't worth saving 400g.

Just wait until you get to the point of discussing how to manage #2 in frozen backcountry.....

Realistically, people who go backcountry hiking or touring get pretty comfortable with bodily functions, pretty quickly. It might be confronting to modern sensibilities at first, but one you get over those hang-ups it's not such a big deal.

I'm still trying to convince my gay, hiking loving friend that he needs to write a "self-discovery" book, a la "Wild". I already have the perfect title for him: "Does a bear s#!t in the woods?"

30. GS

31. Interruptedbyfireworks

Ooooh that looks like luxury. I haven't actually put any thought into a pillow which is probably a bit of an oversight, I'm not as young as I was and I have a wonky chest that hurts at unpredictable times (tore my top two ribs from my sternum a few years ago and its never healed properly)

32. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Roll up your cloths, presto a pillow.:thumbs:

33. Interruptedbyfireworks

I'm sure to have an abundance of clothes too, looking at my packing spreadsheet so far LOL

skifree likes this.
  34. Interruptedbyfireworks

I decided to duck out to the shops before the heavens open up this evening (haven't gotten the new car wet yet and not keen on starting now), I am now the proud owner of a platypus platypreserve bladder, collapsible cup, spork and water filtration bottle (Katadyn BeFree 0.6L)!

So unbelievably excited over this small seemingly mundane items :love:

35. nezumi

For putting together a gear list and collating your available equipment, I recommend lighterpack.

Here's my work in progress short trip (3 nights or less) list: https://lighterpack.com/r/3o2qw2

I haven't decided on a cook system yet, but I'm leaning towards a BRS 3000 stove and 700mL cooking pot for solo trips - still on the fence for trips with my 4yo.

36. skifree

The only stove for o/n camping & snow camping is the MSR Whisper Light.

And find a Ti pot that it fits within.

37. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

I also love my pillow. There are now some very light, inflatable ones and I sleep much better using one of those rather than rolled up clothes.

Interruptedbyfireworks, GS and zac150 like this.
  38. zac150

zac150 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I second the post hike review, we have seriously dropped the weight out of the pack by just looking at what wasn’t used. It either needs to be used or is essential (wet weather gear).

I also like to keep gear lists with weights, as it’s much easier to be ruthless when looking at a screen. It also helped when replacing gear.

but I do have dual lists, on a normal hike my pack weight is well under 10 kg plus food - I did the overland track with under 15kg and this included wine. On these hikes I pack a light set of hut shoes, my feet have taken too much of a beating over the years and soft light shoes at the end of the day are nice. I also use them to cross rivers in to keep shoes dry.

If going ultra light I can drop three kg of gear, but it’s a fine line between enjoying the lighter weight and missing a few comforts.

39. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Beg to differ but MSR Reactor is the answer you seek.
    For winter, at the cost low end of must haves are a few Voile straps and the top end, a Garmin InReach.

40. Tanuki

Tanuki Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Crocs from ALDI, seriously. They weigh next time nothing, can be strapped securely to the pack and provide good comfort and ease of use at 2am.

Good thread BTW.

41. Tanuki

Tanuki Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Old school. Jetboil for the win.

42. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

43. zac150

+1 for the jet boil, too many times I’ve hiked through the rain holding the jet boil cooking soup whilst I walked.

I use a set of vivo barefoot

the boss uses

Both as light as crocs, same comfort but fit a bit better.

44. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

um hello... why wasn't i invited???

45. Ozgirl

pfft!

I am like you and i slept in the ice hotel! appropriate rated sleeping bag makes all the difference!

46. Ozgirl

plus 3 for jetboil!

Are you wishing you had invited me yet?

47. zac150

wasn’t it a very famous Aussie mountaineer who when asked what the hardest thing about climbing Everest replied, pissing through six inches of clothing with a three inch prick.

sorry to take it to the gutter.

but if you are looking for a book to read on the weekend I recommend “how to shit in the woods” very funny and happy to lend.

FWIW I’d add a silk liner and water bucket to the list, liners protect the down bag, they keep them clean. The water bucket I use holds 20 litres and means you only go to the creek once. I’ve seen too many people not drink enough to rehydrate because they couldn’t be bothered re filling.

48. skifree

Overkill.

49. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Silk liner also adds a degree or two to the comfort level of the bag IMO.

I take down booties for snow, it does feel weird standing around in the snow in them, but the change over is like coffee, chocolate, whiskey and a beer all at once, ahhhh! I don't bother green season, just the walking boots.

50. Interruptedbyfireworks

I do have a silk liner too actually, bought it in the mont sales a few months ago!