1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Green season prep for the 2020 BC season

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Interruptedbyfireworks, Mar 3, 2020.

1. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

FWIW when it comes to sleeping bags and sleeping systems, way too many people forget the layering system. Kind of funny that so many outdoors people preach layering during the day then jump in a single layer sleeping system.

I prefer a lighter bag, yes I sleep warm, but it allows me to layer the system with thermals, silk liner, bag (I use a down blanket in summer and cheap Bag brought in a Kathmandu market in winter) plus a bivi, total system is still lighter than a heavy duty bag an I have had this system in low temps.

#301 zac150, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    nfip and Interruptedbyfireworks like this.
  2. satanas

satanas Addicted

The EN tests are good for comparing different bags, and are objective. What everyone needs to figure out for themselves is how they line up with the "standard person" the test is based on. I've had winter bags that were both too cold and way too hot in the past so warmer isn't always better; you need to be comfortable, not hypothermic *or* hyperthermic.

In my experience, it's better to take a not-too-hot bag and lightweight down pants plus a down jacket. The insulated clothes are handy at night, especially if people want to (= are stupid enough to) cook outside. If it's a particularly cold night, they get worn to bed. And IMHO/IME anyone who claims wearing clothes to bed makes you colder is deluded.

3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

They won’t be quite as warm as down pants, but my new Patagonia Nano-Air pants are my new favourite thing in the world.

4. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

As somebody who sleeps in their down gear I agree with you with a major caveat, most modern UL sleeping bags are cut so tight and skinny that there isn't room inside one to allow down clothing to loft, so if you are planning on layering up to sleep you need to find a bag designed to do this, usually such bags are called Expedition cut bags and they are 150 to 200mm bigger in girth, up to 1800mm in some cases. I'm a bit bigger than average and need such a bag for normal use.
    PHD in England make some bags specified as overbags that are worth looking at for this purpose but they are hideously expensive
    https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/hispar-down-overbag
    https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/zeta-synthetic-primaloft-overbag
    PHD have a few pages devoted to sleeping systems involving layering and wearing clothing to sleep in
    https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/what-is-sleep-systems

5. zac150

let’s be fair about the quote, the issue people see with wearing all clothes to bed is when you get out, you are effecting taking off a huge down jacket (sleeping bag) so you will be colder in the short term and that can slow things down in the morning.

Also many garments that rely on loft can be less effective as the weight of the outer garment compress the inner, it’s like wearing a down jacket under a tight ski jacket has no effect as the down can’t loft. I’m not saying it won’t loft and won’t be warmer I’m just saying we need to understand the effects.

#305 zac150, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    telenomore and skifree like this.
  6. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Although as strange as it might seem moderately compressed down doesn't seem to lose that much warmth.
    The cool factor when getting out of bed in the morning isn't something that I have ever felt much and when I have I find it goes away as soon as I have coffee in my hand. It is that first 90 seconds that is hard
    There is an ongoing discussion over at BPL on overstuffing down and the optimum level seems to be 2.5 times the amount that gives maximum loft per fill weight. This is certainly true of my old duvet parka and was the rationale of all of the old Fairydown sleeping bags that had such a good reputation. For skinny cut sleeping bags the old technique was to lay the parka over the top of the bag and a lot of people sewed buttons on to the sleeping bag to hold the parka in place.
    All of this is of course pointless if your mattress isn't warm enough, something it took me an age to learn and an extra CCF pad is always worth packing on snow

7. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

8. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, nah..... A good bag will be warm enough zipped up and cool enough with venting so you don't have to worry about layering your sleeping place.

skifree likes this.
  9. nfip

nfip Cold n' Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

fwiw we had Thermolite bag liners down south.
    and a decent bag , was One Planet iirc. will confirm exact beast .
    I'd wear merino thermals top n bottoms, and a mid fleece , fleece pants down around the ankles pull them up in the night in need.
    In the snow in a bivvy was sweet.
    so I'm a fan of the layering worked for me.
    was only about 8 or 10 below so not too bad.
    no wind....

Spence and zac150 like this.
  10. Fozzie Bear

When you are carrying everything on your back, it has to be minimalist, so having a layer system for sleeping in addition to bag, mat and syn/downmat is excess to requirements if you can make the bag work. As I suggested, zipped up in full mummy mode can cope to say -15 and vented when not so cold.

11. nfip

we are wearing the layers.
    so out of the bag into the shell moving around.
    you need the mat regardless of the bag IMO.
    but whatever works for one not necessary for all.
    as we know on these pages very well. ;)

12. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Yeah Fozzie but the warm layers are not in addition to the sleeping bags rating but an integral part of achieving the desired minimum temperature plus a big margin of safety. Mattress insulation should exceed that bags expected minimums for sure.
    But wearing up to an inch / 25mm of insulation inside your sleeping bag is accepted winter practice for saving weight on your back, maybe this is why athletic cut down clothing is so popular in cold places. Overbags are accepted practice also because not everybody can afford a dedicated winter only bag and the use thereof helps with keeping condensation from saturating your down if you are not using a vapour barrier liner

nfip, zac150 and Fozzie Bear like this.
  13. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Happy to be called deluded. Sleeping bags don't provide heat, they insulate, and rely on your body heat to loft and insulate. A simple test is to be fully dressed, then get into your sleeping bag and put your hand down between your outer clothing and the inside of the sleeping. It will be cold in there for much longer, not to mention incredibly uncomfortable to sleep in your clothes. IMO the warmest, most comfortable night's sleep is had by wearing no more than thermal underwear, and using a silk liner. Combine this with a 4 season down bag and it is, for me, warm as toast on the coldest nights, and a bl....dy comfortable nights sleep. I would say though, if you are buying a bag for snow camping, don't scrimp, go 4 season with the best loft. Expensive but you won't regret it.

14. Fozzie Bear

Plus it is nice to give the day clothes a bit of time out to recuperate.

Spence, nfip and skifree like this.
  15. zac150

yeah except my sleep system is under 1kg, waterproof and I’ve had it to minus 12 in the snow.

16. Fozzie Bear

Which goes to show, we all have different preferences, hence experiment until you find what works for you.

17. nfip

ccchk cchk boom !!!!

18. Fozzie Bear

19. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Just out of general interest; what is the lowest temperatures people here have slept out in? Here in Oz I remember one freezing night at the big rock in Pretty Valley that was well below -15C and my coldest was in the Adirondacks at around -30C. I was warmer with less gear in the Adirondacks but a much better mattress

20. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

21. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I did a minus 12 in a camper trailer if that counts? I recall spilling some water and being concerned about walking around in socks so grabbed the torch and a rag, only to find it had turned to ice so I picked it up and turfed it out the door, problem solved. Minus 15 in an insulated caravan but that's woosie I know. Worst night ever was about minus nothing sleeping in a car. Brrrr. No mattress, just a 3-piece work suit and a briefcase for a pillow, but at least it was a station wagon so I could stretch out.

22. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

-5 in the ice hotel in Sweden, -14 'outside'

-25 rated sleeping bag!

23. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

-23 for me, on top of a mountain, full moon, we could actually watch the snow hoaring. I was in my old one planet, which was OK, but my thermarest wasn't quite up to it, so a restless night of turning.

I agree that layering can work as @zac150 does it, IMO a down jacket on top of the sleeping bag is warmer than wearing it inside the bag.

If you are going to sleep in the snow, comfort level of -15 at least IMO.

24. Interruptedbyfireworks

Interruptedbyfireworks One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Not as much as I would like - I’ve been a bit scared to leave the house. Thanks for the reminder though, I need to up my game :thumbs:

skifree likes this.
  25. skifree

The single most important thing to do between now and Winter is exercise and regular.

And not only bike, you must get good kms walking with a little day pack. Target 10kms a day on weekend and at at least 2 x 5kms during the week.

26. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

So much this. Pre-Covid19, I was cycling 40-50kms/day commuting. I went on one hike and found myself out of breath quite quickly. It's a different activity, and while a good base level of fitness will help you, it can't replace training in the activity itself (or as best you can manage out-of-season).

27. telecrag

Road riding does something, but not much. Proper mountain biking is the closest thing I have found to skiing, in muscle use, breathing, body position, and feel.

28. zac150

In terms of exercise I also believe in strength work, so many people forget about it, they can walk all day without a pack, but add weight and it’s like a hand brake has been pulled.

that core strength that allows the pack to be thrown on the back time and time again is priceless.

29. Interruptedbyfireworks

So what you’re all saying is that I’m in for a world of hurt...woohoo!

Rabid K9, Spence, telecrag and 2 others like this.
  30. zac150

yep

31. Interruptedbyfireworks

This is what I’ve been focusing on.

Need to up the cardio, and more specifically walking I reckon.

Would jogging be an ok substitute?

skifree likes this.
  32. zac150

Jogging is fine

33. Untele-whippet

34. skifree

Not if you do the pre-work.

Cycling does not load the knees or associated muscles enough. You also need to push pretty hard to get enough heart lung. Cycling is just too efficient a mode of transport. OK as a cross train thing but it is not core.

If you like jogging. But I find more walking is better, and walk up hill to get the heart lung work happening.

My observation is more people pick up injuries or niggling strains and so on when they jog unless they have a long background in this. The walking plan reduces this risk.

The other thing is if you do 10kms walk on Sat and Sun it is at least 2 hours of movement each session. And it's the 2 hours that is also important. A 1/2 hour or 1 hour jog does not strain the leg system that you will later want to spend 2 hours at a time in mostly continuous movement.

35. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I found riding gave me better pack strength then running. This is carrying 50 plus kilo packs out in the bush.

Spence and zac150 like this.
  36. skifree

Yes, energy loading is important. But it's important to be balanced. So with each slice and each stubby alternate which hand you are holding said item in so your left and right side are equally exercised in strength and fine motor control.

37. Untele-whippet

Sage words indeed.

Spence, nezumi and skifree like this.
  38. skull

I mentioned above, spent 25 years as a grunt and 12 of those I was full time. With the exception of actually being out in the bush lugging our marching order I found cycling gave me the best training to assist with humping. Running just gave me injuries

Mind you we also did a lot of humping, my longest was an 80 clicker, my heaviest back and set up would been roughly 2/3rds of my bodyweight.

Spence likes this.
  39. skifree

Your background is well removed from the OP's. I do note your comment on running.

The Army is a bit crazy with their manpower expectations. But this is a whole separate topic.

skull likes this.
  40. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

This needs highlighting. Commuting or road riding, and I'd agree with @skifree
    MTB involves a lot more dynamic loading, and you don't want to see my heart lung reaction. Whatever the base method, surely a lot of up/down and uneven surface is very beneficial

41. telecrag

Its good for core strength, cardio, and muscle, but I would also agree with @skifree that carrying a pack changes load on joints, and walking with a pack is the most fun way to work that. I definitely find MTB keeps my ski muscles/fitness up.

42. skull

ride up hills. Save the knees.

43. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

I'll also do my usual recommendation of stair climbing. Oh, and climbing around National Parks for half the summer in the dark lugging gear ;)

44. Ozgirl

OP has a defence background...

45. zac150

Others have more or less beat me to it, but I was going to say the difference is your riding, you do single trail mtn biking which has a lot of core and upper body work. I agree this is great strength work.

personally I think People get a little precious about this topic, - the best thing for hiking is hiking- if you doing regular exercise great a few sessions of hiking with a pack and the body will adjust.

46. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

You need a whole body work out .Team Bears could supervise such activity !Core training very important in backcountry .

Interruptedbyfireworks and skull like this.
  47. Interruptedbyfireworks

Ok I will do some walking.

I got injuries from doing too many half marathons around 6-7 years ago so jogging isn’t good for me anyway.

I just get scared walking around quangers and running/cycling feels safer LOL

skifree and skull like this.
  48. skull

LOL

There is some ok singletrack in Jerra on the hill.

49. Interruptedbyfireworks

True, but army ≠ navy LOL

skifree likes this.
  50. Ozgirl

You still had fitness!

you're fitter than me! (and more flexible too!)