Greyhound Canada cancelling significant operations from October 2018

Discussion in 'Canada' started by asammut_au, Jul 10, 2018.

1. asammut_au

asammut_au Hard Yards

In case anyone is relying on greyhound in the near future, I received this email today:

Greyhound Canada Update
    We have made the difficult decision to make substantial changes to our service in Canada effective October 31, 2018.

In Quebec, we are able to continue the routes and services we currently offer today.

We are permanently cancelling all Greyhound Canada services in the provinces of Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

In British Columbia, we are cancelling all services as well. However, Greyhound US and BoltBus will continue to offer 4 daily trips each between Vancouver, BC and Seattle.

In Ontario, the majority of the routes will continue to operate. Here is a list of cities where Ontario services have been canceled.

We will maintain a full schedule through October with the last trips departing from affected stations on October 31, 2018.

For customers who purchased tickets online or via our call center, we are automatically refunding tickets for canceled trips. Customers who purchased their tickets through other channels may call us at 1-877-463-6446 and our customer care team will process a refund. Additional details are available here.

This has been a difficult decision for us, but we've seen ridership drop consistently since 2010 and continuing service on the affected routes has become unsustainable.

We sincerely appreciate your business over the years. It's been a pleasure serving you.

2. mannyk

mannyk One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

wow

JoeKing likes this.
  3. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

I've got a hire car :D

4. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Much media about this across Canada. Governments claim they had no request from Greyhound for discussion of subsidy or other assistance. There had been some reductions of service in BC already, the writing was on the wall.

A couple of other bus operators already claiming they will offer service on routes like Calgary-Vancouver but no formal announcement so far. Western Canada has been very light for public transport the entire 30 years I've lived here. Distances huge, population small. Most visitors find they need a rental vehicle unless they're willing to limit their tourism to the cities.

5. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Sounds like Australia.

6. sly_karma

Ski Pass - Gold

My impression 30 yrs ago that there was more and better transit services in Australia. But I came from the Illawarra, so I was used to the services developed for the relatively high population of the Sydney region and its surrounds.

7. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Just look at how many airlines have tried and failed into Cooma airport! It's been like a circus merry-go-round. For ffs, we had a perfectly good rail line to Cooma for decades...and what did the gov do...stop it....and rip the line up to boot. Australia is the daftest country on the planet.

8. sly_karma

Ski Pass - Gold

I coulda flown East-West
    But the ticket was outta my range
    I coulda gone rail
    But they said I looked a little strange
    The Budget girl's just got the sack
    The interstate bus just breaks my back
    I'm sick of getting home
    Counting my remaining change

JoeKing likes this.