Grooming/snowmaking Ben Lomond

shadow1

Hard Yards
Apr 23, 2008
I heard there's is plans for summer grooming and snowmaking planned
so Ben Lomond can open in marginal snow conditions. Is this dream or reality?

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
Some grooming WILL happen this year. Admittedly it will only be in the toboggan area at this stage, at a date set to be announced very soon, and it will happen on a weekend prior to the season this year, so we need as many as can make themselves available there to me it happen.

Snow making on the other hand is a little (read long or eventual or whatever) way off until we get sufficient infrastructure to make it viable without needing to raise the cost of lift tickets dramatically to cover it.

Flea Foot

Hard Yards
Oct 5, 2008
we were up there yesterday too much snow everywhere to even think of going outside !! I think tooo late again for a action, we just hope that the road gets some urgent attention, dreadful condition, but be thankfull the rubbish skip at the rangers hut has been collected and a new one left !! There are new signs every where on the road that look a lot neater and less dejected, the corner's on Jacobs Ladder may have been a bit hard to rename but one is there !!

The boy from Tas

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2007
Tas
Picard-no-facepalm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

benny b boy

First Runs
Aug 1, 2006
Hobart
right i need some help! i'm heading up the ben for 5 weekdays this year, and i want to make some snow!!! All i need is a pressure cleaner, a petrol one would be the best. the idea is to test it in the carpark, where there is little or no snow and then see how much snow we can make off say, 10 litres of pertol/$13. Most of them have their own pump on them, so it'd just be a matter of putting the pickup hose in the creek, pointing the nozel up in the air on a cold night and we could easily make a few cubic meters of snow! Does anyone have a petrol pressure cleaner their willing to use?

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
benny b boy said:
right i need some help! i'm heading up the ben for 5 weekdays this year, and i want to make some snow!!! All i need is a pressure cleaner, a petrol one would be the best. the idea is to test it in the carpark, where there is little or no snow and then see how much snow we can make off say, 10 litres of pertol/$13. Most of them have their own pump on them, so it'd just be a matter of putting the pickup hose in the creek, pointing the nozel up in the air on a cold night and we could easily make a few cubic meters of snow! Does anyone have a petrol pressure cleaner their willing to use?

This will not work. It's been tried before, you make ice not snow, and it has to be really cold to do that even. You need correct nucleation to make snow IE compressed air as well as a pressure washer.

The boy from Tas

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2007
Tas
indeed...
ive got half the stuff here for a proper air/water combo gun.. just need the time money and energy to finish it off.. but then again, that brings me back to the above picture
laugh.gif

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
Snowmaking on Ben is possible, and there have been a number of studies to prove it.

BUT, at the moment it is not ecnomically viable. There is not enough water in the dam for snowmaking AND the villge to operate, meaning a new a dam would need to be built; the cost of opreating diesel powered snowguns and pumps continues to increase, meaning lift ticket pices would need to also increase to cover this cost; and the current 'under-snow' surface is not suitable to snow grooming, meaning groomers (which would also need to be bought) would become damaged and again increase the cost of lift tickets to cover maintenance.

Believe me I am all for snowmaking on Ben, however, how many woud be willing to pay up to possibly $90 a day to ski on it?

Maybe WHEN and IF mains power is suppied to the Ben, it may be affordable. Who knows??

benny b boy

First Runs
Aug 1, 2006
Hobart
but there is pleanty of water going down the creek, just put a tanks next to pit and pump out of that? as for the cost of the snow makers...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Maxcimus

Hard Yards
Jul 11, 2007
Before anything is thought of about snowmaking, i think the slopes need to be groomed to retain what snow we get more effectively. I think BLD is right, snowmaking would need power to be cost effective, and power to the Ben is not likely to happen in the near future in my opion.

Aside from slope grooming I have heard stories of mawson using their fences much better to hold the snow and the result is huge accumulations that obviously take longer to melt. Perhaps whoever strategically placed these fences could give some guidance for the ones on the Ben.

Surely these sort of things should be the first step for development? They are low cost and have the potential to lengthen seasons = more income for other things.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
I always liked BLB's suggestion for Do-It-Yourself slope grooming from a few years ago. He said that if we are up there in summer and see a lonely rock sitting in the middle of a ski run, we should feel sorry for it and move it to the side of the slope so it could have some company with other rocks.

I thought that was very caring and considerate.
smile.gif

P.S. What's wrong with using the outflow from the sewage pond for snow making? They do this at Hotham and Buller and the snow at Ben Lomond is shite anyway.
tongue.gif

JohnnieB

First Runs
Aug 12, 2008
Launceston, Tas
Maxcimus said:
Before anything is thought of about snowmaking, i think the slopes need to be groomed to retain what snow we get more effectively. I think BLD is right, snowmaking would need power to be cost effective, and power to the Ben is not likely to happen in the near future in my opion.

Aside from slope grooming I have heard stories of mawson using their fences much better to hold the snow and the result is huge accumulations that obviously take longer to melt. Perhaps whoever strategically placed these fences could give some guidance for the ones on the Ben.

Surely these sort of things should be the first step for development? They are low cost and have the potential to lengthen seasons = more income for other things.
From memory! There isnt as many fences as there used to be!! Certainly more would be great and then maybe adapt some sort of blade onto a skidoo to move it around a bit
cool.gif

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
Bogong said:
I always liked BLB's suggestion for Do-It-Yourself slope grooming from a few years ago. He said that if we are up there in summer and see a lonely rock sitting in the middle of a ski run, we should feel sorry for it and move it to the side of the slope so it could have some company with other rocks.

I thought that was very caring and considerate.
smile.gif

P.S. What's wrong with using the outflow from the sewage pond for snow making? They do this at Hotham and Buller and the snow at Ben Lomond is shite anyway.
tongue.gif

hahahahahah, you're are just tooooooo funny bogong
tongue.gif

The outflow is way to far dwn the hill, meaning major pumping system to get it back up the hill. Most of Hotham snow making is below the dam so grvity feeds these gun quite well, plus they have got power
tongue.gif

As for the sticking tanks in and storing the water, this is only useful for a while, until they runout. Ofetn the creek on Ben freezes completely and there is minimal to no water flow, and again, more pumping required to get he water back up the hill.

If and when a new dam was to be built it would be further up hill from the current one, meaning the areas most needing snow on the front slopes would be level with just above or below the dam, requiring much less pumping, making it more economical. But that could be a ways off yet
tongue.gif

Flea Foot

Hard Yards
Oct 5, 2008
Love the idea of the lonely rocks, maybe if they wanted to get together, UNDER some of the very precous 100 yar old trees the probem could be fixed ! Seriouly, even the people who are not rocket scientists should agree, nothing can happen till the ski slopes are groomed and tracks made down the slopes, obsticles removed both rock and vegetation, then snow making may be an option , till then ####ing into the wind would be more affective. Again hard manual work on the ski slopes i think would be the best option.

The boy from Tas

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2007
Tas
Flea Foot said:
Again hard manual work on the ski slopes i think would be the best option.

perhaps some manual hard work on the brains of the di(ks at PWS would be the place to start
smile.gif
once people like yourself (business owners on the hill) have that freedom many things could move forward a whole lot easier
smile.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass