1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Guided touring in NZ

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by dan72, Dec 19, 2017.

1. dan72

dan72 Hard Yards

2. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

A few have done..... not those in particular. Is fun.

3. Dave6

Dave6 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

@BoofHead and I did a 3 day tour in the Pisa Ranges near Cardrona with http://www.aspiringguides.com/ a few years ago. Would have no problem recommending them if you were looking to do something out of Wanaka.

It was my first time in the backcountry and would love to do some more, but would need to get my own AT boots before I consider it again. The rental boots I had were excruciating.

BoofHead likes this.
  4. dan72

dan72 Hard Yards

5. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

6. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

7. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

8. Dave6

Maybe the Kirtleburn hut was getting too busy so they are not doing that tour any more.

9. BoofHead

Dave and I didn’t have much luck with our rental boots, I’ve since bought my own kit which is much better.
    thats my guess as well.

Dave6 likes this.
  10. BoofHead

11. Dave6

I think we looked at that one and decided to go with the cheaper 3 day Pisa Range tour without the heli flight which they don't seem to have any more.

We did this one at Treble Cone as a warm-up and to try out the gear before our 3 dayer.
    http://www.aspiringguides.com/aspiring-guides/ski/tours/treble-cone-backcountry-day-tour.aspx

Was sensational skiing but nearly ****ing killed me.

12. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

Aspiring Guides have their own hut up in the pisa range (Rob Rosa Hut), they don't use kirtle birn hut. You are not sharing the hut with anyone else. The tour is usually run as a "heli in, tour out" that way you can take heaps of fresh food etc in and tour light out. The hut there is their own, so it means you are not having to tour out with sleeping bags, rubbish, gas bottles etc as that is always there and well stocked. In the unusual case of the heli being unable to get in (unusual) the option is always there to tour in. Its a little higher than kirtle birn from snow farm, but not that much further.

The Pisa range is mellower, lower and shorter vertical terrain than some of the other tenures that you may visit in NZ but that doesn't mean it's not worth it. The access to the ride-able terrain is immediate from hut door and there are many aspects to ski depending on conditions. It's a great first time touring destination, but no where near the size or impressive nature of other areas such as Black Peak or main divide glacier country. Mt Pisa itself is a non-technical peak, so if the weather's good, you will summit it and it has great views across the valley to Cardrona.

Another good destination with Aspiring Guides is Black Peak Hut (as with Rob Rosa hut it is their hut, no-one else uses it). It has much bigger terrain than the Pisa Range, it's behind treble cone, you can see the east face of Black Peak from down town Wanaka.

Aspiring guides changed owners 18 months or so ago, but one of the former owners (Whit, massively experienced IFMGA guide) is still guiding for them. The lead guide Tim (as with all NZMGA certified guides) is a highly accomplished mountaineer/skier, as well as being a really nice bloke to boot (for a pom ;)).

Here's a photo of the crapper at Rob Rosa, let me tell you, if the wind is up it can be a little frosty on one's tender bits (there's no door)

essjaywhy, Belly and Dave6 like this.
  13. Rabid K9

Rabid K9 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Did a Summit to Sea trip a few years back with Aspiring. Weather meant we had to stay east of the divide & did a warm up day in the Pisa Range first.

Was an eventful trip, but guides great, Whit being one of them. Loved being in the mountains. Helicopter flight in up Tasman glacier was surreal. Personally, would make sure I had all my own gear prior to paying for a guided trip to get the most out it.

essjaywhy likes this.
  14. BoofHead

We were fortunate enough to have NZ climbing legend, Lydia Bradey as our guide.
    First woman and still the only New Zealander to have summited Everest without oxygen. Tough bird.
    Her book is an interesting read as well.

15. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

I Did my AVI course with Tim from Aspiring guides, can also confirm a great guy

16. Dave6

Here's the Kirtle Burn crapper. Got a door and everything.

Endless_Winter and BoofHead like this.
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Went with Alpine Recreation in 08. Plan was 5 days on the Tasman but cos of the weather had one there and the rest based at their hut in Two Thumb Range.

18. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Pisa is underrated. If it's your first time touring I'd doubly recommend it - less technical faff and more time skiing/figuring out skinning. If you love it, come back next year for something burlier.

dan72, essjaywhy, Rabid K9 and 2 others like this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, if it's your first time touring ever, go for more mellow terrain with access not entirely dependent on a stretch of good weather.

By contrast the big mountain country is epic but the weather and snow conditions are fickle mistresses.

Red_switch likes this.
  20. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Pisa is good. Cromwell faces are rad. some steep short stuff in and around rock bands is pretty fun to ride. Not pleasant in white out conditions haha.

dan72 and essjaywhy like this.
  21. dan72

dan72 Hard Yards

22. Dave6

23. dan72

dan72 Hard Yards

Just read you need previous touring experience for that trip.

Might be best if I do a couple of single day tours like the Treble Cone one, that way I can try out some different hire gear and gain some experience for a bigger trip in the future.

24. Mal Haskins

Mal Haskins First Runs

Hi Dan Day ski touring from TC / Cardrona / Remarks or even up to Oahu is all really easy based from Wanaka ( early morning starts for Remaks and Oahu )

As u say if you’ve never been touring before it’s the easiest option and there are plenty of option on avalanche courses ( intro and 4 day courses as well )

Gear hire wise the biggest decision you’ll need to make is boots

Ski’s skins / Avo gear / etc is all really easy to hire in Wanaka and whilst boots are as well it’s the weakest link in the chain in terms of gear hire in case you get it wrong

I’m not sure what’s available to you in Australia ( I’m in Wanaka ) but we do have a range of good boot fitters and choice of boot to purchase

Whilst nearly all the main shops in Wanaka and queenstown do hire / sale and fitting there is one shop that specifically does fitting and molding and footbeds only

https://solelab.co.nz/pages/about-us

Before heading out into the hills I’d teccomend getting some good foot advice from Jase

25. BoofHead

Dave6 and myself would agree with above. We both had rental boot dramas in Wanaka.
    I still have 3 numb toes from 2.5 years ago.