Question Guthega in summer

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
I need something to look forward to, and scanning my Epic Pass for the first time this season doesn't look like being one of them.

After we get let out of Sydney I’m contemplating a trip to Guthega to visit some of my favourite (winter) views when I can, of course most likely long after the season officially ends.

Just wondered what is the walking access like from the car park at Guthega to get up to where any of the lifts are?

I presume you can walk to the Burning Log readily but what after that, are the ski runs grassed areas or thick bush?

What about other areas around the Blue Cow lifts?

One autumn over 20 years ago, when the Skitube used to run off-season, I struck upon the idea of walking from Blue Cow Station to the bottom of Pleasant Valley. After all it’s a beginners slope right?

What I didn’t realise was that the scrub is chest high and I spent a long time not seeing my feet. When I eventually got to the clearing at the bottom station I discovered a dead snake. So I walked back along some road.

Thanks for any info.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I need something to look forward to, and scanning my Epic Pass for the first time this season doesn't look like being one of them.

After we get let out of Sydney I’m contemplating a trip to Guthega to visit some of my favourite (winter) views when I can, of course most likely long after the season officially ends.

Just wondered what is the walking access like from the car park at Guthega to get up to where any of the lifts are?

I presume you can walk to the Burning Log readily but what after that, are the ski runs grassed areas or thick bush?

One autumn over 20 years ago, when the Skitube used to run off-season, I struck upon the idea of walking from Blue Cow Station to the bottom of Pleasant Valley. After all it’s a beginners slope right?

What I didn’t realise was that the scrub is chest high and I spent a long time not seeing my feet. When I eventually got to the clearing at the bottom station I discovered a dead snake. So I walked back along some road.

Thanks for any info.
Sure you can do it. Via Burning Log. The stairs via the Nordic Centre may be open too.

If you want bushwalking and total quiet, it’s your place in summer.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Besides the resort side consider your options up towards Illawong and Tate.

@Myazma

Walk up along towards Illawong. The new metal walking track along the Snowy towards Spencers and Charlottes should be ready for use soon.

The other side of the dam on Tate East Ridge can be tough going, going up through the scrub.

However, if heading up from the Power Station towards Horse Camp hut and the Stephen Consett Pass and up towards the main Tate ridge then coming down Tate East Ridge or into the valley from above near Mann Bluff towards Guthega isn’t too bad.

One can do a nice little circuit. Leave the car at Guthega and the pack at the power station. Cycle down the road, lock the bike, pick up the pack, hike up the ridge, come down and cross at the Illawong Suspension bridge - good overnighter.

D68294BE-B451-47A9-873B-E6AB5B8970CF.jpeg

Skiing Gus

Hard Yards
Jun 17, 2018
The Nordic Centre never seems to be open in Summer. I second the walk to Illawong - its a pretty easy track to follow in Summer and I'm looking forward to following the new track when its finished. In Feb this year I walked up the ridge by the trig (missed the trig (will aim for that next time), through Consett Stephen Pass, up to Mt Tate, across the ridge there, across the little creek and then Illawong Bridge and nack to Guthega. Tough walk and some very different landscapes up there and just amazing. I'm aiming to do it again in revserse this time - just need to be careful as some of the area can be very wet and slippery underfoot.

Skiing Gus

Hard Yards
Jun 17, 2018
There's a track up the Blue Calf tee - I've never actually walked up it fully (my daughter was keen but got too tired halfway up). And yes there are areas which looks flat in summer where the shrubs are waist high and other areas of beautiful meadow

Reactions: GlenH and Chaeron

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
Is it quicker in Summer to drive in to Guthega via the Smiggins Link Rd or to just come in all the way via the Guthega Road?

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne

Thanks for any info.
I have done that very ”walk”, blue cow terminal down to pleasant valley LOL

The ski trails at guthega have excellent summer grooming, so tend to be more grass than heath. There are still some areas that are tough going though. I find the walks around the resort interesting in summer, see the difference in terrain and vegetation etc. I do all the other non–resort ones as well.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

aazz

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2012
Hunter Valley, NSW.
Back in February I went for a wander around Guthega. Going from the car park to the Freedom chair top station was all pretty good tracks. The first photo is of the gravel road alongside the Blue Cow T bar.

20210224_092634.jpg

The next one is looking back down, you can see a well formed tracked at the top of the Blue Calf T, it's like that from the Burning Log.

20210224_095150.jpg

Coming down Parachute was the chest high, scrubby stuff. I probably wouldn't do that again.

20210224_110513.jpg

It was enjoyable walk. Before it I also went to the suspension bridge and had a look about the dam wall. A good way to spend a day.

Dropbear

One of Us
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Beaches

While I agree with the others that the better walking is to be had in the direction of the main range, if you want to walk up to Blue Cow from Guthega:

1. Take the Norwegian Road run from Burning Log up to the Guthega saddle, or go direct up the Blue Calf T-Bar Track and over the knoll at the top and down to the saddle. (If you follow the Low Traverse run that goes up the valley to your right, you'll soon end up in deep scrub as you approach the bottom of the Guthega Quad.)

2. Follow the Blue Cow T-Bar track uphill a bit, and then look for a 4WD track that heads right on a traverse to Blue Cow. It's rough in parts, but it connects all the way though to pumping station beside the main run down the front of Blue Cow (part way up Terminal Quad).

From there you can climb Mt Blue Cow, or Mt Blue Calf (the Skitube Terminal lump), or Back Perisher. Or you can follow the road down past Rollercoaster run if you want to continue to Perisher Valley.

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Thank you everyone for your feedback and ideas.

After today's news it looks like I better start planning.

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
As lockdown drags on it looks more like I won't make it down until wildflower season.

On that subject, do you see many of those around the ski field itself?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass