Guthega & Island Bend Dams & Any Other Snowy Hydro Stuff

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
The piles of dirt on the southern end of the strip is the top quality alpine humus/humic soils we dug from the track construction. Get some.

Reactions: skifree

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
The piles of dirt on the southern end of the strip is the top quality alpine humus/humic soils we dug from the track construction. Get some.

I was thinking that was the source. you'll probably need to use some of that once you start on the Porky Rocks to Bullocks Flat section.

Reactions: Myazma and Chaeron

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
New light rail from the new airport. All the way to Charlotte Pass, with a few stops along the way, intersecting with the current PV terminus of the SkiTube. Easy.

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 7.58.36 pm.jpg

Reactions: malas1

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
I was thinking that was the source. you'll probably need to use some of that once you start on the Porky Rocks to Bullocks Flat section.
Initially the parks enviro guy said not to reuse the dirt we dug out because it was now sterilised by the UV rays from the sun. We did anyways, I was more interested in the seed bank it provided.
What track?
Iconic.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Initially the parks enviro guy said not to reuse the dirt we dug out because it was now sterilised by the UV rays from the sun. We did anyways, I was more interested in the seed bank it provided.

Iconic.
Not sure if I follow that logic. If it is sterilised, it is safe to use anywhere.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Dropbear

One of Us
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Beaches
But they missed a bit!

The current Iconic Walk plan shows Guthega and Bullocks Flat as major end points to the track. This is silly, because those places are so quiet in summer. They need to make it easier for people to start and finish the track in Perisher and Thredbo.

A connection between Perisher and Guthega would open up so many more options for loop walks or day hikes to and from Perisher Valley.

KNP Snowies Iconic Walk Map Edited Scaled.png

All that would be needed would be to join up the missing hiking links between Guthega and Perisher Valley via the ski runs. These new short sections of track would be relatively cost effective to deliver, and would be very scenic.

(The alternative road walk from Guthega to Perisher - with soggy sections in Blue Cow, the poo farm, and cars on the road in Perisher Valley- isn't up to the "iconic" level of the rest of the hike.)

Perisher 2021 Trail Map - Main - Edited.png

And Perisher needs to produce a summer trail map!

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I still think it would be better resurrect Johnnys Plain trail & extend to Sawpit & link to the Pallaibo Track

edit, I should have said Thompson Plain not Johnnys.

Dropbear

One of Us
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Beaches
Yes it’s a trail that also cuts across Prussian Plain. Ends up at Dainers Gap, probably goes down to Rainbow Lake but I’ve not looked for old poles on this section.

Is there an existing track across those tops still remaining? Can anyone approximate where it is on a map, please?

But then it wouldn't end up at Bruce's development.

Who is that, and where is the development? Bullocks?

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
Is there an existing track across those tops still remaining? Can anyone approximate where it is on a map, please?

There is an intermittent footpad following the old ski poles.

It’s very nice walking up there in summer.

You can still find remnants of the old Kosciuszko Road up there. Wheel ruts are visible. This road was used by Wragge and his party on the way up to Mt K to set up the observatory. The party’s camp is still visible. This is their fireplace.

CCC910A7-84D2-4348-9480-5D984FC8AC13.jpeg

Dropbear

One of Us
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Beaches
What about if they joined the aqueducts between Guthega Dam and the surge tank?

The missing bit is only be about 2km long, would it would enable level walking access (on the 1600m contour) from Guthega up into Munyang and beyond.

Iconic Plus?

Guthega Aqueduct.png

Dropbear

One of Us
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Beaches
There is an intermittent footpad following the old ski poles.

It’s very nice walking up there in summer.

You can still find remnants of the old Kosciuszko Road up there. Wheel ruts are visible. This road was used by Wragge and his party on the way up to Mt K to set up the observatory. The party’s camp is still visible. This is their fireplace.

Thanks for sharing, zapruda, that's really interesting. I'll keep my eye out for it next time I'm up there :thumbs:

Reactions: zapruda

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
Thanks for sharing, zapruda, that's really interesting. I'll keep my eye out for it next time I'm up there :thumbs:
No worries.

To clarify, you can follow the alignment of the old road all the way from Rennix Gap to Kangaroo ridge. Most of it is gone but for the discerning eye there are clues everywhere up there.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

Head South at Dainers Gap and you'll come across the old poles line. These are intermittent but with care you can follow these to link up with the 10km Nordic Loop at Perisher and as noted above there is an intermittent footpad along the poles. A lot of poles were burnt in 2003 and after that Parks abandoned the trail.

I cannot find a map of the old trail at present but below is from my gps files where I have plotted the locations of the poles I have found in the area I've spent some time over the years.

210912 Thompson Plain Area.jpg

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
At some point it looked like NPWS were going or redo the trails. I came across these poles on Prussian flat

I was involved with a meeting with Parks maybe 6 years ago and the advice was they had no budget to continue with The Thompson Plain trail after the 2003 fire damage and could not see enough demand for it.

This was at the same meeting they said a trail from the Ramshead Range from somewhere off the Charlotte Pass Trail in the Perisher area to the Thredbo River as was floated about at the time would only happen over their dead bodies due to the cost to build and maintain it. Times change and we move on.

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Visitor numbers rise every year. The more trails the more pple are spread out. A very COVID friendly solution?? Also, the more loops and short cuts the better. Some may be up for 20 km in a day, others 5 or 10. Just saying.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
This just popped up in my google feed. The Otter is the replacement for the Beaver, which is the plane the SMA used because of its short take off and landing abilities.

Reactions: zapruda

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW

Iconic.
The enviro guy was just keeping a reason for his job.

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Next environmental flow is scheduled thursday 23rd

https://www.industry.nsw.gov.au/water/basins-catchments/snowy-river/initiative/increased-flows

However, I was over at Dalgety this morning on a bike ride, and noticed the river level was reasonably high. Not sure if that was just inflows downstream of the dam from recent rain, or if they had let more than usual out
Nothing much happening at Dalgety- only up by 10 cm. Jindabyne releases averaging 700 ML/day then last 2 days 1000, hence the small rise

1631617991291.png

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I’ve heard rumours of a significant release from Jindy Impoundment this coming Wednesday.

Any truth?

And where’s the best spot to view this from that’s not on top of the dam wall.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass