Trip Report Guthega Power Station to Valentine's hut.Easter 2018.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Leaving Victoria, yaaaaaaay!.It was very busy on the roads on Good Friday.
_SAM1943.JPG

Reactions: Telemark Phat

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The next morning on Easter Saturday, I seemed to get the last car parking spot at Guthega Power station. I found that Munyang Bridge is broken and has been fenced off. I just did a river crossing north of the Bridge. It was not hard. I started the ascent up the fire trail along Disappointment spur.
_SAM1963.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
One pushed on uphill , up the management track to the Schlink Pass. There I exchanged information with a long distance solo walker from Canada/ France who was heading from the ACT along the AAWT to Victoria. Victoria's Alps are so dry these days that I was obliged to visit NSW
.I hope that fellow finds water along the way in VIC.
I told him the Victorian sections of the AAWT route are the toughest but the most scenic.
_SAM1979.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
At last , I reached Horse Camp hut along the Horse Camp aquaduct track and had the whole location to myself :) . The hut has been rebuilt and it stank of fresh paint. I slept in my cosy sleeping bag inside my tent.
I was a spent force, just totally knackered, again.The Horse Hut Aquaduct track in the right conditions would be superb to XC ski on. It is sheltered and sits at about 1600 M ASL.
_SAM2030.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The Barry Way was busy with 4WD enthusiasts. I really had to concentrate on driving along that dusty and bumpy remote wilderness road. People in big 4 x 4 vehicles came screaming around blind bends. The campsites along the NSW section of the Snowy river were full of campers.
I can't believe I drove a 2 WD sedan along that road ten years ago.
_SAM2063.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The Barry Way is a long slow drive in the middle of freaking nowhere. Truly welcome to whoop whoop.There were not many places to stop to take photos of the grand mountains views.
When I reached the macadamized surface one could not slack off because the road on the VIC. side is just as twisty , turning and narrow.
My word , the landscape along the Barry Way , which sits in the rain shadow of the Great Dividing Range is bone dry .
_SAM2073.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The Gelantipy Plateau along the Barry way was so dry and seemed so remote. A detour to Little River Falls was all for nought. There was NO water in the Little River. I have seen more water come out of a spilt cup of green tea.
I was getting a bit sick of driving .Barry has a lot to answer for !.
_SAM2076.JPG

Reactions: whether
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass