1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Hakkoda

Discussion in 'Japan' started by RyanMM75, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Lonepeak

Lonepeak Hard Yards

Good to know. I’m scoping out other areas as far south as Iwate as back-ups if I need to spend a few day’s elsewhere.

2. bluestick

bluestick One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Been to Hakkoda a few times. Definitely worth a visit but even the season before last it was busy around the weekends. Mid week ok.i reckon feb would be better than Jan. We toured without a guide with no problems except it did involve waiting for the bus service. Ok runs under the rope way. The chairs at the bottom are a bad weather option although skies out quick. There are not a lot of nearby options although Aomori spring is worth a visit as are some of the smaller resorts heading towards morioka. Heaps of options out of morioka ... lots of tr’s on here re this area particularly those by heinz

Lonepeak likes this.
  3. Lonepeak

Lonepeak Hard Yards

Bus? Is it possible to catch a bus back to the ropeway after a side/back country route? I recall reading the guides will have a dirver/van at the end of a route to get back to ropeway. Bus is an option as well?

4. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Certainly not that I remember, although that was a few years ago. It was always a prearranged pick up by the guide with the hotel or ski school.

5. bluestick

bluestick One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

There is twice daily (from what I recall ) jr bus service from Aomori that you can use for a pick up from the historic onsen and hotel up the road from the ropeway. If staying at these places they provide their own bus shuttle to the ropeway as well as guided group tours and you can then ‘tour’ back to the Onsen. There are other tours as well with various pick up points although I haven’t done those. The main routes have markers once you get in the forest and in summer probably above the tree line.

skifree likes this.
  6. geeoff

geeoff Hard Yards

That route to Sukayu Onsen only opens later in season. IIRC March. If you search Hakkoda-ski.com there is a downloadable contour map of the area showing the various routes and the roads around the base. As Heinz says you basically need a guide to get transport back along the road if you take a route that does not connect back to the front courses (forest and direct) from which you can access the ropeway base. There are a multitude of lines that do connect back to the base, but because of terrain and weather it is very easy to get lost without a guide. We used a very good local Yoshitaka Hirai www.hakkoda-hirai.com as our guide.

Ramenman likes this.
  7. Lonepeak

Lonepeak Hard Yards

Thanks all. I like the late season option so I can try other areas on my to-do list Jan-Feb (Iwate, maybe Alts Bandai). Hakkoda has been on my radar since my first trip to Niseko a few years ago. I rode the gondola with a 70 year old (!) Tokyo skier who showed me some pics of Hakkoda on blue bird days. Had me drooling...

8. Heinz

Have a look here https://www.ski.com.au/xf/xfa-blog-category/japan.14/view-entries
    2009 & 2010 reports for winter conditions
    2012 report for spring conditions

#58 Heinz, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  9. Lonepeak

Lonepeak Hard Yards

10. AdyL

AdyL First Runs

Hi just reading this forum for the first time. We are booked in for feb , were not exactly BC skiers/boarders but have wanted to ski here for years. I feel it might be above our skill level , advanced but not hardcore. Finding a good guide service is the key from what you say here . also is it easy to hire quality skis and boards ? thanks in advance - we are booked for 9 days here.......any tips for next feb welcome.

11. geeoff

geeoff Hard Yards

The rental options at Hakkoda are few in number and only have limited range. There is the ski school rental and Sensou lodge shop.
    Definitely recommend BYO!
    The skiing is not “”extreme”, in fact a lot is quite mellow, it is more the fact the terrain is varied (ie forests, creek beds, quirky contours) and this makes route planning difficult. You are not in a ski “resort”.
    This is why a guide is recommended.

DPS Driver and skifree like this.
  12. skifree

skifree Old n' Crusty Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

The guide should route you through terrain that suits the ability of the group.

As above much of the guided terrain is mellow and should be no real issue for ski any blue run skier.

Going off the groomers will take you into very challenging terrain if you’re not careful.

Tho dropping into chest deep pow for the whole line presents new challenges to skiers of Oz ice.

Take your own gear, include a helmet, the bc lines pretty much all involve long runouts thru forest.

13. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

If you are going off piste count on hiring BC gear as well if you dont have it. Beacon etc etc etc.

skifree likes this.
  14. Heinz

I am surprised you booked there for 9 days without knowing more. For that length of time you would certainly want some form of BC capability ie. touring skis or snow shoes as well as a guide and avi gear. You can spend a few days there just skiing the two marked runs but that would be it. Otherwise for a 9 day period you would be better off elsewhere. The skiing itself probably won't be above your skill level but you will need a guide to show you the various routes and avoid the terrain traps.