Hakuba 09

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Cham said:
Sandy Im not saying I dont believe you about your Pow. However up north it certainly is drier again. Some funky s!!t goes on in the air up there.

Where do you think I was skiing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Go Native

One of Us
Aug 30, 2004
Inverloch
Cham said:
Go Native....maybe the booking in the place your running? But certainly numbers were down this year on the whole in Niseko. Well for the week I was there in Feb at least 30% less. The local rag also mentioned this. The streets and restaurants were at least 30% less to last Feb. I enjoyed it this year...last year was a pain trying to simply get a feed.

Sandy Im not saying I dont believe you about your Pow. However up north it certainly is drier again. Some funky s!!t goes on in the air up there.

I don't run anything myself mate but work for a company that manages well over 200 apartments and houses. I was talking about numbers of people that we had come this season were very similar to last season. Of course like most operators here we had a lot more accomm stock this season and actually needed a big increase in numbers to have similar occupancy rates as last season (which none of us have had). Also Chinese New Year was in Jan this year when in previous years it was in Feb which meant a lot more people were here in Jan. With so much accommodation now in Hirafu more people are able to come in a shorter period whereas in previous years they were spread out more. Feb has definitely had less bookings than last season.

John Deere

First Runs
May 8, 2005
Sydney
Go Native said:
John Deere said:
Maybe if enough snow falls GN it will pile up enough to give the place some actual fall line
tongue.gif

outtahere.gif

Actually deeper snow just fills in all the hollows and it gets even flatter...

Surely thats not possible....at least the touring would be easy! bags not breaking trail!

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
Go Native said:
Cham said:
Go Native....maybe the booking in the place your running? But certainly numbers were down this year on the whole in Niseko. Well for the week I was there in Feb at least 30% less. The local rag also mentioned this. The streets and restaurants were at least 30% less to last Feb. I enjoyed it this year...last year was a pain trying to simply get a feed.

I don't run anything myself mate but work for a company that manages well over 200 apartments and houses. I was talking about numbers of people that we had come this season were very similar to last season. Of course like most operators here we had a lot more accomm stock this season and actually needed a big increase in numbers to have similar occupancy rates as last season (which none of us have had). Also Chinese New Year was in Jan this year when in previous years it was in Feb which meant a lot more people were here in Jan. With so much accommodation now in Hirafu more people are able to come in a shorter period whereas in previous years they were spread out more. Feb has definitely had less bookings than last season.

Is the amount of stock going to increase again next year or has the current climate put a hold most of those projects ?

Go Native

One of Us
Aug 30, 2004
Inverloch
A lot of projects have been put on hold and much of the job losses in recent months around the village have been people from development companies. Some fairly big projects though which already had good sales off the plan before the financial crisis hit will still go ahead. Personally I'm looking forward to a summer with a relatively quiet village instead of the construction zone it's been the last couple of years.

_Dave_

Hard Yards
Jan 5, 2009
Brisbane, Qld
Yea Cham
A mate of mine works for traveland here on the Goldie, should I have said that???
shocked.gif

The stats he has are not 30% but 40%plus so GN maybe you should get your figures correct
thumbsup.gif
and mabe tune into some other thread??????????

Looking forward to getting in on Fri night

biggrin.gif

Go Native

One of Us
Aug 30, 2004
Inverloch
If you're only talking about Aussies then maybe that figure is correct. Of course amazing as some here might find it, more than just Aussies ski in Japan!!

And yes sorry, I will stop hijacking this thread with how good snow conditions are in Niseko whilst you guys enjoy the rain
tongue.gif

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Go Native said:
If you're only talking about Aussies then maybe that figure is correct. Of course amazing as some here might find it, more than just Aussies ski in Japan!!

And yes sorry, I will stop hijacking this thread with how good snow conditions are in Niseko whilst you guys enjoy the rain
tongue.gif

What rain?? I was skiing powder with my daughter yesterday and the day before.
tongue.gif

IMGP1426a.jpg

Go Native

One of Us
Aug 30, 2004
Inverloch
The Hakuba Now reporter must be on smack or something then
tongue.gif

It's dumping snow...somewhere in the world. In Hakuba it's raining in the valley, harder than it was this morning; and with our weather station registering -0.1 degrees at 2080 m asl I get the feeling it's not gonna be falling as the best of snow even up top today.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Go Native said:
The Hakuba Now reporter must be on smack or something then
tongue.gif

It's dumping snow...somewhere in the world. In Hakuba it's raining in the valley, harder than it was this morning; and with our weather station registering -0.1 degrees at 2080 m asl I get the feeling it's not gonna be falling as the best of snow even up top today.

Who said I was in Hakuba??
tongue.gif

I was TWICE as high as the top lift at Niseko.....
tongue.gif

Go Native

One of Us
Aug 30, 2004
Inverloch
Sorry I thought this was the Hakuba thread, which is of course why I keep talking about Niseko
biggrin.gif

Cham

One of Us
Jul 11, 2002
Vic
Sandy said:
Cham said:

Shiga at a guess.

Twice the height...yeah sure...how about the vert though? If it was shiga....my understanding this place does not have big vert.

Heinz

Have skis, will travel - Once borders open again..
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Shiga does have reasonable vert - just not single fall line - it is spread around a wide area. For good fall line vert look at Appi Kogen - more to come in another thread. This is the Hakuba thread after all.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Cham said:
Sandy said:
Cham said:

Shiga at a guess.

Twice the height...yeah sure...how about the vert though? If it was shiga....my understanding this place does not have big vert.

Always whinging......
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Yes, TWICE the height. Niseko is 1156m, Yokoteyama is 2307m, which is 7m short of TWICE the altitude!!!!
Yokoteyama has 557m of fall line vertical, from 1750m to 2307m..... is that enough vertical if it's powder and not rain???

Do you prefer RAIN or vertical?? I would have thought that most people would have gone for 557m vertical, than NOT GO OUT AT ALL because it's raining......
tongue.gif

Anyway, I will most probably go to Hakuba again before the season's out....
But it's off to Kagura this Saturday, and probably Shiga or Naeba later in March.

Cham

One of Us
Jul 11, 2002
Vic
Sandy said:
Cham said:
Sandy said:
Cham said:

Shiga at a guess.

Always whinging......
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Yes, TWICE the height. Niseko is 1156m, Yokoteyama is 2307m, which is 7m short of TWICE the altitude!!!!
Yokoteyama has 557m of fall line vertical, from 1750m to 2307m..... is that enough vertical if it's powder and not rain???

Do you prefer RAIN or vertical?? I would have thought that most people would have gone for 557m vertical, than NOT GO OUT AT ALL because it's raining......
tongue.gif

But it's off to Kagura this Saturday, and probably Shiga or Naeba later in March.

Not whinging. I agree, I would go choose any vert with snow falling over a rain day at another. Just stating that height up north does not really matter and its all relative. Not saying it would not be an advantage as well ;-). The top lifted point, lets say for Niseko is 1156 and the bottom lifted point is as low as 256m. Gives a vert of just under 1000m. Been further north makes all the difference in freeze level.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Cham said:
Sandy said:
Cham said:
Sandy said:
Cham said:

Shiga at a guess.

Always whinging......
tongue.gif
wink.gif

tongue.gif

Not whinging. I agree, I would go choose any vert with snow falling over a rain day at another. Just stating that height up north does not really matter and its all relative. Not saying it would not be an advantage as well ;-). The top lifted point, lets say for Niseko is 1156 and the bottom lifted point is as low as 256m. Gives a vert of just under 1000m. Been further north makes all the difference in freeze level.

Yes, but if you're in Hakuba, and you KNOW the freeze level will be 1600m and raining, you can go across to Shiga Kogen for the day (say, you've hired a car for the week) and know it will be snowing all day.....

I picked my accommodation at Shiga a week and a half ago, to be as high as possible, knowing that there was a good chance that it would be raining below 1200m. In the end, we stayed at 1750m, and it was powder the whole time!!

Cham

One of Us
Jul 11, 2002
Vic
Height definately has its advantages. Having the luxury of a car is also ideal.

How is March looking Sandy for Hakuba?....any hope for cooling temps and good snow?

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Cham said:
Height definately has its advantages. Having the luxury of a car is also ideal.

How is March looking Sandy for Hakuba?....any hope for cooling temps and good snow?

Haven't really looked at it at this stage, but it's snowing in Yokohama RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

_Dave_

Hard Yards
Jan 5, 2009
Brisbane, Qld
Ya baby

Absolutely snowing its head off at Hakuba, big flakes
Goin to be a great pow day tmro.
We had a great day on Monday, stayed up high @ Goryu under the top lifts on the left hand side.
Boot to knee deep pow

I will try to post some pics now, just need to work it out

_Dave_

Hard Yards
Jan 5, 2009
Brisbane, Qld
Yea Baby
tantrum.gif

Sitting here drinkin bundy, on the handrail outside the bar in the last hour and half 3cm and goin hard
puke.gif

thumbsup.gif

It's my turn to do the pow that every one else has been talkn about.

I don't mind sitting here and posting a running report( hard work but someone has to do it)
beer.gif

_Dave_

Hard Yards
Jan 5, 2009
Brisbane, Qld
RR

Im hearing ya
thumbsup.gif
nothing going to get in the way of a grat day
just a couple quiet ones
beer.gif

Still pukking 3-4cm and goin strong

_Dave_

Hard Yards
Jan 5, 2009
Brisbane, Qld
Still gooiin off
tantrum.gif

We are up to 10cm on the handrail, prob 30-40 up top
I think i will leave my Apache Recons at home and get some fatties
thumbsup.gif

It's going to be huge tmro
Hakuba has absolutely turned it on for our first visit
biggrin.gif

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
It's actually snowing right now in Yokohama (close to sea level)..... and probably in Tokyo soon.
I reckon there'll be a bit of snow on the ground by morning!!!!

Go Native

One of Us
Aug 30, 2004
Inverloch
Great to see you guys getting a nice dump. On the cams this morning the lower slopes were looking a bit bare so looks like it came just in time.

_Dave_

Hard Yards
Jan 5, 2009
Brisbane, Qld
Wow
We have woken up to a white(powder)wonderland
laugh.gif

Having early breaky and fueling up for some serious work on the skis up the mountain
I think it snowed for most of the night, 300-400

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
Tear it up guys, take lots of photos so that you can rub it into us guys sitting here on our computers in Oz or anywhere else, sweltering in the heat.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
nisstrust said:
Tear it up guys, take lots of photos so that you can rub it into us guys sitting here on our computers in Oz or anywhere else, sweltering in the heat.

I'll probably be heading up the weekend after next.....
biggrin.gif
:rub:

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
The Wang said:
Just spoke to a friend who works there and he said it was the best day of the season

hmmmm.....

Got up to +2.7 degrees in the valley, and the snow at the weather station decreased from 25cm this morning down to 6cm this arvo.....

wangster

A Local
Oct 24, 2008
Just passing his sentiments on
wink.gif

It sounded like he had a kick ass day

timmyhugecans

One of Us
Aug 16, 2005
Harrietville
Iwouldn't say the best day of the season, but great day all the same. Plenty of snow all over and very quiet. Well needed as mentioned. will post pics later.

rangerider

A Local
Jun 14, 2008
Gday Shadow, not much snow wise happening over there at the moment. Anyone know what's on the horizon?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass