1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Hakuba 20/21 Season

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Lucky Pete, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Waking up to another 10cm or so with it still snowing. Kind of spoilt for choice at the moment. Just need to coax the body into going.

People (normally skiers) who put in the back country exit tracks at the start of the season and why always having at least one skier in your group is a good thing, particularly early season. :)

Slowpony and M_G like this.
  2. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Nice little 60cm Xmas pre-cursor storm kicking off tonight before we get smashed over New Years.

Merry Xmas to all the members here. Both my wife Shiho and myself wish you and your family all the best over the festive season and new year. Stay safe, have fun!

skifree, fennekeg and Melskius like this.
  3. BMWRX

BMWRX One of Us

And to you too good sir.

The countdown widget on my phone tells me it's three days until my partner and I fly out to Hakuba (it also tells me it's been 300 days since I've been on the snow). You know, the countdown widget I set in March, back when the world was open and we had planned to fly to Japan for some New Years skiing.

4. BMWRX

BMWRX One of Us

I really wish COVID19 was COVID20. Last years falls compared to this years are night and day it seems. So, I'm hoping like heck that the same happens at the start of the next season (assuming international travel is opened up again by then).

5. Jacksong

Jacksong Addicted

A little bit of rain in Hakuba today unfortunately. Looks like some heavy rain before the forecast turns good from the 30th though

6. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Was there? I was working outside all day until about an hour ago but there are lots of micro climates here so maybe elsewhere to where I was. Either way tomorrow should be a cracking day although it does look a little wet at town level for a short spell though but then its on like DK.

Having a little respite has been good to be honest and Im finally catching up on chores including digging out this Hiace today. We also finsihed construction of our own little winter pad this week and moved house. My wife and I have different understandings of minimalist living and we are on the 3rd floor. If nothing else great fitness :) Resting up now for this upcoming storm now all the roofs etc have been cleared.

skifree and M_G like this.
  7. TJ

TJ One of Us

Don't know where you got that info from Jacksong but I was also outside most of the afternoon shifting snow and nadda in Echoland or the drive out to Iimori. Kid was up at 47 all day and nothing there.

8. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Should be a lot of happy guests in Hakuba today scoring another bluebird day before the storm starts tonight. Having been out helping one guest fix a car late last night who thought his stay was done I know that family will be especially happy this morning.

This winter we are not living in our apartments so dont have the epic views but this one is OK from our new winter digs. :)

Whilst we will most likely get rain at the Eki area at the start of the storm is looks like up at the top of the resorts it will be all snow. Over 1.5m with another cycle shortly there after. More good times are coming!

BMWRX likes this.
  9. Jacksong

Jacksong Addicted

It was raining a little around the base of Happo but not too bad. Luckily we don't need to worry with the upcoming forecast.

Lucky Pete likes this.
  10. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Holy moly what a couple days. About 1m snow down at our places near the station already and its still snowing this afternoon with nearly another 40 in the forcast for the next few days. LOTS of digging throughout the valley and SENSATIONAL riding. Our guests cant believe their luck too and from Tues on should be awesome as town empties. This morning in particular it would have been hard to better for resort riding. Fast turns on Super Dry snow, the only issue being the lift opening late. The resorts inability to be ready on snow days is beyond belief but some things change and some remain the same. Sorry I dont have any riding pics as I just lap. This car is my mother in laws and was parked a couple days ago and the other pic is the Iimori jinjya this morning. Time for a rest before moving more snow. :)

11. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Awesome morning at Nori today. Was only 10cm fresh but good times staying away from the hordes and gondolas. The big news is that some friends have opened a ski/out coffee and bakery at Nori, right at the connecting lift with Cortina. We swung by there for a pie and coffee mid morning and it was gold! You could ski Cortina, pop over for a coffee and pastry then get the lift back to Cortina. GOLD! And just for a change its still snowing!

12. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

What sort of pie is that? And what other pies do they have?

13. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

That was a chicken, leek and mustard and was SUPERB. Its my understanding there will be a couple options each day.

#163 Lucky Pete, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Sandy likes this.
  14. SnowBound

SnowBound One of Us

I think I need to stay out of this thread this season....

@Lucky Pete you really are lucky. Us Aussies are drooling

Lucky Pete, 2ESki and BMWRX like this.
  15. TJ

TJ One of Us

Been epic. It's all about the riding this year. Who wants to work anyway.
    Tsugaike already looks like it is on again tomorrow. Looking forward to the holiday crowd (which currently isn't any different to a usual busy weekend) go home tomorrow and we get the valley to ourselves again.

SnowBound and Sandy like this.
  16. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

I heard that there was extended holidays until 7th this year ????

17. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

There was talk of that but not sure what happened with it. We definetly dont see that in our bookings nor do the other larger acomm guys I have spoken to although we are nearly full on a Sunday night which is unexpected in the current situation.

mannyk likes this.
  18. BMWRX

BMWRX One of Us

I'm sticking with this thread and hoping not to feel jealousy but rather try to ski vicariously through Lucky Pete (although he rides a single plank).

SnowBound likes this.
  19. TJ

TJ One of Us

35 cms at Cortina overnight. Got to be happy with that.

20. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Its been a pretty busy few days so for a change had a morning at Jiigatake today. Its under new management this year and the changes are awesome. Its part of the Hakuba Valley ticket and it has something for nearly everyone.

Whilst relatively small, the terrain suits begineers to intermediates and would be a perfect family destination with an awesome area for kids to sled on. They offer snow mobile tours which suit 1st time riders such as myself. Definitely recommending it to our guests. Actually took some pics too although they arent in any particular order :) :)

skifree, SnowBound, 2ESki and 5 others like this.
  21. BMWRX

BMWRX One of Us

@Lucky Pete What's the oversized toboggan? Is that in lieu of a magic carpet for the kiddies?

And Georgia coffee - if the caffeine doesn't give you a kick, the massive amount of sugar will surely have you up and going.

22. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Indeed, that's exactly what it is. Didnt appear to have a fail safe should the cable break but then I didnt see the front of it either. The cable did look sized to drag up the titanic though :)

The cool thing was you could pay to use that which was 500 or 1000 yen if I recall correctly or you could just walk up the hill and let your kid slide down for free. Super cool for familes and there were kids everywhere on the day and you could have fun for little or no cost. GOLD!

BMWRX likes this.
  23. TACKIE

TACKIE One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Stay safe @Lucky Pete , heard there was a bit of spicey lung around.

24. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Thanks Tackie, there have indeed been a couple cases in town which is not unexpected but still not good considering how old so many members of our community are.

TACKIE likes this.
  25. BMWRX

BMWRX One of Us

Hopefully it doesn't take off around the town. However, my understanding is that the elderly in Japan (in particular in small towns) tend to hibernate for the winter, so they may not be getting out to contract it from the community.

26. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Well that was quite the treat. Went up to Tsuguike to get my DBD pass with no expectations and caught up with a couple mates and dropped Gates 1 and 2 a couple times. Definetly not a full reset but still lots of fun to be had and some clean lines although it really needs the the 1m coming. Spoke with some staff today and they mentioned they most likely wont open the top on Friday due to wind and snow. The skijo itself was very quiet with still room in the top carpark left at 11am with the one across the road not even open. This pic is looking up from the mid station at about 10am.

skifree, M_G, Zimbooo and 3 others like this.
  27. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

I think this is my 7th season living in Hakuba and whilst I have seen bigger storms than those we have had so far I cant recall a period of such sustained snowfall and epic riding. Yesterday Cortina was VERY as was Nori and just a few people at Corts (maybe 60 waiting for the top lift to open at 9) and then next door was a ghost town. Today we went back to Nori which was still great (3 of us at the lift when it opened) but it appears we had more snow in town last night and it wasnt a full reset. Tomorrow looks to be though and we'll head north again but by all reports Cortina was a circus today so will be giving that a miss.

Nothing is free though and as we dont own a snow blower we dig by hand. We have built a nw little place above our gallery as our winter digs and its great as my mother in law lives on the 2nd floor so we can look after her too. Have now got it set up so our roofs on the extensions shed snow but.......This is the 2nd day in a row we have had to dig the kero tank out as well as everything else. Roof snow sucks.... :)

skifree, 2ESki, SnowBound and 5 others like this.
  28. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Maybe you were not on digging duties in season 14/15? LOL

M_G and smackies like this.
  29. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Indeed, my responsibilites have changed a LOT since then :) :) :) :)

30. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Well, if you choose not to have a snowblower, it must suck to be you this winter. ;):eek:LOL

Hyst and Lucky Pete like this.
  31. TACKIE

TACKIE One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Roof snow is the worst.

32. BMWRX

BMWRX One of Us

Even worse than yellow snow?

Lucky Pete likes this.
  33. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

This album is actually a classic ........ depending on your age I guess .

Lucky Pete likes this.
  34. Kimski

Kimski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Sob. Why couldn’t it be like this last year :mad::(

BMWRX likes this.
  35. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Don’t know why I clicked on this thread. :(

tr+h, Kimski and BMWRX like this.
  36. BMWRX

BMWRX One of Us

I'm hearing upwards of 7m has fallen already.

I saw a shot from outside the Rabbit Hole with the road guarded by a wall of snow. Last year you could walk anywhere you wanted and had to go searching for snow at valley level.

37. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Well I wont complain again about how much snow we have had here so far and clearing it. Today we went to Charmant as it had been shut for 3 days and my heart went out to all the old people in the roadside villages trying to deal with huge amounts of snow. As the women tend to out live the men many of those folks are elderly women. I didnt want and stop and take too many pics but this one and it doesnt really capture what they were up against. In the villages the houses are somewhat close together so really no where to even put the snow.

Charmant itself was FUN. We got there 30mins after it opened after spending 40mins stopped at Otari due to a 2 truck accident. I was happy to be in the car waiting and not one of the trucks involved nor the resultant ambulances. The roads into there were heavily snowed in with the freeway exit still closed due to snow and the main coast road reduced to 2 lanes where it is usually 4 anf tighter in the smaller streets.

We finally arrived just before 9 having left at 550am and were stoked how few cars were in the carpark. It had got a little warm the day before so it wasnt blower dry but still an epic morning. The Cat Tracks there can be quite nasty and I think we all got caught out at least once and on a lap after 2 1/2hrs riding flat out one smoked me and I only managed one more lap with another nice slam before I pulled the pin leaving the rest of the crew to it.

Before heading back slurped down a Ramen which was pretty good although the ones in the top hut are better if I recall correctly then stopped and ckecked out the coast on the way home. All in all a great day and a quick shout out to those that help me ride #neversummerjapan #bern_japan and #hakubawax

Attached Files:

Scoober, mannyk, skifree and 5 others like this.
  38. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

So different to last year.

Attached Files:

39. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

My bottom pic. Guys surfing.

skifree and Lucky Pete like this.
  40. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Just for a change a sunny day tomorrow then ..... :)

41. Jacksong

Jacksong Addicted

Looks like a great trip to the coast. Was thinking of going myself just to take some photos but thoughts of getting stuck somewhere put me off. I guess those who who run snow removal businesses are profiting after a lean year last year. How much did Hakuba get over that last dump?

42. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

We probably got 50 I think but cant recall precisely. Most of the clearing is contracted and the guys get paid irrespective of how much they have to clear. Last year they made bank as didnt have to do much if at all, this year those same guys are working pretty hard to meet their contractual arrangements. A few other guys are doing it by the hour and doing very well although some are a bit too oppurtunistic with their rates which is dissapointing so we dont engage them for our clients.

43. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Happo announced yesterday that they will be suspending some lifts and areas. The lifts and areas in grey are those that are affected. This makes sense considering current visitor numbers and hopefully helps carry them over the winter finacially.

#193 Lucky Pete, Jan 16, 2021 at 10:41 AM
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021 at 11:42 PM
  44. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Tsugaike have announced some lifts and facilities will be suspended M-F which once again is a prudent move finacially.

45. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

FREERIDE HAKUBA 2021

46. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

After the awesome riding yesterday at Lotte today was a bluebird day and whilst some of the guys headed back to Tsuguike to score some left overs from yesterday I headed over to Iwatake with my wife. It was a stunning day, we did a few laps, grabbed a coffee then bumped into some friends and skied a few more laps. It was clear the day before had been pretty special there as well with tracks everywhere except the odd not so well known spot but all an all a really great day in a beautiful location. Their park this year is huge too which is great for the local rippers (not me ;) )

Donzah likes this.
  47. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Great pics.. love those mountains..