Hakuba -2012 thread links and stuff

Toto Warmlet

One of Us
Sep 2, 2003
Poor buggar indeed.
TJ, this just beggars the question, WTF have you been feuding with damian about?
He and I have been feuding for our own reasons, still somewhat unclear to me.

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
Still somewhat unclear to me too Toto.
fishing.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site
Toto Warmlet said:
Poor buggar indeed.
TJ, this just beggars the question, WTF have you been feuding with damian about?
He and I have been feuding for our own reasons, still somewhat unclear to me.

My god you are a trivial attention seeker. What possible relevance to this thread or recent discussion does your post have? You gave me a mouthful months ago about being in the more general Japan thread, so I dropped out of it. Now you are seemingly wanting for something to agitate you and your self absorbed ego and so now you are in this thread trying to get it. I don't even read your posts, never did, I don't 'feud' with you either besides one small itchy moment, I don't even notice you. Who are you?? Grow up and get over your insecurities, who ever you are. Please make you lame attempts to bully some trouble elsewhere. Do you really think you and your goons matter? It is what you don't know that matters more.

In other news, a person is apparently still missing in an assumed avalanche incident on the north side of Happo from a few days ago.

Donza

Pool Room
Apr 21, 2004
wollongong
Looks good CM

If I can offer a critique...your grip on your inside pole is a bit tight...that will get you up and under when you scoot a tree on your left...

fattwins

One of Us
May 5, 2004
japan
hakubapowderlodging.com
Saw the SAR team on the exit between 47 and Happo. Also saw the Heli flying around looking for someone. They asked if we had seen someone with a green jacket and told us about the dangers. We dug a little test pit and it wasnt clear about stablity at all. 2 crusts with light snow sandwhiched in between. The light was so bad so we really couldnt see the snow still very sugar like. An extened column test produced an ect 27 which wasnt so bad but I dont like the look of those crusts. Skied a very safe line to the bottom and went home.

Toto Warmlet

One of Us
Sep 2, 2003
who am i?
well I'm not a Rhodes Scholar and you don't have to be one to realise my comments actually were a dig at TJ, but anyway I have pressed the ignore button and will not respond to any of the stuff above and see how it works, and I will keep on doing the stuff I always have and nobody has to watch or read any of it.
Catch up with some of you in Japan soon.
cheers TW.

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site
TW - I can't work it out. You have habit of appearing out of the blue and kind of jabbing at me. I assumed this was another one that really seemed out of place. If I was wrong - sorry for the double-jab back. It does not matter. Enjoy your travels.

Donza said:

It's Japan. Image is more important than substance?

early_crow

First Runs
Aug 27, 2010
Is it possible to leave a snowboard bag at Shinjuku station for a few hours while checking out some ski shops? We're gonna have a few hours to kill before our bus to Hakuba.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
early_crow said:
Is it possible to leave a snowboard bag at Shinjuku station for a few hours while checking out some ski shops? We're gonna have a few hours to kill before our bus to Hakuba.

If you're heading into Tokyo station first, drop your bags at the Gin No Suza meeting place (inside the JR Tokyo station gates and down stairs in Gransta) There is a "cloke room" there where you can leave oversized items for 500yen.
The ski shop area is closer to Tokyo station than Shinjuku (two stops). You can then catch the JR Chuo Rapid line to Shinjuku later.

early_crow

First Runs
Aug 27, 2010
Cheers Sandy. We'll be coming in on the Limousine bus from Narita, then hopping onto the Keio Highway Bus later that afternoon.

Donza

Pool Room
Apr 21, 2004
wollongong
can you buy tickets for the 11.pm bus at shinjuku..? just walk up?

just a idea if my plane gets delayed

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Donza said:
can you buy tickets for the 11.pm bus at shinjuku..? just walk up?

just a idea if my plane gets delayed

Usually, it's better to book, but I'd say if there's spare seats, you could just front up if you know where the ticket office is.

Donza

Pool Room
Apr 21, 2004
wollongong
I have two scenarios
Plane is on time… shink to nagano…smitty picks me up at a reasonable hour
Plane is delayed.. I goto Shinjuku and catch highway bus up

The only other drama is alerting smitty to the fact I’ll be on time or delayed

Oh well

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Why not catch the Hakubus direct from Narita.

They will wait for delayed planes ... within reason

Donza

Pool Room
Apr 21, 2004
wollongong
Dr. Wood Duck said:
Why not catch the Hakubus direct from Narita.

They will wait for delayed planes ... within reason
would rather avoid it
a long bus ride

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
In reference to the avi pic. I knew a guy who was out there just before it happened. He said it was sliding all over the place so he got the hell out of there. A good lesson that you don't actually have to be the one to set off the slide to get caught up in it.

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site
That photo prompted me to make this post.

I instruct AST Level 1 avalanche courses in Hakuba. So too does Evergreen. For the benefit of those who follow this thread, here is a snippet of what is taught.

Four classic characteristics of avalanche start zones:

Of primary concern:

1. Slope steepness: Avalanches happen on slopes above 30 degrees, with 35-45 being where most avalanches occur.

2. Slope aspect relative to the wind: Slopes near ridge lines that collect wind-transported snow have inherently unstable windslab on them. This is called top-loading. Also be aware of mid-slope areas where the wind has blown across the slope and loaded each gully (no, they are not half-pipes). This is called cross-loading.

Generally of secondary concern, however still very important:

3. Slope aspect relative to the sun: the sun weakens snow rapidly, particularly on steep slopes and particularly immediately after a storm or late in a hot day in spring. Steep sunny slopes also have complicated weak layers associated with sun crusts, particularly in places like Hakuba.

4. Slope ground roughness and anchoring: slopes with very little vegetation and small rocks/smooth ground offer virtually no anchoring for the snow and are much easier to trigger avalanches on.

That slope is a perfect example of all of these avalanche start zone characteristics. So when you look at that photo, learn from what happened there.

Within an avalanche start zone the most sensitive trigger points to start an avalanche are:

1. areas of convexity/blind rollovers
2. unsupported slopes such and above cliffs and rapidly steepening areas
3. below cornices
4. at the toe of a rock face
5. near isolated rocks and trees on an open slope
6. skiing over shallow areas of the slope such as over barely buried rocks.
7. generally right up near the ridgeline. Take the safest most conservative route into a large open slope. Don't go in red hot from the top. This isn't a ski movie.

Be aware of what characterises an avalanche start zone and what the most sensitive trigger areas are. Also be aware that avalanches happen on slopes that do not meet all those criteria. If you are not keenly alert to the changing character of the terrain that you are on, and the character of the terrain which is below you and above you, then you are in over your head and would be better staying on simple low angle (30 degrees and under) terrain in forested areas.

Digging snow pits will not keep you alive. Understanding basic avalanche conditions combined with observing how terrain works will keep you alive.

Respect the mountains - they do not owe anyone a god damned thing and don't care who you are or if you have a Go Pro. An avalanche can snuff you out in a moment, the world will forget you forever, and the mountains will simply remain silent.

Hakuba Avalanche bulletin: http://nadare.jp/alert/index.html (pay attention to the valid date)

Donza

Pool Room
Apr 21, 2004
wollongong
Good post damien...

when you think of the experienced people that have been killed in Avalanches you appreciate that in the words of Jeremy Jones "no one is above the law".

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
Poor bastard didn't stand a chance.
No wonder they had trouble finding him, the length of the slide and the depth in the debris zone was very large.

Donza

Pool Room
Apr 21, 2004
wollongong
parkmonkey said:
Donza said:
parkmonkey said:
Just send him a text message when you land tightass.
smitty no phone
Text the missus at home and get her to skype smittty.
smitty will be in nagano
he is picking the car up at the hire place..waiting around for a bit
anyways...

Donza

Pool Room
Apr 21, 2004
wollongong
Myoko_Guy said:
Tell Smitty to sleep in the car till you get there...?
I think i'm going to ring FT and tell him what time I get there...and smitty can ring as well
they have pay phones on the shink hey..?

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com
That sounds the best option, unless you've both got a 3G phone or tablet with Skype

Otherwise ring the Maccas in Nagano Station and get them to pass on a note.

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Talking of pay phones on the shink - what do they take i.e. coins, notes, cards or what.
Need to ring accommodation once I'm on the train and will be a bit of an idiot if I haven't got the right coin?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass