1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Hakuba -2012 thread links and stuff

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Donza, Nov 24, 2011.

1. TJ

TJ One of Us

Just off Happo. Perfect morning on the mountain with the sun poking through. Lots of packed pow.and plenty of deep stuff in the trees. Can't believe how quiet it is here.

2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Great day at Cortina. Because the resort was shut yesterday the 45cm of pow reported plus a further 15cm overnight had consolidated, so instead of the faceshot blower bonanza we were expecting instead we had surfy creamy hi speed pow which is just as fun! Plus blue skies which was basically our first chance this week to see some of the surroundings.

3. damian

damian A Local

yes.

We climbed to 2100m and tucked in just below where the wind was honking. Wide open bowls of creamy long turns and high speeds. I swear one run felt so smooth and consistent that I could no longer feel the snow, like I was skiing an inch over the surface.

Evidence of recent avalanche activity in the area, small pockets of wind slab that we could trigger, and a new large avalanche photographed on the south side of Happo on steep terrain.

4. damian

damian A Local

Just a little way down valley: 30-55cm, depending on where you stood. Nice powder. [Not anywhere near a ski lift]

[​IMG]

I'd recommend people in Hakuba head to Chamant Hiuchi if they have a car and are prepared for 2 hours each way (or more, or less)

#504 damian, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  5. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

Haha time to study some maps to find a catchers mit. Paedde said you could tell him about it cause he wont ever hike all day long.

6. damian

damian A Local

No need to tell Patrick of distant Places. Today there was fast smooth powerful powder 50cm over the rain crust - totally untracked - only 40 minutes hike from a chairlift. It was very very fine. We put 35 tracks down it.

7. saudade101

saudade101 First Runs

hey guys, first time poster, long time follower........
    With a little local knowledge and help from some Hakuba friendlies, I've managed to have the best snowboarding experience of my life! Cortina was mind blowing, something I'll never forget! It gave me the confidence to start exploring trees at other resorts (even though it's frowned apon) and it just opened up another world.
    This forum has helped my awareness of the mountain, especially when it comes to avi danger amongst other things, so thanks to all who post, you've made my experience in Hakuba one to remember!

8. Mark102

Mark102 A Local

#508 Mark102, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  9. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

It has been remiss of me not to mention the same thing - the Honshu portion of our trip was almost a 100% forum affair (While the Niseko portion was 100% organised with Buller mates). Right from the point Sandy picked us up from Haneda and had us stay at his house, we went shopping with him and DWD +1 in Tokyo then drove up to Hakuba together and stayed with TJ, who showed us around Happo on our first morning. We then moved over to fattwins' place where Mark102 and paedde were staying and skied with all of them as well plus their friends, showing us some (but not all) of their precious stashes. Also got PMs of advice from Donza and damian, not to mention the advice in the various Japan threads. So thanks to all that helped us have a great time. [​IMG] [​IMG]

#509 CarveMan, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  10. TJ

TJ One of Us

Always happy to assist anyone who drops by. There is a lot that I don't put in the forums as I prefer to qualify people a bit before recommending them where to go. Glad you had such an awesome time saudade101. A little local knowledge can go a long way on any mountain.

CM - it could have been epic on Happo had they opened that lift for us. [​IMG]

#510 TJ, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  11. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

Hey carveman hope to see some epicness from the craddle of Sking Cham!

12. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Awhile since anyone posted on here.

Just in case anyone is wondering - despite still having great snow bases today is the last day of the season at Cortina, Norikura, Iwatake and Sanosaka. Minekata and Kashimayari are already closed. Happo-one and 47 are closing several lifts but hope to keep some areas open till Golden Week (early May). At Goryu, Iimori closes today, Toomi area is open until next Sunday 8th April but the upper slopes will hopefully stay open until Golden Week. Tsugaike Kogen also hopes to stay open until Golden week.

So if you can get a late cheap fare there is still plenty of snow to go around. Just check out FT's video on the more recent thread. You can get in some cherry blossom viewing too [​IMG]

#512 M_G, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013