1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Travel Life Hakuba 2020

Discussion in 'Japan' started by BMWRX, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

If they haven't gone under............ :(

2. BMWRX

BMWRX One of Us

I feel sorry for the businesses at the bases of the fields. No one is going to them. Most of the ones at the bottom of Happo aren't even opening.

This morning I chatted to a husband and wife who arrived yesterday afternoon. They have already packed up and heading to Shiga. I'm guessing they made the decision based on what you can see at the base.

3. BMWRX

BMWRX One of Us

Tsugaike yesterday was great. Sure it was warm and the snow wet from about midday but plenty of fun was had. It took me a couple hours to jump into the gondola and see the other side of the mountain to do some back country stuff but once there it was brilliant. Although my first attempt at trees lacked a bit of speed.

[​IMG]

I struggled in the softer snow so a bit of technique change may be necessary to what I'm used to on the piste.

And the biggest news of the day...my partner got things parallel and did get first red run. Good times for all.

Kimski and Donzah like this.
  4. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

BTW, it's now March and the Ropeway should be open!!!!

Rimey likes this.
  5. BMWRX

BMWRX One of Us

Where's the Ropeway?

We're at 47 today. The Green run from the top was less than beginner friendly. Narrow and icy/crusty. My partner had a heck of a time getting down. I'm enjoying the runs from the top. It's getting a little mushy towards the bottom but I'm not complaining. Time to go slide on to the other side and do a bit of Goryu.

6. Sandy

Ropeway is about 100m NE of the top of the gondola. You can see it if you go to the top chair, main run, down to the right where the defunct chair is. You get around an extra 200m vertical.

7. BMWRX

BMWRX One of Us

Goryu......big fan. Super wide runs, good range of pitches and decent snow (very wet for the last bit to base but you get that to have such a cracking blue day). It's just a little crowded as everyone has switched from 47 around midday.

8. Donzah

Sounds like the snow machine festival is already causing dramas in Hakuba

I hoped this wouldn't happen.

9. BMWRX

BMWRX One of Us

P!ssed idiots everywhere and the word 'Australian' being used in the wrong tones in numerous overheard conversations. Every morning I'm seeing cans and bottles on the roads or tossed into the trees. It's Haku-Bali at the moment. Very disappointing.

10. Donzah

Yeah I'm really sad about this.
    I expected.... It.. But hoped for a huge blizzard

11. Donzah

Damage to a Dosojin in Hakuba. Blamed on pissed Aussies

[​IMG]

12. Sandy

I'm not sure which one that is and where.... Do you have more info and a location?

13. Donzah

Its on the Hakuba noticeboard ... Text

I hate OZ!!
    I don’t wanna say like that.

BUT now I really really hate OZ

Go home quickly before you get out of Corona!!

4 days of tickets held from 2 days ago, the villagers are banned from public facilities until 22 pm. Don Champa!
    It's outdoor so i may not have to be restrained and restrained,, terrible.

A drink near the village as a countermeasure closes at 22

Australian famous artists are coming. I don't know!

People in the flirtatious are frustrated.
    The toilet isn't enough, so people's house stealth and toilet.

You mean throwing up all over the place? Next to the venue is my mom's management field.
    I wonder if it's going to be big or small?

Garbage is scattered.

Auntie is getting a toilet in front of the entrance of the house.
    Because it's recorded

The Doso-Doso in the rice field are also broken, and they are not able to take photos of the site, and they are going to submit it, and they are so strong that they Pretty much.

It's not that flirtatious and village tourism stations are doing it! Flirtatious is volunteering to patrol.

This is a noise for me, so I'm told that I'm going to stop this snow, and I'm restrained to the snow machine in the mountain of onagi. Oz

I hate it get out

People in the area can't even leave home.

Oh my God!

Postscript
    The video of the toilet in front of my grandmother's house has been removed from the law, and the video of the security camera is not allowed to be published by the police.

14. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

This is my take on the festival having attended, looked at the area the next morning and read many FB posts such as the one above.

Its been VERY easy to focus on a few crappy behaviors and I know 1st hand some folks are using those to push their own agenda, particularly in the Happo area. That's not to say there hasnt been impacts though.

Overall I reckon the organizers have worked hard to minimise the impacts and the vast majority of patrons have the right attitude and behavior. No doubt there has been some minor property damage, definitely some noise impacts and the odd incident that is not cool at all. That being said from all I have seen myself and from comments of other attendees, staff and residents we know in that area things really are not as bad as some make out, and whilst not condoning it, not much different to other periods over winter, which in my view are often over blown by most folks anyway.

Knowing the guys that put it on they will be very aware that some things will need to change if they are to do this again and they have already been making changes on the go like no chu hai after 9pm etc. They have had litter crews out night and day and I have definitely seen drunker people in Japanese owned bars in Hakuba then I saw on the night.

It will be VERY disappointing if this event can not happen again as it has bought a welcome surge of guests in a week that is historically reasonably quiet with the vast majority of those guests being great. Sure some changes will need to be made but it was great someone took such a punt to put on such an event here in Hakuba.

blowfin and Donzah like this.
  15. Donzah

Good to know mate.
    I bet it brought more money to the Valley than the Free ride world tour.........

Lucky Pete likes this.
  16. BMWRX

BMWRX One of Us

Talk over the breakfast table in the hotel this morning was that a lot of bars shut up shop early last night to prevent trouble flowing into their establishment. Apparently Rabbit Hole was one of them, which ticked off quite a few people.

Personally I've heard a few yahoos at night (we're at Da Laile) but nothing that interrupted my sleep a great deal (although I'm generally in a coma by around 8pm after a ski day). It's the litter and general aggressive behaviour from festival goers that has caused me consternation.

17. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

The Rabbit Hole was shut as their staff and management are part of the event.

If I still owned a bar and it was near the event I would have shut too just prior to 10pm :)

18. Sandy

Firstly, most people don't know which festival you're talking about, but I assume it was the Happo One Fire Festival on Feb 19th (or there abouts)?

Dosojin are generally Shinto roadside ancestor spirits, marked by stones, believed to protect travellers and pilgrims from evil spirits.
    Like this:
    [​IMG]

19. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

No its the Snow Machine Festival currently on.

20. zarik

zarik Addicted

I have been to couple music festival in Japan, it is just completely different experience than in North America or I am guessing Australia. I think Japanese do not get how much of shit show it tends to become.

That Dosojin being broken is will be a big deal. These things tend to be very old and people feel connection to it. It will really piss them off. If this really happened organizers need to suck it up, cough up cash, kiss as much ass as needed as hard as needed and make it ok. I am guessing need to talk to local shrine people and basically pay them off, probably need Japanese go in between. Being drunk and disorderly is annoying breaking something that stood there for hundred years+ is a big NO NO and it will be a reminder that will stay there.

person s likes this.
  21. Donzah

Was/is a decent lineup.
    [​IMG]

phillthy likes this.
  22. Fancy_Pants

Fancy_Pants Addicted

23. Donzah

A mate that lives in Hakuba reckons the last 10 Australia days were worse...

Lucky Pete likes this.
  24. andrew7

andrew7 Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

Ugly stuff. Lets hope this crowd doesn't discover Shiga Kogen and other like peaceful/mello/family Japanese resorts (makes note never to return to Hakuba; thanks to Hughey that I have enjoyed good times there in "the gold old days i.e approx. 10 years ago...)

elSpike likes this.
  25. BMWRX

BMWRX One of Us

The toasties are fantastic. Solid recommendation (and the guy running the bar was chuffed he got recommended).

Sadly Sanosaka only has a couple runs open and they are looking a bit ragged. Still enough snow to have some fun but I feel like I'm spending all day on lifts as the runs are over in a hurry.

26. Donzah

If this was Europe. It would be epic apres.
    Cause it's in Japan... It's different....
    Would be fun AF. Corona bar Happo.

Lucky Pete likes this.
  27. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Very nice to wake up to reasonably heavy snow in the valley this morning although its windy. Yesterday had the mountain bike and CT110 (postie) bike out for a ride so a welcome change!

TGK are reporting gondy on hold due to wind but lifts open. I would think Happo Gondy may be the same but not sure. 47 reported 5cm of snow in 1 hr (7am to 8am) and forecast looks like snow all day. We are moving into one of our apartments today so waiting for the weather to settle down today and hitting it tomorrow.

Hyst, Kimski and 2ESki like this.
  28. nanami_JS

nanami_JS Hard Yards

Don’t know any of these artists... what genre is this?

29. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I see Tom Tilley
    ex-JJJ Hack?
    I read that he was a skier, and a bass player, so maybe now a promoter

30. Donzah

Yeah he's been doing it for years at thredbo.Promoting.

31. person s

but not cool anymore

32. Donzah

I think he grew up ... after his accident.....
    I like TT ..

33. Donzah

EDM (of varying styles) mainly

nanami_JS likes this.
  34. BMWRX

BMWRX One of Us

Well, so ends the ski trip that started this thread. Six days on the snow and, despite there not being as much snow as expected, I couldn't have asked for much more.

We did Cortina on Thursday following Wednesday nights fall. It continued on Thursday and was a bit windy so the resort was far from busy. Truly a great place to ski, although it was plenty hard under the fresh snow if you crashed.

Yesterday we were going to hit up Norikura but the buses were packed with people fighting to get to Cortina, so we headed back to trusty Tsugaike. It was a cracking day. Blue skies, a little bit of snow mid-morning and hard, fast surfaces until the afternoon sun started to moisten things.

And to top it all off, I loved the skis I hired so made a cheeky comment to the shop about buying the skis off them cheap (i.e. <$100). I've now got a pair of K2 Ikonic 85Ti's (yes, three seasons old but in very good shape). Right place, right time.

We're now packing up to head to Tokyo for four days. Unfortunately nearly everything for tourists is closed due to the virus. So we'll be heading to a few pubs tomorrow to watch the UFC and Women's T20 Cricket final. So far Hobgoblins looks the best bet for doing this. Any other suggestions? We're staying in Ueno.

person s likes this.
  35. Sandy

You go to Norikura the same day as Cortina, as they are linked.
    Normally, every man and his dog head to Cortina on a powder day..... Which is why I avoid it, and spend at least the entire morning at Norikura.(chasing powder)

nanami_JS likes this.
  36. zarik

zarik Addicted

Continuing with reports from less visited resorts:

Went to Kashima yari on Saturday, supermarket had a discount coupon making lift tickets 2000 yen for adults super cheap. In the morning it was pretty much solid ice. Good fun if you are on stable skis. Later in the day there was a lot of damage from sun it turned into a very grabby mush. Most fun to be had was on course 5a(best cover away from sun). 5c was fun steep ice as well. 5b was a solid bulletproof moguls, above my skill level. Tree run next to 5a was "closed" but actually you could ski it, which I did was grabby snow but fun since nobody else was there at all, my kids also enjoyed exploring it.

After went to http://o-yakushinoyu.com if you bring Kashima lift ticket you get a small discount. Really nice onsen, last year I seen a Kamoshika come really close to the outdoor bath. Inside there is a room temperature bath, and sauna very relaxing.

Finally for dinner went to http://www.kanko-omachi.gr.jp/foods/2017/04/kunis.php owner is a I think a big mountain skier, inside he has a lot of telemark skis and pictures of him? skiing some big lines on mountains near Omachi. Food is great, I really liked their Hamburg, appetizer quesadilla and chicken was good as well.

I had some really nice days at Kashima last year, this year not so much. Still a nice place with great views and far less busy then big resorts but snow quality is pretty bad now, 47 is probably much nicer skiing right now.

LaNeige likes this.
  37. BMWRX

BMWRX One of Us

47 was an ice rink when we went last week.

I checked out the ski shops today around Chiyoda. Big savings on skis to be found. Vail had most of their range on special already then took a further 30%. Whip out the old passport and the tax disappears too. My partner is eyeing off some Rossi Experience 74's for about $400. It seems a good price but I'm unsure if the starting price was inflated, making it not such a great bargain. She's deciding on them before we leave on Wednesday.

I'm looking for poles but unsure what makes a good one. Carbon poles would be nice and fancy but I can see myself snapping them on my first crash.

Sadly goggles aren't on special. And those that are there are Asian fit which is uncomfortable on my nose.

38. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I’ve got one pair of carbon poles which are maybe 15 or 16 years old, and another pair 5 years old. Why two pairs? I went for a shorter length in a new pair (and then later got the old ones cut down).

They’ve clearly not snapped! :) I love the feel of a carbon pole.

BMWRX likes this.
  39. person s

yep
    I’ve had a couple of pairs - first got stolen - and no issue with risk of damage
    my last alloy poles were strangely bent when I stopped using them

40. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Cortina closed already for the season!

:eek:

41. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Yep as of yesterday with a LOT of snow in the forecast ......

42. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Isn't that usually the case?

How often is there a dump in Vic/Oz after an early closure?

Baw Baw was a good example a few years back. Dreadful season - closure before Sept Schl hols AFAIR then dumpsville.

By the there were no staff around, gone!

Lucky Pete likes this.
  43. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Woohoo light snowfall down to the valley floor this morning! Hopefully this little storm cycle matches/exceeds the forecast!

Hyst and snowgum like this.
  44. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Well its on! Rode 47 this morning for a few laps but the poor visibility and conditions make that a short session. Its been snowing heavily since about 8am to the valley floor and tomorrow should be all time. Its at least the 3rd out of 6 mid Marches that have really delivered.

snowgum likes this.
  45. snowgum

I guess you’re not called ‘LP’ without a good reason then?? ;):skier::emoji_medal:

46. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Indeed ;) But those that have met my wife know how lucky I really am.

snowgum likes this.
  47. snowgum

Cool she must have a good one then!

Lucky Pete likes this.
  48. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Snowfall from this afternoon at our Apartments. Some lifts didnt open today due to wind and with last nights and today's snow with more more overnight tomorrow tomorrow could well be epic :)

M_G likes this.
  49. BMWRX

BMWRX One of Us

I was told, when I was there (I miss it already), that there were more pow days in April last year than during the regular season.

Hakuba has made a mark on me. I contemplated going to Shiga or Nozawa next year but I feel I've got unfinished business in Hakuba (particularly going all the way from the top of Happo to the base).

snowgum likes this.
  50. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

BMWRX glad to hear you want to come back. Its been an odd season to say the least :)

Not sure who told you that but its factually incorrect in my experience. We had 3 epic mid April days in a row last year (mid April too) but no more than that as I recall. But Feb wasnt all that good last season :)

Well this morning turned it ON. We are staying in one of our apartments whilst we reno ours and woke to this view

The top lift was not ready on time (again!!!) with quiet the line forming. Pretty well inexcusable for my mind and the others that had got up early to get 1st tracks. This was about 10 mins before they actually opened so more than this. Luckily the patrol were at the gates ensuring only DBD members were dropping into that, well generally.

That being said this morning was about as good as it gets.

Kudos to the ACT guys (separate crew from the lifties) for getting the gates opened. Managed to be the 1st into the DBD with no one immediately behind me and it was Zen like, no noise, no one around me and sublime conditions. Did 4 laps and and the 5th lightly (well not so lightly) caressed a tree so called it quits and rode out. Plenty of smiles from everyone.

All in all a really good morning of riding and the 3rd or 4th mid March that has really delivered in just over the 5 years I have lived here.

Its snowing up top as I write so tomorrow should be another cracker but it will be hard to beat such a nice bluebird pow day today.

person s, Kimski, M_G and 1 other person like this.