1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Travel Life Hakuba 2020

Discussion in 'Japan' started by BMWRX, Oct 13, 2019.

1. TACKIE

TACKIE One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Top of Goryu and down to 47 was great this morning, and held good snow til mid arvo when the legs said enough is enough.

Lucky Pete, Annabuzzy and snowgum like this.
  2. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Good times this morning. Approx 40cm at the top of 47 although a tad wet. Managed to get 1st turns down line 2 which was VERY good, then a couple more runs up top before a top to bottom run, 2nd time round it was pretty chopped up so bailed. Glad you had a good day too Tackie.

Hyst, TACKIE, Kimski and 2 others like this.
  3. Kimski

Kimski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Wow, looks much more wintery than the beginning of February when I was there!

Hyst and snowgum like this.
  4. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

crazy! & few to ski it.
    Oh well another year eh?

Hyst and Kimski like this.
  5. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

After 5 days of fresh pow in the valley we have rain today but yesterday was FUN even if the snow was a little wet :) Looks like some light snow up top tonight and more snow tomorrow night and Tuesday. #march

Kimski, Hyst, M_G and 1 other person like this.
  6. BMWRX

BMWRX Addicted

That looks awesome. And I don't recall the trees being that far apart when I was zooming between them...or maybe my level of ability made the seem much closer together!

7. snowgum

That’s insane snow! Trees look pretty close for average punters.

Lucky Pete likes this.
  8. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

More snow today. Maybe 10cm +. I was going to go back to Cortina but top lift is shut. I wont ride in Gondolas now due to the risk so have come home instead.

TBH the resorts should shut ASAP. Being open rapidly escalates the risks to our elderly and immune compromised community members, of which a large part of our population is, by having non residents coming in and out of town. From what I can see we are the only country still operating lifts.

In line with that, even though business was ticking along nicely we have shut our shop and last rental property indefinitely as to not put our staff which includes my wife at risk. Not an easy decision but one that needed to be made.

M_G, Donzah and TACKIE like this.
  9. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I agree... Nick was saying similar yesterday... and he is usually pretty chilled ...

10. TACKIE

TACKIE One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Not sure how seriously the Japanese nationals are taking this. Judging by the number of them who swarmed into Hakuba last long week end. Very surprised the ski fields are still open. Even against advice, plenty of folk still hanging around anywhere with sakurablossoms .

Donzah likes this.
  11. BMWRX

BMWRX Addicted

I thought Cortina closed a week or so ago for the season. Is there a secret handshake to get back on the lifts?

12. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Haha, actually, majority ski resorts here in Japan are open even now, not only Hakuba.

It's actually very far from lockdown in Japan now and I don't think Japan need it (=lockdown). The sports gym and Yoga salon I go to are still open. They are higher risk in that they are more crowded than ski fields. Lockdown won't be able to extinguish COVID-19 but it'll just decrease the number of newly infected people during the lockdown period. Vaccine and medicines won't be available soon unfortunately, so lockdown is almost meaningless unless they can keep the lockdown for a few years or even longer (in that it will take at least 2 years or so that the vaccines and medicines become available). I don't think any country can keep the lockdown for that long. If the lockdown can't extinguish the virus, it will just kill the economy = the worst scenario (economic crisis also can kill a lot of people)

Having said that, if my parents were older than 70 years and I were living with them, I would never go to crowded places. About 40 Japanese people have died of COVID-19 as of last night. 39 out of 40 + deaths are older than 70. The only one exception is a guy in his 50s who was suffering from a cancer (stage 4, reportedly). So, for majority of people, COVID-19 is not fatal. Flu kills a lot of people every year, and actually, not many people in Japan have died of flu this season "thanks to the outbreak of COVID-19"(I mean, people have been more careful to avoid catching virus). So, in a way, you can say "This year is safer than last year"(I know many of you disagree with me, though;))

Someone might need to make a new thread "COVID-19 in Japan":p

13. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

They reopened as the storm that was in the forecast for 10 days came, 3 days after they shut.

14. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Only place on the planet as I understand it. Is everyone else wrong or Japan? To be blunt with elderly in laws and other family members here facing pre-existing significant health problems I am calling for the resorts to put the community well being in front of cash flow and close thus vastly reducing the influx of people from areas with infections into our small, elderly community.

BMWRX and TACKIE like this.
  15. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Significant snowfall over night. Must be 20+cm down in the valley and much more up top. As much as I would like to ride Im sticking to our plan of self isolation. Yesterday there was no snow in this pic.

fennekeg, M_G, Hyst and 1 other person like this.
  16. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I thought folk were just getting out skiing over there? Hokkaido friends have been ‘thoughtfully’ sharing video of empty powder slopes, as locals enjoy mountains free of tourists

17. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Some are, those that take a wider approach to community safety are self isolating.

Hyst and TACKIE like this.
  18. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Happo has closed today and TGK will tomorrow as a result of the declaration of a state of emergency by Abe, even though Nagano was not one of the listed prefectures. Its great to see this happen as both these are magnets for bringing people from elsewhere into our valley, something we dont want under the current circumstances so kudos to all involved in making that decision. All eyes are on Goryu/47 to see if they do the right thing too or see this as an opportunity to make $. Hopefully they to step up.

In other news its a great time to be out by myself wandering around on my little CT110. I always love spring here, you can see so much more without all the vegetation some days.

snowgum, Hyst, BMWRX and 5 others like this.
  19. BMWRX

BMWRX Addicted

That a great photo. It's sad to see the fields turn to grass and the lift close but it'll be back next year.

I don't think I've ever missed somewhere I've been on holidays as hard as I do Hakuba. And considering this year had horrible snow fall and the town was full of p!ssed Aussies (Snow Machine), being there when all is normal will be even better.

snowgum, Spence and 2ESki like this.
  20. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Just love that bike. :D

Lucky Pete likes this.
  21. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

So that's wrap for the season with 47 and Goryu closing today much to the joy of a lot of their staff and local residents. Whilst not a cracker there were plenty of good days and a couple epic. Its going to be interesting to see how next season pans out.

snowgum, M_G, TACKIE and 1 other person like this.
  22. TJ

TJ One of Us

Snowing up on the top of the resorts. That's a long hike for some heavy snow but there will crew up there as soon as it clears.

Sandy and Annabuzzy like this.
  23. BMWRX

BMWRX Addicted

I loved TGK. However, I didn't particularly love how hard the trees were as I was learning my first runs through them. LOL

Even that small run to the left of the Tsuga No Mori lift was brilliant. Big wide area with just enough pitch to get some good pace up. Goodness knows how many times I lapped that thing.

snowgum likes this.
  24. TJ

TJ One of Us

Yep most of the tree runs in Hakuba are actually pretty tight. Even more so on a lean year. They were actually cutting some of the smaller trees down up there a few weeks ago which will make it a bit easier next time. Practice short sharp turns on the runs. Then practice on crowded runs. Moving targets will make you even more responsive :)

BMWRX likes this.
  25. snowgum

more space btn trees (anywhere in Hakuba) would be good. TGK included.

While I loved my Hakuba trip and skiing I was a bit surprised there wasn’t more edge of the run inbounds glade skiing. I think Goryu has a bit (diff colour on their map) but i lacked the time and to a degree the fresh snow to explore.

Perhaps if I was skiing (Tele) better the treed areas would have looked more doable.

I also thought Happo can do more with their upper mtn if the eased their risk reduction policy a tad. I.e Skiers right of the top two or three lifts (facing H47) there’s some nice open slopes, free of trees, modest angle (blue- red) and it’s not only not lifted, it’s out of bounds. (Reminds me of the Drift Tbar slope a tad)

Maybe there’s some hi avi danger, or the (west) wind strips pow etc...?

Happo is so big - it looks like it could be so much better with enthusiasm, money and maybe less legal worries?

Too simplistic? Too hard? Too much cost for benefit?

26. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

The Happo slopes facing Hakuba47 are huge and deadly avalanche areas.

Which mountains did you ski at Hakuba?

27. snowgum

Avi slopes? That explains it Sandy!

Mostly Happo ~ 6 days; 2 @ G/H47, 1@ TSK on lift @ another BC.

Long story short Sandy: new biggish (but excellent) Enforcer 104 skis to get used to; infrequent freshies & often damp & sometimes crusty cover; made even glazed areas challenging at times.

But 1 day old powder above TSK on the Evergreen tour was really nice and fairly easy to ski on.
    I just lacked the fitness to climb as fast as the youngies in the group. Plus a heavy Tele set up & non slip G3 Nylon skins! Feeling my 53 years that day!!

28. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

TSG =TSK?

29. snowgum

DoH yes - my selective dislexia! Cheers :rolleyes:

30. BMWRX

BMWRX Addicted

The hat offers a third interpretation. Even at around $70AUD I couldn't leave without a reminder of the good times there.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

31. snowgum

coo
    Cool - I have my posters & stickers but alas no cloth badges from Japan :)-(

And happy memories!!

32. BMWRX

BMWRX Addicted

I collect caps from all of the places I go. I was toying with the idea of getting a cap from each of the Hakuba resort (i.e. 10 of them). However, only Tsugaike had any (well, ones worth buying). Maybe next time they'll have some at each resort.

33. TJ

TJ One of Us

End of the season would have been yesterday which coincides with the end of the national Golden Week holidays. It timed perfectly with the sakura here this year. Everything was closed and hardly anyone about. A very peaceful and calming time to be in Hakuba with perfect spring time weather. An interesting year ahead no doubt.

fennekeg, Hyst, M_G and 4 others like this.
  34. snowgum

Beautiful - sort of ski homesick already!

BMWRX likes this.