Travel Life Hakuba 2020

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
There used to be a Japanese boot fitter at Escal Plaza Goryu who had the best rep in the valley. Don't know now?
Last I was there in February 2018 he was still there, and I’d definitely get my boot work done there. He’s been there every time I’ve visited since 2010 so I’d be surprised if he’d pulled up stumps

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Reactions: Kimski

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Go see Josh and his crew at Boot Solutions. Many of us get our boots fitted there and they are excellent.
Glad they’re doing well down there.

The podiatrist that owns Boot Solutions is Perth based and Ive always had great things to say about them and sent heaps of people there.
Chose not to use them in Niseko this year for the latest boot purchase as I got rather rude treatment from a new staff member there a few weeks back, and a crappy job of boot glueing. Such a shame as they have such a good rep.

Good news was Rhythm sorted me out with a smile, a discount and some lovely conversation. Best boots ever!

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
I have my new boots :D

Apparently I have ‘tricky’ feet and they had only had one lot of boots for me to try on. Still, better than no suitable boots. My old boots were left at the store for burial / cremation or whatever happens to dead ski boots.

Only problem was I didn’t realise that you can make tax free purchases if you have your passport. Guess which numpty didn’t have their passport on them :oops: No way was I going to pay an extra 10% if I didn’t have to so I had to go from Wadano to Echoland, back to Wadano then yep, back to Echoland again. I bussed it back to my lodge where luckily the lodge owner was bussing a group to a restaurant so I got a ride back to Boot Solutions.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

Apparently I have ‘tricky’ feet and they had only had one lot of boots for me to try on. Still, better than no suitable boots. My old boots were left at the store for burial / cremation or whatever happens to dead ski boots.

Only problem was I didn’t realise that you can make tax free purchases if you have your passport. Guess which numpty didn’t have their passport on them :oops: No way was I going to pay an extra 10% if I didn’t have to so I had to go from Wadano to Echoland, back to Wadano then yep, back to Echoland again. I bussed it back to my lodge where luckily the lodge owner was bussing a group to a restaurant so I got a ride back to Boot Solutions.
You can claim tax exemption at the airport.

Reactions: LMB

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com

Awesome result

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Great result.

The 500 guy at Goryu really is good though!! If anyone has a need keep him in mind. We should be supporting good long standing Japanese businesses too!! :)

blutek

One of Us
Jun 2, 2003
central coast
Can I claim tax exemption for online purchases I made here on Japanese websites?

Also tax exemption is only claimable for purchases totaling 5000 yen and up right?

found this, but may not help if you did not buy 'tax free':
"You must claim the tax refund from the same store as the goods were purchased.
Tax refunds must be claimed on the same day as purchase."
https://www.globalblue.com/tax-free-shopping/japan/

Spence

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2019
Sydney

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Hi guys. Looks like I will be able to make it. I will be with my ski buddies so hope you don’t mind them tagging along. They aren’t forumites but they are Hakuba regulars (9 or 10 trips).
Hope to catch up with all of you in a few hours time.
No worries!!! :D

Goon_Squad

Hard Yards
Jun 4, 2019
Spent the day at Happo one, not good conditions. Solid ice across most of the runs with a thin layer of dry powder on top. Pretty dangerous, had 2 falls from the ice myself and my mate came down on his back and is now out for the rest of the trip (2 more days). It swapped between ice and thin powder very quickly, it's a super hard landing.

Going to head over to tsuigake and cortina tomorrow and hopefully avoid the ice. On the plus side, quite a bit of snow fell during the day, at least a few cms maybe more? Any suggestions on locations without the ice?

DustyPrints

Hard Yards
Jul 31, 2019
Pretty dangerous, had 2 falls from the ice myself and my mate came down on his back and is now out for the rest of the trip (2 more days).

Sounds like conditions aren't improving. Just before I left Hakuba, one of the new peeps staying at my accommodation also fell hard enough on ice to possibly fracture her rib. The way she described the pain seemed very similar to my injury.

Have referred her to Hakuba Physio as recommended by Pete ;)

found this, but may not help if you did not buy 'tax free':
"You must claim the tax refund from the same store as the goods were purchased.
Tax refunds must be claimed on the same day as purchase."
https://www.globalblue.com/tax-free-shopping/japan/
Aww, guess I can't save that 1700 yen :(

Spence

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2019
Sydney
47 was very good yesterday. Piste was in excellent condition. Around 14:00 the wind came up and the exposed slopes started to firm up very quickly but was still generally good. We called it quits at around 14:45 so not sure if it got icy after that. I think we will head back there today.

Reactions: Lucky Pete

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
47 was very good yesterday. Piste was in excellent condition. Around 14:00 the wind came up and the exposed slopes started to firm up very quickly but was still generally good. We called it quits at around 14:45 so not sure if it got icy after that. I think we will head back there today.
Haven't decided yet, but we may go to 47. (or Tsugaike, depending on how much snow fell at the top end of the valley.)
red jacket, yellow pants.

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
Good to catch up with a few of the forumites last night at the Japan mini sic. Thanks Shrike for the gift. Getting stuck into them right now :)

Party mix.jpg

Reactions: LMB and Kimski

fukuro-no-mori

Hard Yards
Dec 24, 2015
my fellow tourists are keen to watch the Super Bowl tomorrow
hotel says they can’t do it
any suggestion re a likely place to watch?

I know it's too late but it was actually on live on NHK BS1, a channel anyone with a satellite antenna can watch, albeit with a nag caption if they've not paid NHK. I think you can even watch it if you just have the local cable tv in Hakuba. Way to go for a hotel not being helpful. That's nearly as bad as charging for water.

If you take broken Burton gear to their shop at Escal, the Burton people will send you downstairs to Hayashi san (500 miles). The guy is a legend.

Those gummis look awesome!

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Spence

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2019
Sydney
Come on guys! Where is your input from today?
How much better was that? At Tsugaike today. About 30cm new snow. Nice and dry and light on the upper runs. Lots of fun and a bit closer to what we came here for. Really enjoyed it and the new snow has noticeably lifted everyone’s mood. Let’s hope it keeps going through the night. Tomorrow could be special. :thumbs:

Reactions: LaNeige and Neslot

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Come on guys! Where is your input from today?
How much better was that? At Tsugaike today. About 30cm new snow. Nice and dry and light on the upper runs. Lots of fun and a bit closer to what we came here for. Really enjoyed it and the new snow has noticeably lifted everyone’s mood. Let’s hope it keeps going through the night. Tomorrow could be special. :thumbs:
Go to Nori tomorrow.
You're welcome

Reactions: Spence

Spence

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2019
Sydney
Very frustrating day today. Very good day yesterday (Saturday) at Nori. After last nights better than expected fall we headed back there this morning with the expectation that we could be in for an epic morning. Epic fcuk up is more like what we got. Firstly the Sunday traffic getting past Tsugaike was pretty awful. Then arrived at Nori to find only three chairs open that only access the lower slopes. Lots of fresh everywhere and no way to get to it. Back to Happo One to long lift queues and top to bottom mogul runs. Did it a couple of times but my very soon to be 55 year old knees are now screaming at me “why do you hate us so much”? So what we thought was going to be a special day turned into an exercise in frustration. Here’s to a better day tomorrow.

Reactions: southpaw

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Very frustrating day today. Very good day yesterday (Saturday) at Nori. After last nights better than expected fall we headed back there this morning with the expectation that we could be in for an epic morning. Epic **** up is more like what we got. Firstly the Sunday traffic getting past Tsugaike was pretty awful. Then arrived at Nori to find only three chairs open that only access the lower slopes. Lots of fresh everywhere and no way to get to it. Back to Happo One to long lift queues and top to bottom mogul runs. Did it a couple of times but my very soon to be 55 year old knees are now screaming at me “why do you hate us so much”? So what we thought was going to be a special day turned into an exercise in frustration. Here’s to a better day tomorrow.
I’ve always made the call and committed to the one resort for the day, for better or for worse. Getting from one resort to another is not exceptionally difficult, but difficult enough I don’t want to do multiple resorts in the one day.

I should say though - sorry to hear about the dud day! :) let’s hope tomorrow is better

chairmanmeow

Hard Yards
Jul 24, 2019
got some mates heading to hakuba this weekend. with the forecast being warm weather and rain *shudder*, would the snow hold up okay? fingers crossed for the bases in particular as they're mostly newer skiers

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Very frustrating day today. Very good day yesterday (Saturday) at Nori. After last nights better than expected fall we headed back there this morning with the expectation that we could be in for an epic morning. Epic **** up is more like what we got. Firstly the Sunday traffic getting past Tsugaike was pretty awful. Then arrived at Nori to find only three chairs open that only access the lower slopes. Lots of fresh everywhere and no way to get to it. Back to Happo One to long lift queues and top to bottom mogul runs. Did it a couple of times but my very soon to be 55 year old knees are now screaming at me “why do you hate us so much”? So what we thought was going to be a special day turned into an exercise in frustration. Here’s to a better day tomorrow.

Never go to Happo on a weekend!
Always arrive at slopes at or before 8am on a weekend.
It WAS busy yesterday though!! (at Iwatake)

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
That's why I never go to Cortina on a powder day
Normally my plan too. In this instance we only wanted to access the back side. The actual run into Cortina was EPIC too though so worth it all in the end.

Re Nori. They have been dropping the ball a LOT this season. Have become way too unreliable. Didnt open key lifts at all yesterday (although understandable for #10 at a minimum) and were super late today. Day before yesterday way late too. Have written to them and got a phone call back to my wife. No changes planned :( Not sure what has changed out there but they have dropped the ball this year.

Now the GOOD news. Snowing heavily right now and tomorrow will be the 4th pow day in a row. If you are in town know that tomorrow is a public holiday so will be busy at most places. Go EARLY.

More GOOD news is Iwatake is finally top to bottom! 1/2 thinking that's where we will head tomorrow.

Reactions: Kimski and Spence

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Normally my plan too. In this instance we only wanted to access the back side. The actual run into Cortina was EPIC too though so worth it all in the end.

Re Nori. They have been dropping the ball a LOT this season. Have become way too unreliable. Didnt open key lifts at all yesterday (although understandable for #10 at a minimum) and were super late today. Day before yesterday way late too. Have written to them and got a phone call back to my wife. No changes planned :( Not sure what has changed out there but they have dropped the ball this year.

Now the GOOD news. Snowing heavily right now and tomorrow will be the 4th pow day in a row. If you are in town know that tomorrow is a public holiday so will be busy at most places. Go EARLY.

More GOOD news is Iwatake is finally top to bottom! 1/2 thinking that's where we will head.
Was at Iwatake yesterday. Just a thin lane all the way down. All the other runs at the bottom were not open.... they need another 50cm I reckon.

While you're at it with Norikura, can you ask them to not make the chairs so bloody low? Some are only 20cm off the ground loading and getting off..... bloody absurd!!

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
cheers Pete, that's reassuring
Its been pretty good most of the season for the new skiers etc. All our guests at that level have been happy. Suggest they avoid Happo as lower slopes barely open if at all and head to Sanosaka, bottom of Goryu, Iimori and Tsugaike as a start. Maybe even the top of Iwatake. If they need lessons we recommend Hakuba Snowsports and Hakuba Ski Concierge.

Reactions: chairmanmeow

chairmanmeow

Hard Yards
Jul 24, 2019
Its been pretty good most of the season for the new skiers etc. All our guests at that level have been happy. Suggest they avoid Happo as lower slopes barely open if at all and head to Sanosaka, bottom of Goryu, Iimori and Tsugaike as a start. Maybe even the top of Iwatake. If they need lessons we recommend Hakuba Snowsports and Hakuba Ski Concierge.
Yep, lessons with Hakuba Snowsports already booked. Was originally planning to check out Goryu/Iimori and Tsugaike mostly but Iimori is reporting 55cm cover so wasn't sure if that would hold up until Saturday. Will add Sanosaka to the list of options, thanks!

Reactions: Lucky Pete

Spence

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2019
Sydney
Nori again today. And despite getting there early we had to queue for 45 minutes for tickets. Only one window open. Small booth down the hill was closed. Most accessible stuff tracked out by the time we got up there. Managed a few slopes runs. Got a two day valley ticket so straight on the chair tomorrow .
And Sandy, right on re chair height. When you got to bend your knees past 90 degrees to get on and off. Stupid.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Nori again today. And despite getting there early we had to queue for 45 minutes for tickets. Only one window open. Small booth down the hill was closed. Most accessible stuff tracked out by the time we got up there. Managed a few slopes runs. Got a two day valley ticket so straight on the chair tomorrow .
And Sandy, right on re chair height. When you got to bend your knees past 90 degrees to get on and off. Stupid.
My wife can barely stand up on the chairs.

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
Bugger mate, not sure why things have slipped at Nori so bad this year, particularly when it was a public holiday they should have been ready.

Nori again today. And despite getting there early we had to queue for 45 minutes for tickets. .

You pay a little more for HV tickets but they are worth their weight in gold some days. :)

For a day in the sun tomorrow I think I will head down to Sanosaka, although most places should be good as its stayed cold. Hope you get some fun turns too.

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
Should have stayed there. No. 3 was open at Cortina and our crew were thigh deep in it with no one around.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass