1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Hakuba Accomodation

Discussion in 'Japan' started by willmcc, Sep 1, 2008.

1. willmcc

willmcc Hard Yards

I've searched a little to try and find info on a few places in Hakuba with little luck. A group of 7 of us are tossing up 10 nights at either Monkey Rider or The Lab. Both seem to be similar kinds of accom, but we were wondering on location in terms of proximity to lifts/shops/bars.

Any help at all about either would be muchly appreciated. [​IMG]

#1 willmcc, Sep 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. timmyhugecans

timmyhugecans One of Us

Monkey Rider is in Echo land about 10mins drive-bus to any resort. The lab is in Happo (from what i have gathered from the web page) is is walking distance from the lifts.

3. willmcc

willmcc Hard Yards

any other experiences? we just don't wanna get stuck somewhere with like a 30min walk to lifts. But then again, we don't want to be somewhere in the middle of nowhere with no night life as well [​IMG]

#3 willmcc, Sep 2, 2008
  4. Donza

Donza Pool Room

If you are in echoland you prob won't walk to the lifts @ happo. Plenty of buses to take you there or 47 or iwatake etc. More options for food, easier to get around via transport.
    If you stay in Happo there is nightlife(Though Hakuba would never be famous for its nightlife, its a sort of a lowkey place)at the pub etc, places to eat in Wadano and youre heaps closer to the lifts at happo.Though its harder to get to the other resorts.
    Personally i'd stay in Echoland. Use the genki bus and taxis at night to get around.

#4 Donza, Sep 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  5. creeds

creeds First Runs

The Lab home page claims it is 300m to Happo, which it may be in a straight line, but I would say close to double that to walk there.

6. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

I jog past the lab all the time its 300 meters to the road then 500 to the lift or there abouts. Wadano is the best option for close to the lifts but there just isnt much in the way of food.

7. willmcc

willmcc Hard Yards

sweet guys thanks heaps for all the advice. thinking Echoland will be the place to be just for the easier food and nightlife aspect. just got to lay down the cash and then wait for winter to roll around [​IMG]

#7 willmcc, Sep 2, 2008
  8. californiadream

californiadream First Runs

I'm looking into a ski club's deal for next Jan-March - $A1,975 incl taxes on jetstar from Melb to the Lab's owner's pensione, land transfers and guide included for 7 nights and 5 days of lifts. There's a behind the scene peek into business ops for business students at William Angliss included, and that'll apply to any kids thinking of a career in the snow. Any feedback on the Lab is much appreciated.

9. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

The lab hasnt even opened its doors yet. It is an old pension that was bought and no one has stayed there yet. The tour op is not highly re-gaurded in this town though.

10. HakubaBCbum

HakubaBCbum First Runs

Been a Lurker on these forums for a while but decided to post for the first time to clear up a few things.

Wadano is a short walk to the slopes but it is not inconvenient to get to other ski resorts as the other posters suggest. There are regular free shuttle buses from the Mominoki and the Tokyu Hotels (in Wadano) to Aokiko resorts, Goryu, Hakuba 47, Happo (if you're too lazy to walk), Iwatake, and Tsugaike. If you are in Echoland the only thing you are slightly closer to Hakuba 47 and Goryu and the Aokiko resorts and there is no free shuttle bus to Tsugaike from Echoland plus you can't walk to any of the resorts thus it is actually in my opinion less convenient than Wadano.

Also about restaurants: -

Heres a list of restaurants/bars in Wadano

Typhoon cafe - Thai + bar/club
    Chamonix - French
    Manyo - Japanese
    Hummingbird - Fusion
    Sari Sari - Western/asian fusion
    Serge's - New ownership next year so don't know what kind of food yet
    Hakuba 70 - soba
    Linea - European
    Shara - European
    The Pub - pub food + bar/club
    La Neige - French food
    Windy - Yakinikku (korean BBQ)
    There are also a bunch in hotels that non guests can still eat at that I haven't included and an award winning restaurant from Falls creek is opening next year

Also Happo is walking distance from the bottom of Wadano and theres tons of restaurants in Happo (oh ok heres a list)
    Uncle Stevens - Mexican
    Momo chans - Crepery
    Hakuba house - Tonkatsu
    Koiya - famous Eel speciality restuarant
    Harapeko - Korean BBQ
    Bangkok-ya - Thai
    Maeda - Soba & Tempura
    Takoyaki-goten - Takoyaki (octopus balls)
    Kihachi - Izakaya
    Ringo-ya - Soba
    and a bunch of bars and one club

So I guess you won't starve in Wadano! Just my two cents

11. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

Once in Wadano you are isolated in Wadano. Getting from Sakka to the mominoki is a 10 to 15 minute walk to reach the shuttle bus.
    further depending on where you stay. The road is a mess in the morning with chain less 2wd cars. Wadano puts you far from any other ski resort. Much the same as staying at Goryu does. It isolates you into one area of Hakuba in a corner.
    No convience stores. No where to get a 6 pack of beer for 1000 yen. etc

That said people that choose Wadano choose it for access to Happo and to walk to the lifts.

12. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Thats a crappy walk too...
    If you stay in Wadano do the buses from 47 bring you back all the way there??

#12 Donza, Sep 3, 2008
  13. HakubaBCbum

HakubaBCbum First Runs

The Sakka end of Wadano is definitely more isolated although there are still shuttles from that end to 47/Goryu and iwatake but lower Wadano (around the Tokyu Hotel, Mominoki) is really convenient. In fact the Tokyu and Mominoki hotel along with Alpico bus terminal in Happo are the three main shuttle bus hubs in the hakuba valley. Goryu is a "corner" for sure but to call Wadano a "corner" is a bit ridiculous! If you look at a map of Aokiko in the south to Cortina in the north its bang slap in the very centre!!

#13 HakubaBCbum, Sep 3, 2008
  14. HakubaBCbum

HakubaBCbum First Runs

The buses from 47 are the same ones that pass through Echoland and drop you off in Wadano 5 minutes after they leave Echoland.

Whats a crappy walk?

#14 HakubaBCbum, Sep 3, 2008
  15. creeds

creeds First Runs

Don't really think the people who can afford to stay in Wadano worry too much about paying a little extra for beers

#15 creeds, Sep 3, 2008
  16. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Oh Ok I thought the 47 buses just stopped at Happo.At the bottom of Nakiyama lifts.

Crappy walk...from Sakka to Mominoki.

#16 Donza, Sep 3, 2008
  17. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

Wadano as defined as mominoki and Tokyu is not really saying much. Lower Wadano, upper wadano oh, but if you stay in the center its the most convient? The bus routes are all different and the 47 and echoland buses arent on the same routes. If you stay outside of the Tokyu Mominoki triangle you are going to have a good walk to the shuttle in ski boots. If you stay in lower wadano you are going to walk up hill for 600 meters just to get to the shuttle. If you stay in upper Wadano you must walk down. I ski down that road and it can take 5+ minutes to ski down the road on foot that is far.

Aoikiko is in omachi and Cortina is in Otari. Anything outside the Hakuba area doesnt get a free shuttle. tsugaike may run one from the mominoki, of that I am not sure anymore. You arent going to get a free shuttle to Norikura or Cortina and the best way to get there is via the stations. If you want Cortina for first tracks then it is car taxi or early train to shuttle at otari station.

Wadano is not known for food and lacks quite a bit in that regaurd. most places arent easy to find or are small. There are many hubs of Hakuba but you are fooling yourself if you think Wadano is central and gives guests easy access.

18. HakubaBCbum

HakubaBCbum First Runs

There is a free bus to the Aokiko resorts. It leaves three times in the morning and returns three times in the afternoon to Wadano. It takes you to Sanosaka where you can buy a three mountain pass (for Sanosaka, Aokiko, Kashimayari)

The Alpen resort free bus to Tsugaike leaves twice a morning from Wadano and returns twice in the afternoon.

The Aokiko bus stops in Echoland on the way through but there is no way to get to Tsugaike from Echoland by free transport. Some of the shuttle buses from Wadano DO stop in Echoland. Others bypass it and go direct. Anyway, the simple fact is that you can get to more resorts from Wadano than from Echoland

Most places in lower Wadano are within 100 or 200m of the Tokyu Hotel - 600m away from the Tokyu is a major exaggeration and you are in Happo not Wadano (check on Yahoomaps if you don't believe me)

Most restaurants are small or hard to find!?!? - erm...no...grasping at straws there my friend.

I know you own a lodge in Echoland so you're obviously plugging that area over other areas but it doesn't mean you have to spread disinformation about other parts of Hakuba (I could be getting you wrong maybe you just don't know the area very well...).

#18 HakubaBCbum, Sep 4, 2008
  19. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Fattwins lodge is NOT in Echoland. It probably 200-300m away.

20. HakubaBCbum

HakubaBCbum First Runs

Ok he's close to Echoland then...

21. HakubaBCbum

HakubaBCbum First Runs

Just would like to see some impartial advice here on the forums is all...
    Echoland is a good place to stay but so is Wadano and Happo.

22. willmcc

willmcc Hard Yards

The Lab (from the maps that i've seen) appears to be way down on the Echoland edge of the Wadano/Happo area, so would this technically make it easy to get to both the lifts at Happo and the shops/bars at Echo. I'm trying to get some scale on how big "Hakuba", as a whole, is.

23. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Do you stay in jindy when you ski here?..
    Walking from the lab to happo would be like walking from the bowling club to the roundabout at the barry way.
    The problem with hakuba is the roads are spread out like veins on someones arm...random.

#23 Donza, Sep 4, 2008
  24. willmcc

willmcc Hard Yards

Sorry Donza never stayed in Jindy, have you got a general idea of the distance? This stuff seems pretty complicated [​IMG]

#24 willmcc, Sep 4, 2008
  25. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Hakuba is bigger than you think..well in compared to other resorts i've been too...its spread out in a valley.
    Though its not that hard to get around if you are talking about nighttime activitys.
    We used to share a taxi 500 yen each will get you a fair way..
    Also the genki go will take you nearly everywhere-for 200yen. Some resturants will pick you up and drop you off.

26. willmcc

willmcc Hard Yards

Yeah i'll think we'll just wrap it up at the Lab for the simple fact it is closer to the lifts. The situation with cabs and buses makes traveling around pretty easy. Do they both run late into the night?

And also are the supermarkets in Hakuba biggish and easy to get to, and cheap as well? Or do you reckon its just better to eat out?

27. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Yeah everywhere has its pros and cons...close to lifts, close to supermarkets, close to shuttle buses etc.

You have a 7/11 and a bottle shop pretty close by. There is a ATM in the 7/11 which gives good service.
    The main supermarkets are down town near maccas..
    Its worth a trip down there after skiing to grab somestuff.Then have dinner in town, then catch a taxi home with your groceries.i love japanese supermarkets..price wise pretty similar to home.
    I try to eat breakfast everday. Even if its toast. If its puking outside and freezing you'll want to stay in and make dinner.

#27 Donza, Sep 4, 2008
  28. creeds

creeds First Runs

There are 3 large supermarkets in Hakuba but you'll probable be using the Hapia (near the station) or Jusco (down Olympic road and to the left). Both are a good 20-30 minute walk from the Lab.
    As Donza says, there is a 24/7 seven eleven just around the corner from the Lab where you can stock up on munchies.

I wouldn't buy too much though as food stuff goes missing often, esp when drunkards get home from the bars. Also the Lab is offering a restaurant service, so I imagine they don't have a kitchen for guests to cook their own food.

Eating out is not too expensive either. The noodle shops are about AU$12 for a bowl. Other places are AU$20-30 for a decent size meal. Closest place to the Lab is Tomatio which is not too pricey. If you walk 10-15 minutes then you have a ton of places in either Happo or Echoland.

#28 creeds, Sep 4, 2008
  29. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

Wadano gets refered to very well on these forums but more for the ski in out access.
    Also because it has some great mid to high lodges, hotels etc.

30. jimmy01

jimmy01 Hard Yards

Hey guys, i'm planning to spend about two weeks in japan, and possibly one of those in hakuba (the other in tokyo). According to boardtheworld.com, The Lab or Snowbeds sounds like what i'm after, but i can't find any prices, nor can i find prices on lift tickets etc.
    Anyone know where i can find this info?

Ski hakuba is quoting $1185 for accomm and lift passes and a few other extras, does that sound reasonable?

Also would i need to prebook these places or can i just rock up?

Cheers [​IMG]

#30 jimmy01, Sep 9, 2008
  31. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Thats really dear..
    Work on this...
    accomo 50-60 bucks a night...Lift tix 35-45 a day. Times by 7 days = roughly 700 bucks.
    check snowjapan.com accomodation listings

#31 Donza, Sep 9, 2008
  32. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

The snowbeds owner is a bit laid up (no net) and getting full like everywhere. I would prebook and if you choose snowbeds call him. There is no information on the LAb as of yet because it hasnt opened. I would prebook though if you want a place that speaks English

33. jimmy01

jimmy01 Hard Yards

Rad thanks for the info guys.

34. jimmy01

jimmy01 Hard Yards

Just another quick question: i'm heading there mid to late feb, how far in advance would i need to book? and more importantly, what's the snow like at that time?

35. Whiteman

Whiteman A Local Ski Pass: Gold

It will be fantastic and I'd get booking right now or you might be disappointed!!

36. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

Depends on the type of place you want to book. Many places are getting busy now. It is mostly filling in the holes.

37. willmcc

willmcc Hard Yards

Pre-book for sure. Snowbeds is already booked out for our trip. Try Monkey Rider or Lodge Tabi-Tabi as well they looked very reasonable

38. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

when are you trying to come?

39. gad

gad First Runs

keep Alpine Chalets in mind too.
    My friend runs it and we stayed there last year.
    it is 5 min walk to 7 eleven with International ATM
    5 mins walk to echoland Restaurants
    10 min walk to big supermarket Jusco
    and 15 min walk to happo.
    But the good thing is all resort shuttles stop at their front door, so no need to walk or ski the same place everyday.
    Fully self contained too

40. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

Good luck I think those have been full for 2 monthes

41. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

G'day all,

I am looking to book in some Hakuba accomodation as well for February. I was just wondering if someone in the know could let me know the location K's House Hakuba Alps lodge in relation to Echoland/resorts/etc. Also if anyone has had any experience with this lodge, some impartial advice would be great.

Cheers.

42. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

A big hostel company in japan.
    No where near echoland- In goryu

I cant be impartial but that is a start

43. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Had some mates stay there and they liked it. Clean, cheap and cheerful.
    Though its nowhere near Echoland/Happo.
    They rode Goryu/47, Cortina and Yanaba due to the close proximty to the train. Though they used to train it in to Hakuba to go to jusco(the supermarket).

#43 Donza, Sep 16, 2008
  44. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Ok, thanks for the info, is hard with each hotel website saying their property is in the ideal location!!

45. timmyhugecans

timmyhugecans One of Us

Its a good little back packers, for the $, very clean and nice peeps, I have heard good reports from guest's that have stayed there.. about 800m walk to Goryu lifts. Quite a few bars and Rest within walking distance and not far from train station. Its about a $20 taxi to echo-land or town from there.

46. John Deere

John Deere First Runs

I have stayed in Happo twice, no problems eating locally, and 50m from lifts. Also got around on the shuttle bus (genki go) but that is pretty average. Went to Timmy's for a steak one night, thats way on the other side of Hak, around a 4000Y taxi fare, but between 4, not that bad. Well worth the effort for a cheap and yummy steak (for when you have had enough noodles!)....big steak is hard to come by in Hak otherwise.

47. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

You can also get a yummy steak at TJ's place, which is in Echoland.....

48. John Deere

John Deere First Runs

True....had one there too [​IMG] (yes I am a steak w.hore!)

My point is you can get around easy at night from anywhere to anywhere, but in the morning, nothing beats clipping in and sliding onto a lift.......only thing with that is you end up doing more days at the place your staying near....not necessarily a bad thing!

#48 John Deere, Sep 17, 2008
  49. Oscy

Oscy Hard Yards

Does anyone have any info, comment or remarks about Hotel Delaile? I believe it is in Wadano, but their website is all in Japanese so I can not seem to get too much info. As a point of reference, how long to walk to Mominoki hotel?

Cheers [​IMG]

#49 Oscy, Sep 18, 2008
  50. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

about a 10 minute walk down hill.