1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Hakuba -am I jumping at shadows -help wanted

Discussion in 'Japan' started by miro67, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

I'm eager to find candidates for success not failure you fool. I see in an industry in this country that's been in decline for years. I see year after year more and more resorts closing and going bankrupt. I'm interested to see if there are any beacons of hope out there. Are there any resorts with plans for the future other than just surviving? Why are you so eager to have a go at everything I ask on this forum? And because I live up here I should not take any interest in what's happening with the industry in other parts of the country?

2. damian

damian A Local

1. then you didn't need to qualify your repeated question with Japanese owned resorts, you could have just asked for any resorts and posed it in the context of "looking for candidates for success". As it was, you post smacked of ridicule.

2. I'll ask you not to insult me by sneeringly calling me a fool.

And with your last post you bumped the thread to the next page and unfortunately took the focus away from Sandy’s excellent map and request for comment.

Sandy, here is a link to a 1:25000 topo for the Hakuba 47 terrain.
    http://poachninja.com/image/view/1761/_original

I am not an expert, but I'd say there are opportunities to place lifts. It would take some expert piste management though.

#102 damian, Oct 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  3. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, there was a big song and dance when they cut some of the 98 downhill course through part of a QNP. The Olympics Committee were furious because the run was still too short
    http://www.nytimes.com/1997/10/31/sports...-earn-spot.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/winter_olympics_98/alpine_skiing/54085.stm

Been an interesting and emotional debate here, which I will not enter into. As far as my side of the mountain moving forward, if it is to at all, there's both good and bad points from the Niseko/Hakuba experiences to be heeded.

#103 M_G, Oct 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  4. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

Ok the only resorts in this country that I have seen any sort of development plans for the future are those that have been recently bought out by foreign companies. I've not seen any master plans including any development or expansion from any other resorts in this country, maybe you can point me to some? I don't care who owns a resort, I only care that the industry actually has some plans to prosper once again.
    In a meeting with Tokyu earlier this year they basically stated that they would not even consider investing in new lifts until skier numbers were back up to where they were during the bubble. They did not present any real plan though of how they intend to increase numbers to those levels again. It's a bit like a car manufacturer saying they'll never develop another new car until sales of the older model pick up without any marketing plan to make this happen. Ridiculous but that's the calibre of management we have running the resort up here. They need to go and I couldn't care less what nationality company buys them out I just want to see a resort manager that has a master plan for the future to create one of the world's great resorts.
    Wouldn't you like to see development of resorts down your way? Are there any resort managers down there with any plans to expand, open new areas, put in modern lifts, anything? (besides 47) And I'm not suggesting following what has happened in Niseko. What happened here happened because the resort owner didn't do a damned thing so foreign companies and investors picked up on all the opportunities.

5. M_G

GN, Damian, and any others. What about local politics? How do you deal with that? Here we have groups (from adjoining resort areas no less) who simply can't get on with each other. If they could bury the hatchet and start cooperating that would be a huge step forward in itself.

6. damian

damian A Local

I would guess culturally impossible. Without wanting to belittle the hopes and dreams of foreign residents, business operators and investors, I’d say the collective foreign buzz that is taking place would be little more than a tiny bit of grit in the long rocky road of Japanese community, business and economic complications. We are but a blink of the eye in the Japanese time frame. Like a passing storm that blew in from the coast. I’m all out of analogies.

Solution: Just roll with it and do what you can with the way things are. Don't step on any toes.

#106 damian, Oct 5, 2009
  7. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

Well the All Mountain Pass here was a great step forward when introduced. I believe they have a multi-resort pass in Myoko now, is that right?
    The local politics between the western companies in Hirafu is certainly interesting as I should know as I've now worked for 3 of the bigger companies in town over the years I've been here. My wife was even threatened with legal action for leaving one company to work at another! Of course they are in fairly fierce competition with each other so expecting them to all get along is a fairly big ask. There's no doubt though that more cooperation would be helpful. Everyone is definitely getting more and more frustrated with Tokyu basically doing nothing. They did start the Niseko Promotion Board which brings together representatives of companies from all the resorts and all these companies contribute significant amounts of money into the running of the board. Many though have questioned the value they are getting for that money.
    You may be aware that Moiwa has been trying to get included into the All Mountain Pass but I can't see that happening anytime soon. Would be great though if there was a lift linking Moiwa to Annupuri. Well great for businesses in Moiwa at least.
    I only wish that one company owned the whole resort. At least then there could be a unified approach to developing the area. As it is we have 4 different companies only really interested in their own area. 2 of those companies Tokyu and Chuo have no real plans to expand or put in new lifts and the other 2 have plans galore, we'll see if any come to fruition.

And Damian I don't think Myoko-guy was referring to foreign development or influence but the politics between the local operators there.

8. damian

damian A Local

That is what I took him to mean and addressed it.

#108 damian, Oct 5, 2009
  9. M_G

Unfortunately I'd have to agree Damian. It's some sort of bizarre wa they got going here that tends to dent the enthusiasm. My friend has a mantra 'YRSW' (you're right, so what?). You do just have to roll with what's served up.

At least we are progressing forward, even if only cm by cm. This season we have a Seki-Akakura shuttle running. Previously impossible I think because Akakura was in Myokokogenmachi and Seki was in Myokomura [​IMG] Yes GN, we also had starting last year the Big 4 season pass and the daily Mt Myoko Pass for the Big, er, 3...

I will go to bed now, sleep well, dream of a gondola that connects all resorts on a common pass, and wake up tomorrow all optimistic again [​IMG]

P.S. No worries fellers - taken in the spirit it was meant and appreciate the feedback.

#109 M_G, Oct 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  10. damian

damian A Local

What you do sometimes see is an individual community within the wider township taking it by the horns. Not cross-community action, just within a sub part. Hakuba has one (Wadano) that sets a good example for the wider community. It doesn't solve the problem raised by MG though.

11. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Hmmm.... nice map!!!

So it's looking a lot more like the "Huge development plans" for Hakuba 47 will just involve base infrastructure, unless they can find some reasonable places to put more lifts....

Perhaps the furthest left/bottom of the blue lifts I've placed? It would be far enough up the side to avoid avis from Happo, and it's on a flat spot according to the topo map.

#111 Sandy, Oct 5, 2009
  12. damian

damian A Local

> Perhaps the furthest left/bottom of the blue lifts I've placed? It would be far enough up the side to avoid avis from Happo, and it's on a flat spot according to the topo map.

It looks protected from Happo at a glance. But you have a lot of steep above on the 47 side - which could be expertly managed I guess. Well then, get to work! Do you want the email address of the guy that manages 47? [​IMG]

#112 damian, Oct 5, 2009
  13. robbied

robbied First Runs

Interesting discussion.

After all is said we're left with this:
    Japan has awesome snow and mountains. We are here because we love both those things. Thats what drives us.

It will be my first time to Japan this February.
    We are going to Hokkaido because we want to be shocked by the rediculous amount of powder.
    It's a trade-off because whilst the snow is rediculous the terrain in Hakuba looks more extreme.

I am considering doing the shred bum thing the season after in Hakuba (2010/2011).
    The easy and numerous BC oppurtunities appeal to me a lot.

Each zone has its pro's and con's. A keen skier/snowboarder will love either.
    Just a punters opinion....

14. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

47 gets crowded on some weekends the hotel is really there to try and boost the weekday sales.
    Its funny how in Canada ill line up for 10 minutes at a main lift and not complain. In Japan a 2 to 5 minute line up is bad? The resorts need people or they have to raise prices. Sun Alpina is a prime example of a good ski resort that more than likely wont make it to 2020 at the rate it is going.
    There are a few runs that you could cut off of 47 but they would have to be on the lower half of the mountain. The North sides are I believe National park land. The resort is private lease 99% sure. If 47 expands more they need an environmental assesment. If this was/were to go badly then the whole resort could be shut down.

Happo that lovely lift that couldve been great. The base was flattened for it as well and big dams protect it from avalanches. The courses to be cut down tough I think were way lower down branching from the around the gondola area base now. There are plans at the tourist center (ski jump) somewhere.

15. HakubaBCbum

HakubaBCbum First Runs

I've seen a map of the national park boundary (they're as rare as hens teeth but there's one in the village office in Hakuba and another in the hokkenjo in Omachi) I know the boundary follows the ridge over Tengu and over the top of ko-toomi and after that its hazy but it definitely cuts past the top of The Grat quad at Happo.

Therefore, I think the area that Sandy has shaded in pink is outside the park boundaries.

How about having a bunny run, running along the hillside near the bottom of the pink area, with just enough slope on it to bring you out at the 47 car park. Then you could open that whole side of the mountain without the use of lifts. You might lose a bit of potential vertical but the path would be high enough above the river to be away from big slides on the south side of Happo.

Theres also ample scope to run more trails down the front side of the mountain between Goryu and 47.

I guess it depends on who ones the land and who's gonna fund it....and also whether the powers that be can actually read a contour map...

16. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

There are huge rules about building new courses on land government or otherwise. The best time to build a ski resort was 20 or 30 years ago. Back then you could do whatever you wanted to do.

47 would have to undergo an environmental assessment to cut new terrain. If this went badly for them they would actually have to close. Their best option is to come up with a gate situation to allow more access.

17. Sandy

So it seems that the "Huge development plans" for 47 mean pretty much diddley-squat, so far as terrain goes?

18. HakubaBCbum

HakubaBCbum First Runs

Thats interesting about the difficulty of cutting new trails, but I find it hard to beleive that any environmental assesment would close an already existing ski resort. Is Hakuba 47 all on government leased land? If so I'm sure they have stipulations in the long term lease against such events.

They might have a battle on their hands if one or two runs that are on National Park land are deemed environmentally unsuitable, but the whole resort?!?!

#118 HakubaBCbum, Oct 6, 2009
  19. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I thought we in Australia only had these dramas....

47 is pretty new though isn't it?
    Like 15 years old?

20. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

I was told about the evironmental assesment issues when I asked about these kinds of things on a ride once with our friend from 47. Next time you have a chance ask and see what answer you get.

How many new courses has anyone seen built at an existing ski area in Japan? I have seen on at dynaland but... that had to close another course and remove a lift. There is a rule about percentage of land uses at ski resorts much the smae as our building codes. As an examlple

If you are lucky enough to fall into the pension areas you get a build code of 60% footing 200% build size. If you fall into the the housing area code you get a 40% footing and 60% build size. There are rules there and the resort cant start chopping up trees.

21. M_G

Madarao Kogen had two new courses open last year.

"For the 08/09 season there are two new courses to try out in Madarao Kogen. Specifically constructed more for advanced skiers and snowboarders, the 'Air Wave' and 'Usagi' (rabbit) courses are ungroomed courses. Air Wave boasts moguls, opportunities for 'air' and tree runs - a powder snow paradise. The Usagi is bit easier so more suited to those looking to try out ungroomed areas without getting into too much difficulty."

http://myokokogen.net/resorts/madarao_kogen.htm

#121 M_G, Oct 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  22. damian

damian A Local

#122 damian, Oct 6, 2009
  23. M_G

Moguls and air on the piste, powder snow in the trees...I think...

24. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Seen similar at a few other places. Certain runs or parts of runs are designated 'powder zones' or similar which essentially means they are ungroomed. So with fresh snow its powder, after a couple of days with no new snow its bumps.

25. smitty484

smitty484 Old n' Crusty

How far is Madarao from Akakura? The map seems to be in Japanese.

26. Cham

Cham One of Us

Gee wiz people....your all a bunch of stiffs. ;-) Having a p!@sing in the wind contest are we? What was the original question?? 13 pages later I'm not sure?

Last two winters in Japan at both Honshu & Hokkaido....North is definately colder, no questions asked.

Do both areas rock. For different reasons yes. In my opinion Hakuba would be a wet dream sitting in Hokkaido. Unfortunately I have had every intention in getting in the BC in Hakuba but events leading up to my trip have made it very unsafe to enter...unless your a guruswami local Mr FT who knows the terrain backwards.

If you have been to Niseko for the last two years...its time to try something different. Head to Honshu. Likewise if its the other way around. Both are awesome....especially if you know where to go.

27. M_G

As the crow flies not far Smitty. You can view Mt. Madarao from Mt. Myoko. This google map is probably better. Without a car it's a bit of a pain to travel between the two though.

Wait, just found this map page too

#127 M_G, Oct 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  28. smitty484

smitty484 Old n' Crusty

Cool, you are right though, without a car it could be difficult to get to. Will just have to spend more time scoping out Myoko [​IMG]

#128 smitty484, Oct 6, 2009
  29. sli1

sli1 One of Us

Its been a while Cham...... You going to Japan this winter ?

30. Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet One of Us

Hire a car somewhere in Honshu, you can chose to go to Hakuba if you wish.

31. Cham

Cham One of Us

At present unfortunately not......and its killing me. No where at this stage due to a few commitments but there may possibly be some last minute changes. You?

#131 Cham, Oct 7, 2009
  32. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

I will never admit to knowing everything but enough for me to enjoy what I do. The original question got taking over that is for sure. Considering that the thread creator cross posted this across multiple forums I think it was answered and the discussion has moved on.

Myoko adding a course is great but where is it on the map?
    Also didnt Akakan shut down the top lift this season and sell it?

33. M_G

This thread is rather like a long conversation that wanders and meanders along. Nothing wrong with that. I think the OP got the info the needed anyway.

FW the new courses are in Madarao - you can see them on the Japanese map here. There's a small English map here but a bit hard to see.

There are several lifts that never seem to be open in some of the Myoko resorts. Whether they are permanently closed I'm not quite sure. I'll have to ask around. The Tsubame Onsen lifts were all finally ripped out this summer. I saw them doing so when I was up there in August.

#133 M_G, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  34. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

Cool but it looks more like theey are just letting you into an old lift line and some trees. All great of course!!!! but if that is the case it isnt cutting trees to make a course.

Madarao does crazy uni trips if you want to meet a uni girl head to madarao boys!

35. damian

damian A Local

Do you think it was a bit of psyops anti-hakuba trolling in the end?

It backfired spectacularly if so.

#135 damian, Oct 7, 2009
  36. smitty484

smitty484 Old n' Crusty

I think people were just spooked about heading to Honshu after last season.

37. damian

damian A Local

Despite the fact that it rained more times in Niseko? [​IMG]

(I know, I know, Hokkaido is an altogether colder place than middle Honshu. Unquestionably so).

#137 damian, Oct 7, 2009
  38. M_G

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#138 M_G, Oct 7, 2009
  39. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

No psyops but a thread like this is going to bring everyone out.
    If you post it on 3 to 4 forums then???

40. damian

damian A Local

So 3 different forums. Was it from a person who just joined each time?

41. sli1

sli1 One of Us

I think it was a very fair question given the rain events of last year. I mean you guys keep talking about 20 rain events in Niseko but if you measured total mm of rain or hours of rain at Niseko vs Hakuba last year, I'm guessing the guys up north would be puffing the chest out further.

I'm not bringing this up to re raise the debate but given that plenty of people got wet in Hakuba last year (not to mention hot, +9C or more on two consecutive days in the village in late Jan from memory) it was a fair question.

42. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

Sure its a fair question and sure the weather was off the rockers last year. But that is the point it is one season, where the weather was pretty strange. With many of the answers coming from people who havent even been to the resorts they are talking about.

Would you call the weather in Aus now normal? or base an opinion about next years spring skiing on just this season?

43. Sandy

I spent about 12 days at Hakuba last season, and never got rained one even once!!!! [​IMG]

#143 Sandy, Oct 8, 2009
  44. smitty484

smitty484 Old n' Crusty

No of course not. However some people need to remember that a lot of punters are new to Japan and last season was their first experience. And let's face it, last year was pretty poor for a lot of lower Honshu, during the middle of winter. However, as has been explained this was quite out of the ordinary so let's just hope this season is off the planet and there are many happy faces. [​IMG]

#144 smitty484, Oct 8, 2009
  45. Cham

Cham One of Us

Well your just a lucky b@gger who can easily pick and choose when to slide. ;-) The most rain I scored was Nosawa..and it was pouring!! But that week it would have been raining mostly everywhere on the mainland for the exception of some higher elevation resorts. Lots of drinking that week [​IMG] ......and karaoke late at night. Never mix lots of drinks, karaoke bar, and a video camera between mates. It will always come back to haunt you.

#145 Cham, Oct 8, 2009
  46. Sandy

I book well before the season for Hakuba, as it's often more difficult to find places to to stay..... [​IMG]

Maybe I AM lucky, but take a hint and find out when I'll be there [​IMG]

#146 Sandy, Oct 8, 2009
  47. miro67

miro67 Hard Yards

Damian

My post was a genuine enquiry from someone who is now heading to Japan for our fourth season. It was posted on two forums, here and SkiJapan as they seemed the most knowledgable, and I wanted an answer.

Rather than anti Hakuba it was the exact opposite as afterall we are supporting the place by spending our own money going there on a holiday. You will note before you dragged this off topic that back on page 1 I posted my thanks to those (positive) contributions and the responses had confirmed Hakuba was a goer.

The fact that you, and others, have used my thread for your own personal war is not my problem. I would appreciate it if you could find a way to keep your opinions to the question asked and leave any disparagement of me way out of it.

48. Cham

Cham One of Us

My luck has not been too bad in Hakuba. Late Jan 2008 was a cracker...Late Jan 2009 was a little bit of a mixed bag but overall good. Got some cracking days in still. Only rained one night lightly and got pretty warm on another day. So cant complain.

49. Cham

Cham One of Us

miro....you will have a hoot. Will be good to do something different. Enjoy.

50. damian

damian A Local

Hey there, relax, I was one of the first people to offer an upfront answer to your question, plus empirical data to back it up.

There is not much of a personal war at all. Sorry I am others took it off topic. It is a fun game to play with people who every sentence consist of a noun, verb and Niseko.

I unreservedly apologise for any implied disparagement of your person. Please give me the benefit of the doubt as fattwins said the your same question was posted across "3 or 4 forums" which made it sound like more than an honest question. I'll take your word for it that it was only two forums and scale down FT’s exaggerations in the future.

And by the way, I don’t read SJ, at least not in a long time, but in this forum I am amazed by the knowledge of people on the various topics. I put that down to the fact that everyone here is a skier or snowboarder and very focus on that with a passion. Where as places like SJ are heavily populated with English teachers in Japan using it as a social forum. Many of them might ski one weekend a year and their knowledge on the topic is not as acute as you may think. In fact, I understand that the majority of informed posters there are also informed posters here. So that’s me offering one vote in favour of ski.com.au being a good source of knowledge over the more obvious sources.

Have a great time in Hakuba. And again I apologise for any implied disparagement of your person.

#150 damian, Oct 8, 2009