1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Hakuba but can't find reasonable accommodation price

Discussion in 'Japan' started by DustyPrints, Aug 30, 2019.

1. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

Hey!

Having a little trouble with finding accommodations at Hakuba for 1 person for a end Dec-Jan trip. I don't know any people to travel with so I'm often stuck paying the price of a room by myself. Additionally, many of the places I've been recommended by some ppl I know, seem to be fully booked at this time (eg snowbed B&B). Are there any decently priced accommodations to recommend for a solo traveller (roughly up to $100/d)? I've never stayed in a dorm before as I'm worried about queueing times for washrooms. Please tell me it's not that bad.

Ive never travelled to Hakuba before, so I just wanted to know as well, if the 2 bus stations with shuttles running to the mountains included in the Hakuba Valley pass, are the ones at Happo bus terminal and Hakuba Base Camp?

Also if anyone happens to be travelling there at that time, maybe we can meet up? Boarding alone is pretty boring... I'm at beginner-ish levels, confident on green runs, still practicing on blues.

2. chrisj

chrisj One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

It's not that bad.

Hyst likes this.
  3. TJ

TJ One of Us

That's 7200 yen at the moment so I don't know of any private rooms for that much. Dorm bed at Monkey Rider is $70. Never seen a lineup for the dunnies :)

4. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

Ah forgot to clarify, by $100/d I meant SGD$100 (Quite close to $AUD values regardless). I've been to Niseko, Japan previously and the places I've stayed at were the Hilton for $170/D and Snowdog Niseko for $295/D (wayyy too high for one person to bear). Not sure if Hakuba is just as pricey... I'm assuming a much more reasonable cost is $100/D

5. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

New Year - crazy Japan travel period so prices rocket. Try coming before or after that.

And if you can change dates I can get a private Japanese single room for 8,900 a night (but in Akakura Onsen, not Hakuba). But not over NY.

MisterMxyzptlk and skifree like this.
  6. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

I haven't booked anything so my dates are flexible but I'm just looking at Hakuba area. What's good at Akakura Onsen though? I haven't done any research on that place

7. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

8. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

For a beginner/intermediate you’ll be stoked at wherever. In fact, the less people the better. I’d widen your search and include Myoko/Akakura/madarao/shigakogen.

9. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

Thanks, I'll take a look at those areas when I have a bit more time. BTW I'm also looking at using Ta-Q-Bin to send my snowboard bag to whichever accommodation I end up picking but I'll be spending 1-2 days in Tokyo first. Is it advisable to send my luggage on arrival in Tokyo airport? Or only when I'm done with Tokyo sightseeing?

10. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

On arrival

11. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

Accoms should have no issue if the luggage arrives earlier than me? And regarding return to the airport, is there a local Ta-Q-Bin counter in Hakuba?

12. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Many people tell their hotel that they are sending, but I never bother, unless it's arriving more than 3-4 days before I get there. Hotels are used to this.
    The delivery usually takes two days, so you need to send direct from the airport.

You can usually send direct from your hotel.
    However, there's a Yamato Transport facility at Hakuba. (Takkyubin / Ta-Q-bin is the generic term for delivery service by a few different transport companies, including Yamato Transport, Sagawa, and Nippon Express)
    https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...c110c823350d93!8m2!3d36.6899002!4d137.8527234

LMB likes this.
  13. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

I see, thanks for the info! I had originally wanted to take the Nagano snow shuttle but it greatly limits my flight timings. To add to that, I think I want to visit the snow sports shops at Jimbocho. So I've decided to take the shinkansen instead and Ta-Q-Bin my luggage. :)

LMB likes this.
  14. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Be polite let your hotel know ahead of time that's what you will be doing and they will also be able to organise pick up and sending it back the other way.