hakuba + nozawa onsen

soclyo

One of Us
May 16, 2000
Melbourne
So we were originally thinking of going to salt lake next northern winter, but budget constraints have directed us back to japan again....yay! We went to niseko about 3 years ago and had a really good time, but want to try something different (we = myself and my boyfriend).

We are thinking of spending a couple of weeks split between hakuba and nozawa onsen. This brings us to a couple of questions...any recommendations in hakuba (pref. closest to happo) and nozawa onsen for good, inexpensive places to stay. We stayed at pension white bear at niseko and enjoyed that.

Secondly, when is the best time of the year to go?

Thirdly, how would we work transport between the 2 villages? Is there a bus, train or would we have to catch a cab??

soclyo

One of Us
May 16, 2000
Melbourne
Hey Sandy
smile.gif

We're probably looking at roughly 6,000 yen per night

Last edited by a moderator:

soclyo

One of Us
May 16, 2000
Melbourne
Ah that's per person sorry... the reason I say roughly is that if it's a really good place we might consider paying a little bit more, but at the same token if we can get somewhere good for less then even better!

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
You'll find heaps of info on both with a search. Generally Hakuba has plenty of accom choices, Nozawa a bit more limited. Asahiya at Nozawa is nice but a bit more pricey, some other mooshers are talking up another place that look's a bit better value.

Transport, bus is the easiest, they are both in opposite directions to Nagano, both at about an hour each way. So a two hour transit mid holiday. The bus schedules are on the net with a bit of searching.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Unlikely mate....

My main riding mate expecting his second soon so no backcountry buddy. Might go soft and go back to Niseko with +1. Risks a lot lower there and all that. Or might have a year off altogether and save, I've travelled 6 years in a row now, don't know how will go more than 6-7 months off the board though....

Or I was going to post that no way now that I've seen your wolly woofter ski boot thread on snow talk. Your as bad Mark, all joining the dark side and polluting snowbeds
wink.gif

Sorry about hijack.

Yes Hakuba / Nozawa is a rad combo. Recommend Nozawa second, lot more mellow than Hakuba and a good chance to relax and enjoy lots of onsens before heading home.

Last edited by a moderator:

the_guru

One of Us
May 30, 2002
On Location!
Has anyone skied there? It looks like an alright resort?
We are hoping to do the same. Maybe 2 weeks in Hakuba and one in say Nozawa Onsen. Or just 3-4 weeks in Hakuba. Planning on leaving around the 7th of Feb. After the Iron Maiden concert.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass