Hakuba thread 2013/14

Karbon

Hard Yards
May 5, 2010
Adelaide
1912042_584845401597123_1432295450_n.jpg
Kitaone (I think)

Good slope for beginners.....if they'd just get rid of those funny lumps. At my age they just get in the way!

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Heading over to Hakuba tomorrow for moguls event on the weekend. Anyone skiing Happo 47 should have a look. You get a great view of the course from the top gondola station. Say hi if you see us - my mogul skier is probably the only westerner competing.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Heading over to Hakuba tomorrow for moguls event on the weekend. Anyone skiing Happo 47 should have a look. You get a great view of the course from the top gondola station. Say hi if you see us - my mogul skier is probably the only westerner competing.
The girl that got 4th at the Olympics was from Hakuba.
pretty cool

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
She was very unlucky to get 4th and will probably be her last Olympics as she is probably the oldest competitor at that level. Won't be anyone in that league there this weekend but still some good skiners and good to watch. We are more likely to see her and Sho Endo at Perisher than this event.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

volcanic

Hard Yards
Jun 30, 2012
Finally back home in ohakune from 14 days in Hakuba, our first week we scored the worst snow in 10 years with rain to 1800m on all the resorts, the second week we scored the driest snow of the season and some excellent backcountry days . Best thing about the trip was the awesome people we met. Learnt a lot and enjoyed the food. Until next time!

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Iwatake was lots of fun today, even saw a Serow. Skied everything that was open, but some of the nicer looking bits were closed off due to avi risk. Since I can now cross Iwatake off the list, where should I head off to next to ski at Hakuba? Any suggestions welcomed.

Reactions: Bluebird

Bluebird

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 16, 2013
Melbourne
I like Tsugaike as the runs are a bit longer than Iwatake, but others may not agree. Plus it's a little more difficult to get to if you're using the buses (I was). If you're still getting a feel for things, 47/Goryu could be good too. Some good variety and you can ski them both on the same ticket.

Reactions: Yardsale

Yardsale

Part of the Furniture
May 22, 2001
Melbourne
You can get to Tsugaike on the Cortina bus, which leaves at 7:05 and 9:05 from the info center.
Well worth it. I think it is my favourite fanging location in the valley.

Reactions: Bluebird

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Mnnn, ok. The general consensus here is that Happo is very busy on weekends whereas Tsugaike is comparatively quieter. So next 2 days will be Happo, then Tsugaike. I've organized a lift down to the Happo information centre Saturday morning. I'm sure there is some wonderfully efficient and logical manner the buses around here are set up, but it escapes me. At very least they run frequently.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Mnnn, ok. The general consensus here is that Happo is very busy on weekends whereas Tsugaike is comparatively quieter. So next 2 days will be Happo, then Tsugaike. I've organized a lift down to the Happo information centre Saturday morning. I'm sure there is some wonderfully efficient and logical manner the buses around here are set up, but it escapes me. At very least they run frequently.

The Tsugaike gondola is busy on a weekend....... sometimes 100m long.
I'd be more inclined to go to Norikura on the bus(and get the Cortina/Norikura combined lift ticket), and catch the bus back from Cortina in the arvo.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
The Tsugaike gondola is busy on a weekend....... sometimes 100m long.
I'd be more inclined to go to Norikura on the bus(and get the Cortina/Norikura combined lift ticket), and catch the bus back from Cortina in the arvo.
Well, I've got 3 days left and 3 resorts I'd like to do (Happo-One, Tsugaike and Cortina/Norikura probably in that order). Tsugaike will be on day 4 of this trip, I don't mind waiting a bit in the queue as I suspect my legs will be fatigued and I'll need the break. All this skiing without any lift queues is a totally new experience for me.

Yardsale

Part of the Furniture
May 22, 2001
Melbourne
The Tsugaike gondy only gets used at the start of the day. It is a 20 minute trip up. Once you are up there you mainly use lifts to do runs.

Bluebird

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 16, 2013
Melbourne
I agree, you only use the gondola to get up the mountain - you can even get away with getting off at the mid-station and accessing everything else by chairlift. Unless you are an ABSOLUTE beginner, there's not much point with bothering with anything below the gondola mid-station, either.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Nice picture smitty. The thing that amazes me about this place is that the resorts go to about 1800m, then you have the actual mountain peaks which tower over the top of them. A couple of times I have gotten into trouble by daydreaming looking at the peaks, the views into the valley etc when I should have been looking where I was going.

FallsFreeRider

Hard Yards
Mar 27, 2003
Cortina I miss the old days and the patrol chase!

This!!!

My god the thirll of the chase was awesome back then. flying through the trees at warp speed with kamakazi patrollers barrelling down behind you.

I remember many moons ago at last lifts, there was about 10 patrollers riding the double to the top, we came out of the trees and undneath the lift. it was at a point that the lift was only about 3 meters from the snow. we all dropped massive turns as we past under the chair and the rooster tails were epic. you could hear the snow hitting their clothes and equipment above. They went nuts, and patol came from everwhere. We nearly got out of there too, but the flat down at the bottom was our undoing. we were done for the day anyways and the ashai never tasted so sweet. ah the good old days :cheers:

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
Nice picture smitty. The thing that amazes me about this place is that the resorts go to about 1800m, then you have the actual mountain peaks which tower over the top of them. A couple of times I have gotten into trouble by daydreaming looking at the peaks, the views into the valley etc when I should have been looking where I was going.

Nothing like soaking at Highlands after a days' riding and the peaks are shrouded in cloud and you're watching the punters on the piste and then all of a sudden the cloud clears and these massive peaks appear behind Happo/47.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Well I'm back from 5 days of skiing heaven at Hakuba. Skied 5 resorts in 5 days (Iwatake, Hakuba Goryu/Hakuba47, Happo - One, Tsugaike & Cortina). Some pikkies...
DSCF9639_zps3992bb53.jpg

DSCF9658_zpsadfcd130.jpg

DSCF9660_zps8becc97a.jpg

And yes, Sandy was right (as usual) about the ticket queue on Saturday...
DSCF9655_zps2d4fd9e0.jpg

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Here's a picture from the Shinkansen of the snow that caused the roads to be closed on the way in. There was a metre of snow dumped from just outside Tokyo all the way to Nagano :)
DSCF9628_zps1f117d51.jpg

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
what's the offpiste (in trees) policy at Tsugaike?
Depends ...
less strict than 47 but stricter than happo.
problem with tsugaike is two girls got killed in bounds by a avie set off above them.
They were on a closed cat track , but the terrain above them was unstable.

RayC

A Local
Jun 20, 2006
Brisbane
We are looking at having a day off the snow to visit Jigokudani Monkey Park. Liquid Japan have a day trip that will probably suit us but I am open to suggestions for alternative providers and I would welcome any general tips from those who have done this before.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass