1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Hakuba with a toddler

Discussion in 'Japan' started by StuW, Nov 7, 2015.

1. StuW

StuW Hard Yards

We are off to Hakuba for the last week of Feb with a 15 month old. Does anyone have advice on where to stay and childminding?
    We were planning Hakuba as it has a day care but just realised it only takes kids from 18 months. There are babysitting services but they look quite expensive.

2. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

3. BammBamm

BammBamm Hard Yards

We did Hakuba without ski in ski out but my partner spent most of the time with him. When she was on the snow we put him in evergreen day care.

4. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

We stayed at Hakuba a few times but never with children, so cant help you much there.
    There are a few hotels,shops etc within a short distance of the main gondola at Happo.
    We always stayed at a hotel 2 minutes walk from the Sakka area ski lifts, but it is a good walk to Happo and back into Hakuba , there is not much going on in the evenings around the Sakka area if you like to go out but really easy access to the ski lifts and the beginner area if one partner is new to the sport.
    We always went in early March and it was generally very quiet,

5. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

If you have not booked your accommodation at Hakuba contact Myoko Snowsports. They people associated with them who do child minding may take them that young.

6. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

We've booked to go to Naeba with our son who will be just under two. Have booked the Childcare at the Prince hotel.

How old is your child?

We went to Whistler last year and he was just under one. He was too young for daycare. We found a British backpacker who was doing a season and had a lot of babysitting experience. She came to our apartment every morning, wasn't too expensive and was super convenient. Not sure whether you could arrange this in hakuba.

I've been to hakuba before and probably wouldn't t choose to go there with kids because the resorts are quite spread out. Leaving the house with ski and kid gear will be a PITA. If you do go to hakuba best hire a car, trying to get around from to resort to Childcare to hotel will be a pain.

7. Budgiesmuggler

If you want info in Naeba Childcare let me know!

8. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

We did Hakuba in Misorano with a 4 year old last year. We stayed in a very nice pension run by a great Japanese couple.

At that age getting on and off buses was no big deal. She loved the whole experience. A younger child things would be different and you probably would want to be right near the slopes, or hire a nanny for much of the trip.

There's some on or near on snow accomodation at Goryu and of course at Happo ( is that Sakka area?).

When our child was younger we often skied Thredbo but just did the parental swap thing. It was just easier all around. Our lodge was close to the slopes so it was easy to do a midday changeover. We found that attempting to camp out at a base lodge was far too difficult.

9. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Hakuba would be one of the last places I would take a Toddler (15 months)... even with a car it would be hard...

10. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Imori between goyru and 47 has a great dsycare I've heard

11. Donza

Donza Pool Room

It does , also has a Mos Burger.

12. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I never noticed that! That's where my little one did her lessons (Hakuba Snowsports, who were very good). Do you know where they are in Imori?

13. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

In the building where the food is but out the back, pretty sure it wS new two years ago

14. Budgiesmuggler

Wife says Naeba only takes kids from 2 years old.

15. smackies

smackies A Local

What about with drop-off and pick-up by your accom?

16. Budgiesmuggler

Not easy. Get on bus with gear for you and wife, baby, baby carrier, baby bag, nappies, milk, food etc.

Go to childcare. Get off hotel bus while presumably everyone waits for you. Get on bus go skiing. Repeat on way home.

Childcare calls because baby is sick (happened to us in Canada). Ski down mountain. Wait half hour for bus to show up.

Doing anything with a baby takes ages, you want to be as close to ski in/out as possible.

Born2ski and WaitAwhile like this.
  17. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

At Hakuba, the drop off pick up I've used, if you wait a bit later, there's usually no others in the van(s).
    i.e. It's NOT a "hotel bus". Drop off pick up takes you where you want to go, and you nominate the times for drop off & pick up. You can call the hotel if there's a problem, and they will collect you asap.

However, ski in/ski out is your best option.

18. Donza

Donza Pool Room

My two cents .
    - Kids at 15 months still need a sleep (usually) and still use a pram a wee bit..
    So you need to stay super close to accommodation so if need be you can put them down for a sleep.
    -the creche areas in Japanese resorts are pretty good. With food heating options, change tables etc. You do see quite a few people with toddlers there.. Goryu is one of the best IMO

If you chose Hakuba, I would stay close to a ski hill, and have a car.

19. StuW

StuW Hard Yards

Thanks for the replies, the ski in ski out option at Naeba sounds best. Might do some more traditional japanese things in places that are slightly warmer than the ski resorts.
    @Budgiesmuggler are you sure the powderhounds website says they take them from 6months?

20. Budgiesmuggler

Stuw just sent you a PM with a bunch of info about Naeba

21. TJ

TJ One of Us

A few places will have in house babysitting at a reasonable cost. Go direct to the accommodation and inquire. We see a lot of guests bringing grandma. This works best especially if they don't ski :)

22. Snowmom

Snowmom First Runs

23. StuW

StuW Hard Yards

Ok so Prince Hotel Naeba is 2200 per hour for between 1-2. That being said it is on snow so you get the full time, thanks everyone for their responses. Now just have to work out what I want to bring and what to buy in Japan.

Budgiesmuggler likes this.