Half Price Flights.. or not

Rivetto

One of Us
Jun 26, 2014
Canberra
So.. after looking to book four return flights to Cairns in June, last week the best pricing was around $1,400 all up. While I was not expecting to find real 'half price' fares today I was somewhat pissed to find that today the best I could find for similar days/times was around the $1,250 mark.. woopee..
Anyone had any real success with half price fares or are the airlines just taking the piss?

malas1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 1, 2015
probably 1/2 of cost if you turn up at the desk and want to buy a ticket next flt

person s

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
spouse and I were looking at a four-day weekend trip to Uluru in June
flights ok, but not half price
accomm non-existent
next year, perhaps

Harper11

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Brisbane
So.. after looking to book four return flights to Cairns in June, last week the best pricing was around $1,400 all up. While I was not expecting to find real 'half price' fares today I was somewhat pissed to find that today the best I could find for similar days/times was around the $1,250 mark.. woopee..
Anyone had any real success with half price fares or are the airlines just taking the piss?
I haven’t looked but this was what I expected it to be

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
spouse and I were looking at a four-day weekend trip to Uluru in June
flights ok, but not half price
accomm non-existent
next year, perhaps
A friend has just had an Uluru trip cancelled. Apparently the accommodation providers can't get staff (usually backpackers) so are not taking bookings.

Townsend

One of Us
Mar 28, 2014
We managed to get two Qf return flights Syd-Cns in mid May for less than $500. We are very happy!

Reactions: piolet

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
I was awake at 12 midnight and the fares I wanted were $77. But I couldn’t book on mobile so did it in the morning... fares had risen to $150

So I bet those cheap fares were there just had to be up earlier.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
I was awake at 12 midnight and the fares I wanted were $77. But I couldn’t book on mobile so did it in the morning... fares had risen to $150

So I bet those cheap fares were there just had to be up earlier.
Ya my friends scored first up
Checked later and waaaaay up

Not a bad ploy, other friends booked maroochy at a song then dropped 12k on noosa accom and they'll burn more cash up there.

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
We've got 4 return tickets to Brisvegas in July. Just under 1K, so not the half price lot but I'm okay with it. I haven't managed to see any of those wicked fares at all.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
Maybe they could employ locals?
I am not an employment consultant in the red centre so how would I know.... There would have to be enough "locals" to do the shit jobs at crap wages that are associated with running a resort. I don't think Uluru is exactly a large population centre

cruisin along

Free at last
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2007
CC Terrigal area
https://au.jora.com/jobs-in-Uluru-Kata-Tjuta-National-Park-NT
https://www.voyages.com.au/careers/positions-available?jobID=769

Two sites for employment opportunities in Uluru which is no where near any town as it is it’s own town so you leave your home behind and live in the resort area........much like being employed on a cruise ship.

So would love to know what “locals” would be available to work within the positions currently advertised.
I will say when I visited and stayed there most employees were my mob who were happy to be training for a future in hospitality elsewhere on this planet. Some had also moved their families from other areas in Australia for that experience.
I am trying to be as polite as possible to address what I see from some in here as an underlying thread of racism that is still so evident even though folk would deny it.

buckwheat

One of Us
Jun 6, 2000
Sydney, NSW Australia
I checked flight prices to alice springs pre 1st april and it was $2400 return for our family. We looked online at about 7am on 1st april and it was actually $1200 return so we booked tickets. No accom yet but are hoping for a campervan. Not sure if original $2400 was typical pricing but the 50% seems to have worked for us.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass