1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Halleys ski hire or other recommendation

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Every2years, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Every2years

Every2years Hard Yards

We've previously hired the kids skis at a few different places (adults have their own). When we have stayed at Frueauf we have always used central snowsports and would definitely do so again. Last year we stayed at les chalets and decided to use homebase out of convenience but it is a bit of a nightmare.

We are staying at les chalets again this year from July 21 (last day of SA school holidays) and considering ski hire options. Halleys is convenient enough. Would it be a reasonable option instead of homebase?

Any advice appreciated.

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I haven't been in there in years but from what I hear it should be good for basic gear. I might look elsewhere for top of the line demos. I would expect service and overall experience to be better than Homebase. Central Snowsports are great but not very convenient for your location.

Another option could be to hire in Mt Beauty on your way up.

3. Every2years

Every2years Hard Yards

Thanks for the reply.

Hadn't really given much thouht to hiring in Mt Beauty could it could be a good option now the kids are a bit older and more experienced. We stop there to get brunch and alpine diesel every time on the way up anyway.

Do you have any good suggestions in beauty? Probably be keen for a place with an agreement on hill just in case there were any problems (we'l ski 7 or 8 days)

Chaeron likes this.
  4. Hully

Hully One of Us

Kiewa Valley Snowsports is my recommendation. A great fleet of superbly maintained rentals with a lot of it brand new each season. Service is very good. Tell them Pete sent you ;)

Pademelon, nezumi and currawong like this.
  5. currawong

agree. For the choice of better skis that is the place to go. better range of demos than anywhere on mountain IMHO.

Rocky Valley is good for basic gear

Hully and nezumi like this.
  6. Hully

Hully One of Us

Rocky Valley would also be my first choice if your wanting to include cross country or touring in the mix at the once place.

currawong likes this.
  7. currawong

most mt beauty ski hires have an agreement with a counterpart on mountain. I can't recall details sorry. I suggest that you ring a mt beauty place that you are considering and ask them. they are all pretty helpful

8. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Kiewa Valley Snowsports. Simon is a good man and runs one of the cleanest ski rental operations you will ever see. Great gear kept in impeccable condition. No better place to go.

Tell him Pete & David sent you. Ha ha @Hully

currawong and Hully like this.
  9. Every2years

Every2years Hard Yards

Just picked up the kids skis from Kiewa Valley Snowsports. Thanks for the recommendation. Kids skis look to be in great condition. Service was absolutely fantastic.

Owner showed us the tuning equipment out the back. Impressive setup and super clean workshop - clearly someone that takes care.

DPS Driver, Hully and Ziggy like this.
  10. Hully

Hully One of Us

Can't beat them for quality and service.....I would always recommend them.

11. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

Scott No Mates Ver 1.1 Addicted

We used to always pop in to KVS (in the days of Len, the previous owner) - regardless of whether I needed gear or chains.