Main Range Hannels Spur and Mt Kosi in autumn

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by Chaeron, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Inspired by the news on the Hannels Spur thread that a work party had recently cleared the top part of the spur I set out for the Main Range on Wednesday from Melbourne.

I set out from the Geehi Flats at 4pm, and walked along the 4WD track along the Geehi river and then set up the ridge - spending an entertaining couple of hours in the thick bush (some of it in the dark) without bisecting the track before bedding down for the night. An unseasonably balmy evening.

Navigating via GPS I finally bisected the Hannels Spur route marked by pink ribbon at about 800m - the route is relatively clearly marked and easily navigable for 90% of the way. I should have crossed the watercourse sooner - at the confluence of Bridge Creek and the Geehi - it would have saved me a lot of time.

From 1350m upwards the recently cleared track became a pleasure to navigate, and I was overjoyed to find the now easily accessed and clearly marked watering point above Moira Flat, and proceeded up to Byatt's Camp.

I camped next to Wilkinson Creek below Mueller's Pass between Abbot Peak and Mt Kosi at about 2000m and then walked out via Mt Kosi, the top of Thredbo to Dead Horse Gap where I collected my bike.

I managed to cycle about 15km, but after a flat tyre (and no repair kit/ spare tube - stupid!) walked the 5 km to Tom Groggin till a friendly Chinese engineer working for Snowy Hydro gave me a lift for the remaining 18km back to Geehi Flat.

The thunderstorms hit just as I was passing through Khancoban on my way back to the big smoke.

In all an awesome experience - though a quick attack with a day pack is infinitely preferable doing the 1800m ascent with a full overnight pack, especially when unfit.

It was lovely, but very windy up top - and a real shock to hit the metal walkway and hordes of day walkers between Thredbo and Mt Kosi.

I am in awe of those who've done it up in a day, especially prior to its upper section being cleared. A massive thank-you to the volunteer work party who did the clearing. Hannels Spur is an awesome challenge and a wonderful way to ascend the mainland's tallest mountain.

Geehi Flat, seen from the top of Hannels Spur

Broken rock below Abbot Peak on the southwestern slopes

Looking up towards Muellers Pass along Wilkinson Creek

Looking down Wilkinsons Creek

Looking towards Townsend and the Sentinel from the Kosi ridge.

Attached Files:

VSG, Bloke, chokenchickin and 22 others like this.
  2. zapruda

zapruda Hard Yards

Awesome effort, @Chaeron. Thanks for the report.

It’s a great feeling when you finally pop out above the trees before Byatts.

climberman and Chaeron like this.
  3. Kletterer

Kletterer Still looking for doughnuts
    Ski Pass - Gold

Nice work. Blade Ridge awaits you.

Chaeron likes this.
  4. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Thx @Kletterer - will start scoping now for a summer trip....

Kletterer likes this.
  5. Snowy Joey

Snowy Joey One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Great pics, well done.

Chaeron likes this.
  6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Hannel's Spur is going to be my next KNP trip in late Spring.

Chaeron likes this.
  7. NewTurns

NewTurns One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Great to see you did it. You can walk the talk!

8. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

A good time for it - I highly recommend carrying a PLB and a GPS along with a compass and 1:50 000 or 1:25 000 topo - the SV Kosi rec. map is quite good.

Besides carrying the paper copy in a waterproof cover I also bought the SV map on the Avenza App and used that to screenshot the route and email it to my partner - a full visual overview of a route is better than just an intentions form or notes - more comprehensive and useful to a potential search party.

You’ll need to carry about 3.5 litres of water - refill at Moira’s flat.

I suggest scoping the bottom 1km of the route in person prior to the attempt so you know exactly where it starts - if you can find the pink ribbons marking the route from the start you will have a far better time of it and can then be more sure you’ll be able to make your projected timeline. Otherwise you should be prepared to overnight in bush where you can’t set up a tent - a lightweight emergency bivvy bag is a must for a route of this nature.

If you’re doing it with an overnight pack watch the weight - given the steep slope and the thick bush you want to top out at 20% of bodyweight rather than the more regular 25%. At less than 20% you’ll have more maneuvrability.

A car shuffle between Geehi Flat and Dead Horse Gap would also make it more manageable.

9. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Thx - more like crawl the talk at times, given my lack of fitness!

zapruda and NewTurns like this.
  10. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-...via-blade-ridge-in-winter-documentary/8754688

Reckon I’ll make Fed Peak a summer trip and leave the Blade to the big boys! Though you never know, depends on the amount of ‘real’ climbing involved- beyond me I think, I top out at about a 14, and it’s a 17 by the looks of it.

Keen though to do Fed peak via the direct route if roped up - can definitely manage that!

https://www.thecrag.com/ascent/1685314011

Kletterer likes this.
  11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

I must do it with my usually ludicrously heavy pack. It is part of my idiom as Mr. Anti Ultra Light walker/ Crawler.When I hit 50 later next year I will recant/admit defeat and begin to invest in lighter gear for green season hiking.
    I have scoped out the start of the walk. It was apparent that you have to do a boots off crossing of Snakey Plains creek to get to Dr. Forbes' hut . That is where the sign indicating the start of the track is.

Chaeron likes this.
  12. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

How clear is the flat part of the initial track on river plain to the bottom of Spur proper.....

Can Snakey Plains ck be safely crossed mid winter....perhaps a foot bridge could be considered.:eek:folks might drown before they get to test their navigational aids!

13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Your feet would become too cold to walk after fording that creek in winter. Wetsuit booties would be necessary, that is , if the current was not too strong .

#13 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  14. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

I think in the good old days there was a suspension bridge there....

15. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

According to people on the Bushwalk forum - very clear.

Ubiquitous Steve and zapruda like this.