1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

hard blue/easy black runs @ buller

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by ben4386, Jul 4, 2007.

1. ben4386

ben4386 Hard Yards

hi after just boarding for 4 days at hotham i experienced that blue runs can vary quite significantly in steepness and difficulty. There are some which I can breeze down and others which take a little more care, and there are some black runs which are easier for me than blue runs. Im heading to buller in friday week and i was wondering if this is the same story at buller, and also if someone could tell me some good hard blue/ easy black runs to go down at buller

thanks in advance

ben

2. MISFIT

MISFIT First Runs

Yep they do vary.a good place to start would be zwiers zig zag off family run. [​IMG]

#2 MISFIT, Jul 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. Kahanamoku

Kahanamoku One of Us

As for Blacks, off the end of Wombat is quite easy (and punchy), also the south side of Summit lift onto Howqua is good because as you get confident you can edge across further south toward slalom gully and it gets gradually steeper. Mens DH is good just slow down a hundred metres or so before the end as it stops suddenly. and Yurredla is good if wanting to venture in to Federation territory but aren't too sure!

For Blues, you could try Boomerang/Chute (they steepen nicely toward the end) and the tree areas east of Boggy Creek T (if it's open)

4. ben4386

ben4386 Hard Yards

im looking at the trail map and reading your suggestions and around wombat looks real good as well as further up around the summit

ive got two further questions

1. Is federation like really steep exposed and can you follow it back to the base of wombat easily via that whiskey ck trail ?

2. what are the blue runs around horse hill and burnt hut like?

5. iSki

iSki First Runs

A challenging blue run that comes to mind at Buller is definately Dam run just to the right of burnt hut, goes forever and can get quite steep near the end, however it isn't open a lot and needs a fair bit of snow

6. Rednut

Rednut First Runs

Federation is steep and ungroomed... and the whiskey creek trail runs from LBS to federation not the other way round

#6 Rednut, Jul 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  7. Snowpuff

Snowpuff One of Us

Tied to the kitchen sink apparently, so the +1 say
    Funny you should say that, did zwiers on skis, very big mistake with a gimpy knee. My little puff kid did it on a board though and found it fun, he's looking forward to giving it another shot this year.. so my report from zwiers of 2005 is that it is uneven terrain, about 2 - 3 meters wide most of the time and keep your wits about you at certain points.

Other than that if you go to the top of summit board to the right of the lift on the peak side (easy black), but watch for the exposed rocks then drop down into howqua (easy black). [​IMG]

#7 Snowpuff, Jul 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013