Has anybody here skied NTN yet?

Telecrazy

First Runs
Feb 16, 2005
Melbourne
Hey Guys,

I'm due for new boots this yr and was wondering if anybody has skied NTN yet?

last year I skied Mantra's with HH's and my old trusty CX-P's . They are (obviously) noodles for boots and I was wanting an upgrade as they are on their last legs.

I'm looking at Crispi Evo's and NTN Bindings to go on my new Havoc's.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Alex.C

One of Us
Oct 14, 2003
Canmore
Maybe wait till they are a little more mature. Rode a lift with someone a few weeks back who had fallen back onto his alpine gear after his brand new NTN boots broke and had to sent back for warranty repair. Not the only case i've heard of.

Telecrazy

First Runs
Feb 16, 2005
Melbourne
Thanks Alex,

I know Scarpa has had a lot of problems with boots. I'm happy with my crispi's so i'm happy to stick with the brand. Not heard of any failures with them.

Anybody else?

tommyg

First Runs
May 20, 2007
Canberra
looseheels.blogspot.com
Yeah NTN is sweet.
Ive got the scarpa tx pros (2nd pair now) first ones broke but wont be going back. all the features are great. PLus they ski really well. I think the crispis are the go at the moment.

andyR

First Runs
Jan 17, 2007
Ballarat
Visit site
As you may know i love my Bishop Bombers - bro they are the du cks nuts. Any way I believe they are a huge improvement performance wise on your standard vanilla cable binding.

The NTN potentially represents a similar quantam leap - though I am intrigued as to if Bishop Bombers will introduce a step in feature in their 2010 line up. Back to the NTN ... I am interested in anything new and a huge effort has gone into NTN from all accounts. This alone makes it intriguing and worth trying out and no way I'd dis the product without trying it first. But it does represent a huge investment if one is to change both boots and bindings let alone find both products here in Aus to try out - unless you're headed OS in which case you'll have ample chances to tryout the gear in north America.

I'd wanna ski em first and I'd want to organise a comparison with my current boot/binding set up as the NTN combo so I could ski em same day same runs same conditions side by side. I would suggest any1 thinking of going the NTN route does the same.

It is a more significant investment than just changing boots and keeping the same bindings.

Goodonya for considering it and asking for advice bro but you'd be wise to tryemout first eh?

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Isn't that a bit dumb for them to retain a monopoly? It stops the bindings getting out there and attaining critical mass.

Think about computers. 20 years ago Mac didn't license their system but Microsoft / IBM did. Which became the industry standard and which one became a niche product.

Other forms of technology learnt this lesson, when two companies came out with high density DVD's, each tried to sign as many other manufacturers as they could.

The battle to become an "industry standard" product is not necessarily won by the best product, it is won by the developers of the product with the best marketing leading to the fastest market penetration.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
It'd probably be a patent issue, so only 1 NTN binding until the patent expires(to regain original R&D costs) then an explosion of differing me-too's, as has just happened with Dynafit bindings

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Telecrazy

First Runs
Feb 16, 2005
Melbourne
Thanks for the reply's guys.

Unfortunately i'm not in the position to demo as I can't go to the US/Canada this year. I'm planning on Japan for xmas 09 though. I don't believe anybody here in Vic will demo these at all for at least a couple of years.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but can't other binding manufacturers use the patent under license? Yes i'm sure rottefella would charge them an arm and a leg, but if somebody really wanted to do it, they could.

I considered using Bombers, but quite simply I cannot get them - just not available anywhere. Got friends in Telluride and whistler and they cannot find em anywhere.

I've PM'd a couple of guys on Telemarktips.com on what they recommend to do comparing it to my current set up and have had some good replys too, so I might just go with what they say and have a crack at it.

If I don't like there'll be some cheap boots and bindings for sale on this forum come late July!

andyR

First Runs
Jan 17, 2007
Ballarat
Visit site
Good luck with it all. I understand Bombers won't be available till 2010 when they hope to release their new model with new features (brakes? release??) which makes it hard for those who have been considering Bombers because as you found out, they can't be had for love nor money - though 2nd ski set ups still available for those of us who do have them. Still there are plenty of other good rigs out there (BD O1 & O2, HHs, etc). NTN is very interesting and somewhat beguiling in its claims. I myself am intrigued and would jump on them if they were demo'd esp at Hotham (!). If you do go down the NTN line, please consider posting your own review here once you have skied a solid season on them or at least 40 days or so to give you a good feel for them once you have them dialled in.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass