Have I missed any resorts???

Discussion in 'Europe' started by LDJ, Nov 2, 2018.

1. LDJ

LDJ Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

Normally skiing is easy when its me and my wife but I'm heading back to see mum (73 skier of blues some reds), dad (69 hardcore skier mainly on piste due to age) & bro (27 highly competent blue to black but likes doing large distances on reds ideally and not yet off-piste) in Jan 19. We will do a week skiing in Europe from 19th-26th Jan flying from UK likely with UK operator although we sometimes go solo. I have skied a lot and know lots of options l but I wanted to hook into members awesome knowledge and see if I have missed any resorts or there were recommended places I haven't thought of. When you see the restrictions it might be taxing there's a lot of different needs...I know you never get perfect but I can try.

Order of importance
    1. Good accommodation ski-in/ski-out or very close to this for mum as she won't ski as much and given her age needs to be close to accom
    2. Fast lift system that is well interlinked so plenty of options for brother to cruise vast areas (Looking min 200km of runs)
    3. Level of snow sureness as old people and ice are not good
    4. Nightlife not important, quieter resort is better, family probably won't leave chalet other than to ski or maybe stroll around at night
    5. Preference for France or Italy as mum speaks both fluently and loves chatting to locals but I reckon I could persuade her if everything else aligned
    The obvious options are below and the reason why I'm discounting. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Les Arcs/La Plagne - love it but been here a lot and would rather somewhere else
    Val D/Tignes - love it but been here a lot and would rather somewhere else
    St Anton - Probably too advanced for bro to get most out of and too lively
    3V - have skied here and dad/bro will be there in Dec so would rather somewhere else
    Serre Che - love it, used to work there. Wife will kill me if I go there without her
    Zermatt/Cervinia - expensive, slowish lift network that isn't easily navigated
    Chamonix - too disjoined, better for bro when he's more advanced
    Verbier - expensive, disjointed for great piste skiing, better when bro likes offpiste
    Ski Welt - too low
    dolomites - often lack of natural snow from what I hear
    Mongenevre/Claviere/Milky way resorts - Maybe but slow lifts and poorly connected

I'm thinking potentially

Alpe D'Huez - any thoughts or other options
    La Rosiere/La thuile - maybe too small/wind issues

Any others I have missed or should be looking at???

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

One comment about Val d'Isere - the runs down from Bellevarde and Solaise can be very icy in the afternoon. That, combined with crowds on the way home can be unpleasant. Tignes less so.

3. LDJ

LDJ Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

I concur mum did not enjoy that run down last run of the day. Icy and far too many people out of control. If we do go back to Val D/Tignes its definitely going to be based in Tignes.

4. Sbooker

Sbooker Hard Yards

Ischgl. Maybe a bit rowdy but covers other points. I'm sure you can avoid the party atmosphere.
    Lech. Covers all points.
    Serfaus. Covers most points.
    Obergurgl. Too small?

cin and Hermannator like this.
  5. LDJ

LDJ Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

Love your work. The first 3 all look like good options especially if we pick the right location away from the partying. Obergurgl might get vetoed on size.

6. Sbooker

Sbooker Hard Yards

There’s Solden up the road. Free ski bus I believe.

7. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Avoriaz - Huge Porties du Soliel region to explore - parts of it are a bit low though.

Leogang - quiet village but has access to the huge Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang_Fieberbrunn region.

Obertauern

LDJ likes this.
  8. Pink

Pink Addicted

Sounds like time to take mum to Italy.

9. Kletterer

Kletterer Urban Chicken
    Ski Pass - Gold

Serfaus/Fiss.A great well set out resort. Lots of modern lifts. Some of the reds are quite cruisy and plenty of black pistes that are very well groomed ( something that can be lacking in other resorts). Like Saalbach there are generaly easy options to descend from all the peaks so the lesser skilled dont get stranded.

LDJ likes this.
  10. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Second that. Close to 700km of trails and some pretty spectacular scenery. Stay in Morzine so you get a choice of Avoriaz/Chatel and the Swiss resorts, or Les Gets which is probably our favourite part of the PDS. There are free shuttles around the village and if you can contrive to be near a bus stop then it's a doddle to get around.

piolet and LDJ like this.
  11. LDJ

LDJ Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

I’m liking look of Serfaus, Lech & Ischgl as they are biggish and high. Portes du Soleil might be a last minute option if snow is good.

12. LDJ

LDJ Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

Really like the look of this resort any recommendation of best place to stay?

13. Kletterer

Kletterer Urban Chicken
    Ski Pass - Gold

Only ever stayed in Fiss on 3 occasions, Always at Herz Larain- 4 stars . They have a some good large appartments also- 30,50,60 and 80 square metres options. Owner is quite a character ( ex local racer) and loves a chat at his bar. Short walk up to the lift and you can ski back quite close to the Hotel afterwards-----

cin and LDJ like this.
  14. Mark*V

Mark*V Early Days
    Ski Pass - Silver

You could try the Kitzbuhel ski area and stay at Kirchberg or Jochberg which are a bit quieter, but still give you access to the Kitzbuhel ski area. They have ski in/out at both places

15. Kletterer

Kletterer Urban Chicken
    Ski Pass - Gold

One thing to take into account is if you have a group with varied skills, its nice to have the ( i will take the easy- mild - or steep way down option) workable. Ride the same lift , chat etc , descend, rejoin at lift base.

16. Kletterer

Kletterer Urban Chicken
    Ski Pass - Gold

Kitz skis far better than she looks from the valley actualy . Resterhohe and Pengelstein backside ftw .

Mark*V likes this.
  17. Boodwah

Boodwah One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Sainte Foy

Mark*V likes this.
  18. LDJ

LDJ Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

Kitz I like look of it’s just the altitude and lack of interlinked pistes which would be the of concern. Of the Austrian options Lech and Serfaus are seeming to hit all the key points at the moment

19. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

As @Sbooker suggests, Ischgl - also because the pistes are pretty much empty before 10am (due to party crowd being absent)

Otherwise, needs more Switzerland.. Suggestions from where I've been:
    • Flims/Laax/Falera (SUI)
    • Davos/Klosters
    Further suggestions (have not visited):

20. Piste Again

Ski Pass - Gold

Be aware that $witzerland is expensive. It can be considerably more expensive especially if you want to eat. France is quite a lot cheaper, Italy more so. I can't speak for Austria.

21. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Lech/zurs would definitely suit.
    Ischgul too

Davos/klosters as someone mentioned. Brilliant lovely town.

Megeve in France is massively underrated

22. Kletterer

Kletterer Urban Chicken
    Ski Pass - Gold

A regular at Saalbach that i got to know and ski with is a ski journalist who has skied all around the globe. His second favourite resort where he did some guiding is Arosa/ Lenzerheide. Never got there myself but it looks awesome. 2 hours drive from Zurich.

Hermannator likes this.
  23. Piste Again

Ski Pass - Gold

Lots of red runs on there :)

Kletterer likes this.
  24. Boodwah

Boodwah One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Nobody mentioned Courmeyer yet either

Kletterer likes this.
  25. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Does look good and just around the corner from Davos. Many goodies around Chur..

It also boasts this: