1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

heading up on the 5th of sept

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by phunkyjunky, Aug 31, 2008.

1. phunkyjunky

phunkyjunky First Runs

hi guys,

everyone has been pretty worried about the rain this weekend huh! well just wanna ask if anyone has any idea on how the snow will be like up at falls for the coming weekend (5th to 7th), gonna be headin up for one last charge before it all disappears

cheers [​IMG]

#1 phunkyjunky, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. Stratus

Stratus A Local

There will be enough snow.

If your going up anyway why worry about it?

3. phunkyjunky

phunkyjunky First Runs

well, if its going to turn out to be horrible, i mite just cancel it. well hopefully the worst is over for the rest of the week. looks like the rain did a fair bit of damage. hope that it would build up a lil through out the week.

4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

what damage?

the only major damage is the roads in the village, and they'll probably get patched enough to keep them skiable.

there is a shirtload of snow over the back, no way is the rain going to have ruined anything over there. Looking up international yesterday it looked like complete cover and that's before any grooming repair). Zipper had a bare batch in the middle as you go over the race line. The maze may have sustained more damage, but i'd be surprised if there is not still some good skiing in there at the right time of day.

it was -3 last night, so the slop has been transformed. you can expect spring skiing: firm early, softening through the day, especially on the north facing slopes. The forecast overnight minimums for Wed-Sun are all -4 to -6, so you might get a nice bit of fresh snowmaking as well.

It's not hard on this site (combined with weatherzone) to get an idea of likely snow conditions.. stop panicing, look at the available info and then get up there and enjoy it.

5. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Endless Winter Ski Pass: Gold

Plenty of snow for great spring skiing.

#5 Hunter, Sep 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  6. Benn0

Benn0 Old n' Crusty

Still looks pretty good to me, I'd be going up if I could.....

As long as the visibility stays good I think you'll have typical spring conditions:

http://www.snowatch.com.au/1-7day.php

#6 Benn0, Sep 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  7. Hully

Hully One of Us

Doomsayers and uniformed experts can easily turn people off what will be a great month of spring skiing. Had a person on a lift at Falls on Friday when we were enjoying some fabulous skiing in brilliant sunshine (and pretty mild temps) state to me that with the way the snow was melting it would all be gone in 2 weeks!!! And this was from a skier who would appear to be experienced. As I said to him, there is plenty of snow to see out the remainder of the 'official season' and those of us that go backcountry will be enjoying great turns well into the end of October.

I am looking forward to some fantastic spring skiing.

8. cej

cej Hard Yards

I was there this week up until Friday. There are a few places in the maze which have marginal cover such as some steep spots on lower Black and Blue; Chainsaw; and Zipper. However cover is still good to very good even on such runs as Last Tango and Final Muster. Grooming on some runs has hidden the rocks (such as International and the Knolls). A few other places have rocks showing such as the Ys and Milky Way. There is one SMALL bare patch where a stream runs over Ruined Castle way.

Off piste is still excellent away from the Summit and also down the small hill between Ruined Castle and Mt Mackay (I didn't go real far; but NOBODY else was doing those runs except for a couple of XC skiers).

Best day's skiing was on Tuesday when there were plenty of freshies to be found including on Village (!!), Wishing Well, Roller Coaster, and (amazingly at 1pm) South Face (!!!) and the hill beyond it.

[I would put this in the public snow reports but it won't let me log in there]