Heavenly or Park City

SEN123

Hard Yards
May 11, 2014
Ok I have booked flights to the USA for Jan to visit family on the east coast. Super excited We will spend 5-6 days on the way back skiing, last week of Jan. We have Epic passes, so considering Heavenly or Park City. Our flights home go San Fran - LA - Mel, which I booked thinking San Fran was close to Heavenly. But 4 hours is far longer than I expected. So now I am thinking perhaps I should ditch the San Fran leg of the trip and just got to Park City which has a 40 min transfer from the airport to the mountain.

But i don't really know much about either mountain. Can anyone offer some advice?

It will be me and my two boys, 8 and 11. I'm an intermediate skier and they are both advanced skiers.

I would like to take our skis, boots, clothes etc with us, but wary of the travel internally int he USA for luggage allowance and how to manage it if we hire a car to get between the airport and the mountains. So any thoughts on that would be appreciated too, including not bringing skis if people think it's too hard for 1 adult.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
How late can you decide? Wait and see which one gets better snow. Tahoe can get huge amounts of snow, or very little. Utah is more reliable but not immune to a stinker.

PC is only 40 minutes from SLC airport, it's super convenient. I wouldn't take skis given you're going to the East Coast as well. Definitely take boots though.

SEN123

Hard Yards
May 11, 2014
i have just discovered that Sundance Film Festival is on in Park City the week we want to ski there. SO my guess is that this will make it more crowded and more expensive. Is this thinking on track?

I also don't want to leave my booking till the last minute, so I would prefer to make my mind up now as to which mountain I am heading toward.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
i have just discovered that Sundance Film Festival is on in Park City the week we want to ski there. SO my guess is that this will make it more crowded and more expensive. Is this thinking on track?

I also don't want to leave my booking till the last minute, so I would prefer to make my mind up now as to which mountain I am heading toward.
Town is very busy and accommodation expensive during Sundance, but the skiing is great as everyone is doing movie stuff so the slopes are deserted.

But overall I think it would detract from the experience. When I lived in PC we used to go on road trips during Sundance.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Ok I have booked flights to the USA for Jan to visit family on the east coast. Super excited We will spend 5-6 days on the way back skiing, last week of Jan. We have Epic passes, so considering Heavenly or Park City. Our flights home go San Fran - LA - Mel, which I booked thinking San Fran was close to Heavenly. But 4 hours is far longer than I expected. So now I am thinking perhaps I should ditch the San Fran leg of the trip and just got to Park City which has a 40 min transfer from the airport to the mountain.

But i don't really know much about either mountain. Can anyone offer some advice?

It will be me and my two boys, 8 and 11. I'm an intermediate skier and they are both advanced skiers.

I would like to take our skis, boots, clothes etc with us, but wary of the travel internally int he USA for luggage allowance and how to manage it if we hire a car to get between the airport and the mountains. So any thoughts on that would be appreciated too, including not bringing skis if people think it's too hard for 1 adult.

When you talk about ditching the San Fran part, I assume you mean you'll change your air ticket rather than just not use the SF to LA leg. If you did the latter, your whole ticket would be cancelled.

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
Farken Sundance.

That was my least favourite week of the season. Would generally get the hell out of town if I could.

Traffic is obscene. Restaurants all close for private events. You'd have very few options for eating out.

If you stayed further out in Kimball Junction you'd be closer to the canyons which could mitigate these things but that isn't the optimum Park city experience either being away from the old town.

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
Tthere are shuttles from San Fran to Tahoe that will include ski & general luggage if you don’t want to drive. You can also fly to Reno, then a much shorter shuttle.

Once there, you don’t really need a car. There are good accommodation options and rates a stone’s throw from the Heavenly gondola. There is more information here in your other thread too

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/g...eavenly-or-somewhere-else.78577/#post-3326720

SEN123

Hard Yards
May 11, 2014
Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I will give Patk City a skip and head to Heavenly. Will look at a shuttle service and staying closer to the gondola and then bring our skis and gear with us.

Anyone recommendations for accomodation?

driz

Hard Yards
May 11, 2012
London
I was in Utah / SLC for about 10 days during Sundance this year, drove up to Canyons each day - hotel was near Sugarhouse. The traffic on the interstate up to PC was sometimes a bit of a pain, but it gave us a chance to drink our Bjorn's Brew drive-thru coffees. It was very cold with a lot of fresh snow so pretty awesome. Slopes were pretty quiet and no lift queues etc, although we went to Moab on the weekend. Made our way over to PC by ski for the sake of it, the town seemed 'OK' but nothing to write home about.

We drove to Tahoe and skied at Heavenly for a week following this, staying in South Lake Tahoe. It was OK, but the snow wasn't as good as PC - was more like European hardpack - and the mountain itself felt pretty small. We did a day at Kirkwood, which was OK, but it was a Sunday and ridiculously busy with big queues. It also felt pretty small, as the snow was a bit crap and not that nice off the groomed runs.

I wouldn't go back to Tahoe, but would to Utah.

For context, this is from the perspective of a 'British holiday skier' who is Australian but had only skied Europe until this trip and this Australian season, so with a pretty heavy groomed trail / piste experience previously. Going off these without shovel-probe-becaon was and still is pretty novel.

Reactions: Sean Sunley
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
over50skifitness.blogspot.com

As I understand it, the weight allowance is lower for the international flights than U.S. domestic flights. Even so, I wouldn't bother with bringing skis for yourself. For the boys, might be easier to bring their skis along to avoid having to get rentals sorted out.

Sundance really does make a difference in your case. Going to Tahoe will be more fun, even though you'll have to figure out how to get to S.F. from there. Should be a day bus to get up to north Tahoe to ski Northstar for a day for variety.

Will the boys ski without you at all? Heavenly is huge. A wrong turn can lead into a different state.

SEN123

Hard Yards
May 11, 2014
The boys and I ski together. I hold them back! But we will stick together until such time as we know where we are heading and the degree if difficulty of a run. If we separate at all, it is only for them to ski through more difficult terrain in the same run.

We have 2 x 23kg bags per person on the international flights. Internal flights not yet booked. I would need to add an extra $500 for ski hire if we don't bring the skis, which seems steep when we have the luggage allowance and our own gear. Just a question of how painful it will be to transport it. We are only making one stop on the east coast and wi be picked up by family with an SUV.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
The boys and I ski together. I hold them back! But we will stick together until such time as we know where we are heading and the degree if difficulty of a run. If we separate at all, it is only for them to ski through more difficult terrain in the same run.

We have 2 x 23kg bags per person on the international flights. Internal flights not yet booked. I would need to add an extra $500 for ski hire if we don't bring the skis, which seems steep when we have the luggage allowance and our own gear. Just a question of how painful it will be to transport it. We are only making one stop on the east coast and wi be picked up by family with an SUV.
See if you can do internal flights as add ons to your international. That means that the international allowance may carry through to the domestic legs. It has for me in the past, although rules are constantly changing.

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
over50skifitness.blogspot.com

Unless you fly Southwest, you will be paying fees for the ski bag(s) on U.S. domestic flights. Certainly fine to bring them. Assuming the boys are good about helping with luggage.

Another day trip to consider when staying near Heavenly is Kirkwood, which is also on the Epic Pass. Very different feel than Heavenly. More of a favorite for locals. I skied Kirkwood as an intermediate following a friend who was a bit better. I remember having a good time.

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Box Hill, VIC
One thing you need to remember when you have a lot of bags is some of them might not be on your flight. They get flown on the next flight and get delivered to you in the next few days. This happened to us on our way to Minneapolis. Always carry some spare underwear in your carry-on.

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
Stardust lodge at Tahoe, came highly recommended to us by several forumites.

Great location.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass