Heel wedges in boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by flippa, Apr 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. flippa

flippa Hard Yards

Does anyone else wear heel wedges in their boots?

I have pretty bad ankle mobility as well as being 6'7" tall. I wear wedges in my boots and I think it helps.

When I squat in the gym I can get ass to grass with a pretty big wedge.

Wondering if I should jack my boot wedges up even more or at some point will it not help or cause other problems?

2. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

I always stick a 6mm wedge in my boots. My dorsiflexion is rather awful and I can't bend my knees forward terribly far without my heels lifting. I'm always amazed at people who can collapse into a full squat with their heels still on the floor.

The wedge just opens up the ankle joint a little bit to allow for some forward motion before you're automatically 'in the back seat'. For the same reason I use boots that are quite stiff - takes a smaller range of motion to pressure the front of the skis appropriately.

I know wedges can get higher than 6mm but at some point you're going to be fitting your ankle into the wrong part of the boot, and pressing harder into the instep area of the boot.

flippa likes this.
  3. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

6mm is about the maximum for me because of the problem noted above but I need a bit of a heel lift in almost all boots, not in shoes for some reason

flippa likes this.
  4. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass: Gold

Like most boot adjustments, they’re a good option for the people who need them!

Chaeron and flippa like this.
  5. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum

I have them because I have a really low ankle bone and I need a lift to get my ankle into the right dimple in the boot.

I think you have to be very careful - I have a friend who used lifts to get him forward and he had endless back problems. He took the lifts out and the problems disappeared. A stance adjustment, even a tiny one, can have effects all the way up your skeleton.

Marty_McSly, piolet, Chaeron and 3 others like this.
  6. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them

I used them in my first set of ski boots. I was getting bad shin rub and the boot fitter suggested wedges which thankfully worked quite well. It's not an issue with my current boots with a fitted sole.

flippa likes this.
  7. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room

1000000000%

piolet and DPS Driver like this.
  8. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I would look at footbeds before wedges. Aligning your foot properly can give you better balance, a stronger stance and more mobility. Perhaps wedges are the way to go for you but talk to a good boot-fitter first.

Depends on your foot, position in your boot etc etc and as per Legs comment above.

Talk to a good boot-fitter before putting your wedges in.

9. chicski

chicski A Local

I had a wedge under one heel after breaking my leg with resulting Achilles tightness. Took it out after a couple of seasons, still less mobility in that ankle but it started to feel weird.