Trip Report Heinz in NZ 2022

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
So after missing the last 2 years and especially with the disappointment of the NZ border being slammed shut last year just a week before I was due to fly, this looks like it might actually happen this time. Still one day to go, so not quite a done deal yet.
But packing, NZ travel declaration and online check in all done.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Checkin and two security checks took a little longer than usual. Checking skis with kiosk system is always a bit of a circus but eventually all good. I did allow plenty of time. Now waiting on Auckland flight.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Auckland flight delayed by a half hour so connection to Wellington was potentially tight. Bags were offloaded super quick but then needed bus to domestic. But Wellington flight also delayed so no dramas. Passport control and customs an absolute breeze.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
So amazingly, two and a half years into this thing I have done my first ever Covid test. You get a RAT kit as you pass through customs. Then get an email from the Ministry of Health advising you to do a test on day 0 and 5. Do the test, record result in link in email. Relies on honour system. Initial test done - all good.

20220730_235420.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
So amazingly, two and a half years into this thing I have done my first ever Covid test. You get a RAT kit as you pass through customs. Then get an email from the Ministry of Health advising you to do a test on day 0 and 5. Do the test, record result in link in email. Relies on honour system. Initial test done - all good.

20220730_235420.jpg
Oh. You’re supposed to actually do the test? I thought it was just a quiz :out:

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Stopped raining this afternoon but the wind was still quite fresh especially anywhere near the harbour. Wandered back to the pub I am staying at and now having a Speights - should I be drinking that up here?

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
It is very well done. Goes through the whole timeline of that operation. The larger than life models amazing. But in the end you sadly reflect and wonder again what the point of it all was.
Yeah I've had a few friends that got there last year from Australia. During the bubble.

I think its done by WETA.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Te Papa in general is very well set up for kids with lots of little activities.

Wellington museum was also interesting obviously focused specifically on Wellington history and the harbour, but not a patch on Te Papa.

Reactions: Donza

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
A very early observation on mask usage here. It is mandated on flights and was in both museums with 100% compliance. In some of the shops staff all seem to be wearing them, though don't know if mandated. A few people wearing them outside on the street.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Wandered back to the pub I am staying at and now having a Speights - should I be drinking that up here?
Have since switched to a local Wellington Panhead Sandman pale ale which I am rather liking. Not a bad wee pub. Rooms aren't flash though but do the job.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Much nicer day today, sun shining. Was going to check out the cable car but it is closed from today for winter maintenance, so walked up. Some interesting walkways here. Nice view of the harbour.

20220801_101136.jpg
You'd be amazed where you can find a brown trout around the city
Can just about see my old digs in Ori Bay in that photo

Reactions: Donza

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Was a really nice day. Covered a bit of ground, downtown for breakfast, up to the cable car top station/museum, Botanic Park, then cross town and up to Matairangi (Mt Victoria) lookout, down to Oriental Bay and along the waterfront, back through Te Aro stopping for a coffee and back home.

The thing that is very apparent is that flat space here is at a premium. Lots of walkways up/down stairs. There are some spectacular located and I suspect somewhat precarious digs around.

Saw one very keen guy going for a swim, good luck to him.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Did you walk through the Basin Reserve? Home of test cricket in NZ!
No, but probably should have. I passed by a little to the north on the way to Matairangi. I recall the 73/74 Test there where Ian and Greg Chappell made a ton of runs between them.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using