20220802_101428.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Yeah it is pretty cool. I've been coming to NZ for over 40 years but this was my first time in Wellington. I think I'll be back again sometime.

Reminds me of an ex-mate ...... in 10 years plus of going to Tahoe, he had never taken time out to see SF, LA or the coast in between until I forced him (I had the keys to the hire car) to drive Highway 1 from SF to LA, staying in Monterey on the way down.

Reactions: chunky and whether
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Now in Christchurch and it occurs to me it will be first time since the earthquake. But I won't actually be seeing anything of it as I am continuing south early tomorrow on the bus.

• Sad
Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

N0frilz

Addicted
Jul 13, 2015
around
Now in Christchurch and it occurs to me it will be first time since the earthquake. But I won't actually be seeing anything of it as I am continuing south early tomorrow on the bus.
That’s a shame it’s very different now days.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
That’s a shame it’s very different now days.
Did see quite a bit of new development in the hotel vicinity which looks good but there is also a big hole in front of it so still a work in progress.

chunky

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Reminds me of an ex-mate ...... in 10 years plus of going to Tahoe, he had never taken time out to see SF, LA or the coast in between until I forced him (I had the keys to the hire car) to drive Highway 1 from SF to LA, staying in Monterey on the way down.
That is a gorgeous drive though I wonder just how long some of those houses will last right on some of those beach cliff faces when the San Andreas decides to rattle. I believe its predicted time has come and gone and it's overdue for a rumble.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
And finally arrived back in Wanaka. It is great to be back. Caught up with friends in the Water bar, other bars were packed with no chance of getting anything to eat. But as suggested in other threads Wanaka and Queenstown are on a different planet than the rest of NZ - not a mask in sight!

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Now in the bus stuck on the road up to Cardrona. Road is on hold with the new snow coming down.
Been here for the last hour. No idea how this is going to go.
Quite a few people have turned around and headed back down.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Got there eventually after a delay of a couple of hours. Had to wait for grader to come down and clear road. A bit of new snow on top of a crunchy base. Light a bit flat. Taking it slowly.

20220807_120920.jpg

20220807_122557.jpg

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Snow did build up somewhat through the day so skied reasonably well, but visibility wasn't great and probably worse in the afternoon so took fairly cautious approach.
Bus system was a bit of a circus. They all load up one after the other by the ticket office so it got a bit chaotic there.

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Snow did build up somewhat through the day so skied reasonably well, but visibility wasn't great and probably worse in the afternoon so took fairly cautious approach.
Bus system was a bit of a circus. They all load up one after the other by the ticket office so it got a bit chaotic there.
Looking forward to your ski reports :thumbs:

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
TC absolutely mental today. The busiest I have ever seen it. Saddle opened late, had a quick look but it was cold, windy and no vis at all so headed straight back to main basin.

• Wow
Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Reception up on the mountain not great so a little more here.
Today was way busier up at TC that I have ever seen. Huge number of cars down at the base of the road. Wasn't sure if we would get on the shuttle bus. Then up on the mountain cars parked on the side of the road probably 2 km down. Then the queues on the 6 seater chair were insane until around 1pm. Crazy.

Snow conditions in the main basin was really good as was visibility. Saddle opened around 1pm with warning that it was very cold and very limited visibility. Went for a look thinking it was probably a bad idea and this was soon confirmed on getting. One friend decided to give it a crack but rest of us opted to simply take High Street back to main basin where we could see again. A couple more runs and we were happy to line up for the downhill shuttle.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using