Heli Ski Uzbekistan/Kyrgyzstan

Discussion in 'Less Travelled' started by Timmossy, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Timmossy

Timmossy Active Member

Hi,

Wondering if any one here has skied at one of these countries and can recommend a heli-ski operator?

Getting way too prematurely excited!

Thanks

2. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Had vague ideas of doing so for a while, but feel I'm a bit past it these days.
    A few issues to consider :
    1. Altitude - you are skiing around 4000+ so you need to be prepared for that.
    2. Access - these places aren't all that easy/cheap to get to - I think you have to go roundabout via Russia.
    3. Visas - if it is anything Russia which is likely then it can be a painful process

I did ski in Kamchatka 10 years ago and I think these guys use the same type of Russian MI-8 helicopters which are pretty wild.

I skied with this guy in Kamchatka who is a UIAGM guide. He is German but has travelled extensively includingh Australia so his English is very good. http://www.flory-kern.de/heliskiing/heliskiing-in-kirgistan-tien-shan-gebirge

#2 Heinz, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  3. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

piolet likes this.
  4. Timmossy

Timmossy Active Member

Wicked! There's another place to consider!

Fortunately flights seem to be improving finally to Central Asia. China Southern now fly to Tashkent and have half decent connections, so do Korean Air however connections not so great.

You're right about the visas. Was in Uzbekistan few years back and it was a horror visa requiring sponsorship from a travel agent! Kyrgyzstan as of a few years back have seen the light and have blown off tourist visas altogether.

I'll be having a nice read of your trip over tomorrow's lunch break I think! Going 50% for the skiing, 50% for just a random holiday!

5. DomHK

DomHK Just Registered

Tim,

I am trying to put together a crew to go to Uzbekistan next Feb 2015.

Have been to Kamchatka before and also travelled all over Central Asia (Uzbek/Krygyz/Tajik/Kazakhstan) several times so know what to expect. The Uzbek Mi-8 helps actually seemed better maintained than those in Kamchatka and are the stronger MTB model.

Most of the group is Asia based as a lot of us lived in Japan where we got a taste for powder, so let's discuss plans and perhaps we can combine.

Dom

6. webberchoked

webberchoked Active Member

7. Fmr_Mr_Eski

Fmr_Mr_Eski Active Member

Seriously cool. Central asia is awesome, especially Kyrgyz and Tajik

Timmoosy, China Southern fly to most capitals. I have flown them from Bishkek to Uruqmi. The trouble is, they are a rip off unless bought in country from China Southern offices and they all depart from Uruqmi, you will need a Chinese transit visa, for the domestic sector between Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou or wherever and Uruqmi. The central asia flights also use China Southerns worst planes that seriously need a cabin refit. Compared to the great cabins you get on most China planes, this is a shock. A far better option is the Uzbekistan Airlines flight to Tashkent which can be booked on a Malaysian Airlines codeshare (and thus easy connection to Australia).

8. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I skied at one of the Uzbek resorts a few years ago, search for the trip report. I met a French bloke that runs a hell ski operation there. Terrain looks amazing. Not a lot of support if you get into trouble.

As above, easiest way in is Urumqi to Bishkek.

9. Budgiesmuggler

Season Pass Gold

I should also have said the guys in the Bishkek ski shop (there is only 1 decent shop) are super helpful and offered to take me out for a day. It's worth emailing to get the low down on good spots.

10. AdventureBus

AdventureBus Just Registered

11. AdventureBus

AdventureBus Just Registered

12. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

I flew into Tashkent from KL in 2012 . It was an Ozbekistan airlines.Malaysian airlines connection flight. Everyone on board applauded on touch down , once the plane had safely stopped. I took a domestic flight inside Ozbekistan from Urgench back to Tashkent in order to avoid an 12 hour share taxi ride across the desert.I would like to visit Tajikistan one day too but access is trickier than Ozbekistan is.

13. BillyKidd

BillyKidd Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Mister Tee clearly trusting the local airlines more than I would!

14. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Domestic flights in Iran and Pakistan are just as ' interesting'. Often the local carriers don't bother masking the Cyrillic lettering on the inside of the fuselage/s on the old 'fire sale ' Aeroflot aircraft that they use.It does make you wonder if your number is coming up sooner than later.

BillyKidd likes this.
  15. Zeroz

Zeroz Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Reminds me of this Vice article I read a few months ago about skiing Kyrgyzstan.
    https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/skiing-kyrgyzstans-vast-snowy-frontier

From this I learnt the Kyrgyz prefer games like wrestling and ulak—a polo-like game that uses a dead goat instead of a ball.
    And Kyrgyzstan has got huge skiing potential and is apparently similar to Colorado as far as mountains and snowpack goes.

16. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

I think they don't mind if the goat is alive or dead, as long as it is good looking!! :eek:LOL

17. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Trekking to Peak Lenin Base camp in Kyrgyzstan is on my list of things to do before I get too old and clapped out to hack it.So too is doing a trek and travelling along the Pamir highway in Tajikistan .

18. Budgiesmuggler

Season Pass Gold

I've done a bit of the pamir "highway" - it's awesome.

Best do it before the Chinese pave the whole thing

19. Budgiesmuggler

Season Pass Gold

I did a couple local flights. On one I had the Russian pilots wanting to drink vodka with me before the flight... I don't usually turn down a free drink but thought it best they be sober for the flight!

20. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

Not like those Canadian and Indonesian pilots!