Question Help, backpacks day packs and touring

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Bloke, May 6, 2014.

1. Bloke

Bloke Dedicated Member

At the moment for multi-day tours I lug a large pack to get to base camp and an additional daypack for doing day trips from the base camp.

But it seems like there must be a better/lighter way to do things. Maybe just use the large pack for the day trips as well? Or find a super light day pack (but not much out there that can carry skis and tools etc)?? Get a smaller bag I.e 55L or so?

Does anyone else find this an issue? How have you dealt with it?

2. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

I, too lug in a big pack on multi day trips but use a Marmot Kompressor pack http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-ultra-kompressor-backpack-1250cu-in for day trips (really good but won't carry skis)
    [​IMG]
    On o/n weekend trips I use my Granite Gear Alpine Vapor
    [​IMG]
    It's big enough for the camping stuff but compresses down small enough for day trips but still carries skis and other tools really well.
    If I was in the market again, I'd seriously look at the Cilo Gear ski packs
    http://www.cilogear.com/skiclcl.html

Bloke likes this.
  3. DJM

DJM Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I still use big pack, Macpac Ascent xpd or worse still the Torre. Smaller packs don't carry my gear as well, ski or board scenario.

My circumstance is a little different though as if I'm boarding, I'm usually carrying axe, crampons, and snowshoes along with the usual shit. That will change this season. Packin a splitty.

The ski scenario.....1 or two kites. I spend more time with a large pack on than not BC so it feels normal.
    I find cinching them down is ok for me, but have ridden with others that can't stand the extra swing weight when skiing.

Skiers also have a better range of ski carrying packs to choose from that actually work so I guess that's another reason I haven't changed.

4. Belly

Belly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Nah it's a problem, I'd just teather my Deuter Freeride to my now sold Osprey Crescent 75. For low key trips I'd make do with the pre attached 'solo' pack. For a splitty/ski's the 'solo' will carry poles, skins, and a water bottle and that's about it.

5. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter Dedicated Member

Personally, I think carrying a day pack in addition to the multi-day pack you are already carrying is just carrying dead weight for nothing, particularly if you have a tent, sleeping bag and mat. I'm gasping and wheezing carrying that + food + everything else :( without the luxury of an added daypack!

I just use the big pack for day tours from main base, but I guess it's a matter of finding a pack that you can use for both of course.

I usually want to take a reasonable amount of gear on any day forays from a camp/hut anyway, so suits me to have a larger pack.

This is a black diamond 60L+ (it might've been 70?) that I borrowed. With a big pack on days tours I either remove the lid (if that's possible) or stuff it inside the main pack (as in this photo).

My main beef with larger packs (i.e. 50L+ overnight) is there seem to be hardly any with an external shovel pocket. At that size, they're either camping backpacks or mountaineering packs (crampon stowage and ice axe friendly but no shovel pocket).
    [​IMG]

tbnext likes this.
  6. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

^^^ that lid tuck technique looks pretty good ew.

7. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Yeah I've done the same the last couple of years on Feathertop - just cinched down the big pack for day touring.

8. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

yeah me too, big pack made small....and im more likely to carry survival / benighted gear

9. Bloke

Bloke Dedicated Member

Those Cilo packs look awesome, thanks for putting up the link TW, reckon it could solve all my problems. I'm now looking at the 45L+ one very closely...;)

You guys don't seem to mind riding with a big bag too much then? Maybe its not as bad as I assume it would be. The day bag I use at the moment is an old kathmandu adventure racing jobby - weighs about 600 grams which is awesome but its a pita to carry skis with. Main bag is same as you DJM Ascent xpd.

Thanks for your input folks :cheers:

10. telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I cinch my big one. Also you can pad it out a bit, so in photos it looks like you are hucking with a full pack. Did I say that or just think it?

piolet and Bloke like this.
  11. MrWendel

MrWendel Active Member

I'm pretty interested in the cuben fibre packs, water proof and light. For example http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/packs/3400-series/3400-ice-pack.html. Just not sure on the harness.

I've been thinking for a while there must be a better way to attack shovel and probe to the outside of the pack. The odd shapes take up a fair bit of space inside and always results in a little snow entering pack after use. Thinking I might experiment with flatmates sewing machine, see if I can rig up some kinda attachment system. Anyone got any ideas where can you buy small amounts of back pack material and straps and buckles and so on.

12. ecowain

ecowain Dedicated Member

I have a 60L Cilogear worksack with an inflatable pad, that I use as a week-long (out of winter pack) pack.In the snow it is good for about 4 days if you pack tight. Weighs about 1200g. It compresses really well to a daypack for skiing or other day activities. My bigger pack is a Crux AK70, which is huge enough for 3 weeks, despite the stated size, but sucks as a daypack.

[​IMG]
    This is about half full, it compresses lots smaller, and also extends up above head to about 85L.

Also have some other Cilogears. Be warned though, their customer service sucks.
    If you're in the Blueys, welcome to have a look.
    cheers,
    owain.

13. ecowain

ecowain Dedicated Member

Summit gear in Katoomba will sell pack material, etc.

14. iGlenn

iGlenn Active Member

I use a Cactus Deepwinter which i think is a great mid-size pack with shovel holder, board/ski attachments etc.

ecowain likes this.
  15. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

SkiMountaineer likes this.
  16. Moondog55

Moondog55 Dedicated Member

I too have been using a smaller pack as my day pack but that's one more bit of gear to carry
    Lowe used to make a telecompressor stuff sack that was an easy convert to a day pack using the Lowe detachable hip-belt and shoulder straps. Using the big bag that a winter sleeping bag usually packs into as a day pack by sewing some shoulder straps onto it will work; it's lighter than a proper day pack but not as easy to wear or ski with if over loaded tho.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

Exped are now making some lightweight w/p overnight packs. Not optioned for alpine-specific use though.

I've been using my std pack for day trips from a base camp and that works OK. It's good to stay light though for tele turns and the old Fairydown canvas job is beefy. Acquired a Deuter 65+10 and that's required downsizing on tent and sleeping bag.

18. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

19. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Team Bears say we just need a design that has straps for chainsaw,axe.wedges etc...and a sytem for fastening the 2stroke/chain bar oil too...

but on a more serious tone...toboggans are great for hauling heavy shit around the place...

once we pulled a big bag of briquettes all the way from the barrier at Trapyard Gap up from Shannonvale all the way to Cope Saddle Hut on road...the last down hill bit near Mt Cope was a bit interesting as we rocketed down hills..
    we also had full ski gear and pack...

also Red Dog came along to increase Team Performance by barking at everything that moved...

our home made sled was a bit wrecked after this trip but it is possible to move extremely big loads this way...especially if little resort skidoos have been playing on tracks(packed down freeway )....

also towing sleds makes other skis move over in awe :eek::eek::eek::eek:should you take them out with the sled swaying this and that way as you tear arse down hills...:love::love:

20. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

some of the old ideas will drive you a long way so they say....
    [​IMG]

skifree likes this.
  21. Moondog55

Moondog55 Dedicated Member

Snow Shovels are actually pretty easy to carry if you don't mind drilling some holes in the blade
    A couple of big plastic toggles and bungy cord
    Tie the bungied toggles to the pack and then thread the toggles through the holes, a third bungy and toggle holds the handle

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  22. Rimey

Rimey Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

My 47 litre Alpine Threadworks Selkirk pack is the duck's. Took all my gear, tent, food,etc for a three dayer out of Hakuba a couple of years ago. Compresses to be a day pack too.
    It's back reo is a folded sheet of closed cell, which doubles as bum insulation when you're sitting. Or, if someone needs a splint, there it is. Pack only weighs 1 kg.
    For flight carry on, my laptop slides into it, my AT boots fit with room to spare.

http://www.alpinethreadworks.com/products/selkirk.html

#22 Rimey, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    Bloke likes this.
  23. Belly

Belly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Need gear = ask Rimey :)

24. DagdaMor

DagdaMor Active Member

I mostly use an older Lowe Alpine Mountain Attack Pro 45+10, looks like the design has changed a bit. A little big on day tours but a nice size for extended hut hopping trips e.g. 6-7 days on Canadian icefields, or shorter trips with tent depending on additional gear requirements. Next step up is a Macpac Ascent which is just so f'ing heavy compared to even the Lowe bag, several kilos blown before anything goes in it. Have avoided going bigger than that so far.

Both packs ski well loaded and unloaded, can be cinched down pretty well if not full (Ascent not so much.) Ascent when really loaded is not the most comfortable pack due to climbing style harness and my absence of body fat.

Like Rimey's pack the Lowe pack meets carry on dimension while carrying my ski boots + tablet etc. :thumbs: Does get the odd double take from the backage scanner people.

Second Moondog's thoughts re drilling holes if needed to make shovel fitting easier.