1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Help choosing destination

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Katherine1991, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Katherine1991

Katherine1991 First Runs

Hi All, First time poster :) My partner and I did our first Japan trip last year and fell in love! We want to go back for the upcoming ski season in Feb 2020. We have been so overwhelmed with all the amazing places to go to that I am struggling to pick where to go. This year we only did one ski resort (Nozawa) however this trip we would like to hit 2 new ones.
    We absolulty LOVED Nozawa and were thinking of doing another town like Nozawa that has a very traditional feel while still having lots of amazing runs (we are snowbaorders). The second place we were thinking maybe somewhere with slightly more nightlife.
    Ive looked into Hakuba (slightly put of as hear the runs are not great and its very touristy), Shjiga Kogen (heard lots of amazing runs and still quite traditional) and Akakura (hear good location but not as many good runs). Would be great to get some feedback.
    Thanks

2. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Hakuba sounds like your ideal place. Hakuba is not a single resort like Nozawa. Its a collection of a bunch of resorts. Spread over 20kms or so of Valley. The Hub and nightlife is located near the resort of Happo One (which some people think is "Hakuba"
    Myoko (Akakura) would also suit. Myoko is also a collection of resorts.

I think the feedback you've got back re the quality of the runs is incorrect.

IMO.If we're talking Groomed runs. Nozawa is one of the worst spots i've ridden in Japan.

3. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

And of course each person is different and likes different things, and they change their feeling dependent on conditions or skill level improvement also.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Happo (like Donzah, and we both board) however loved everywhere else in Hakuba. And I’d go back and give Happo another go - because of the reasons in my paragraph above.

Don’t write a place off on the negativity of one person.

Chowder11 likes this.
  4. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

And I loved Happo (skier)

5. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I loved Happo.
    Left the misses one arvo and did some exploring. Even though the snow was shit that day, I found some areas that in normal Japan conditions would be all time.
    I can understand how a boarder wouldn't be massively keen on Happo though.

For the Hakuba area, I think Iwatake is massively under-rated. And I wasn't much for Goryu/47. That being said I didn't register and do the trees due to bad conditions, would like to give that a go in decent snow.

Donzah likes this.
  6. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I LOVED Iwatake.
    Really enjoyed Goryu.
    Felt Cortina was over hyped, but had a great day there.

7. grantn

grantn Addicted

If you want a "traditional" feeling village you probably won't find anything quite like Nozawa, you may have to alter your expectations slightly. I'm terms of how old and traditional Nozawa is, with the village being at the base of the resort, there is no where else quite like that.

8. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Here's my 2 cents.

Hakuba has arguably the best terrain mix anywhere in Japan, its why the pros Japan segments are often filmed here. With 10 resorts there is somewhere for everyone. Not sure where you read the 'runs arent great' but I chose to live in Hakuba mainly because of the quality of the riding here and have had MANY epic days here. Great night life with excellent restaurant and bars etc. Its VERY popular with overseas visitors and Japanese for good reason hence the great nightlife. If no one was here you wouldnt have that. It doesnt have that Nozawa village feel except for maybe Happo area though. As Grantn mention Im not sure where else would be like Noz.

Shiga is great skiing but VERY limited night life. We had some excellent day trips over there this year and rode some great terrain but I wouldnt want to stay there if my goal was also going out.

Myoko appears to be improving, well Akakura anyway. Its kind of funny that many of the new crew over there are talking it up all the time then make statements that they dont want it to be like Hakuba yet thats exactly what they are doing being over there :) Not sure about the nightlife there as I dont go into Jacks etc but Taka's Skate Bar is my go to place over there.

Not sure how many nights you have as you mentioned 2 places. You could be in Hakuba for 10 days and be skiing somewhere different every day or perhaps start at Hakuba and then head to Myoko for a mix.

blowfin likes this.
  9. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Rusutsu .... modern traditions (theme park and highrise hotels) and excellent skiing.

If you have been to Nozawa then Rusutsu completes the "Japanese experience".

#9 dawooduck, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  10. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Yuzawa area is really worth checking out (mid week).
    https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7690.html

11. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

LOL Very true Pete - it's a paradox. The very people who say they don't want it to be like Hakuba actually make it more like Hakuba.

I haven't darkened the door of Jacks EVER, and probably 5 years since I went into Skate Bar. Now avoid it like the plague.

12. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Nic bummer to read Skate Bar has gone down hill, was my fav place there but its been a while since I have over nighted in Myoko.

13. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

They did their dash by asking me for 700 yen each for some tequila shots. I'd taken staff there - it was a birthday celebration for one. Gobsmacked I said, "You know me, right? I'm not a drunk bogan ready to be parted with his cash." He just shrugged his shoulders, so we did our shots, I paid and walked out. I've never been back and no stories I've heard since then have encouraged me to change my mind. I guess they've got a great little money spinner there though so me not going will not impact in any way. If I'm heading out now it's just to a couple of the quieter bars populated mostly by the locals. Sometimes I'll walk in late and there will be some of the local owners/staff chilling. Much more fun for me.

Lucky Pete likes this.
  14. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

After nearly 5 years of owning a bar this is my prefered option too although have built a private bar area/man cave at home this year for guests, friends and myself. No 700 yen shots there, just 2000 yen bottles of Patron :)

M_G likes this.