1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Help choosing Destinations

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Katherine1991, Jun 14, 2019 at 9:13 AM.

1. Katherine1991

Katherine1991 First Runs

Hi All, First time poster :) My partner and I did our first Japan trip last year and fell in love! We want to go back for the upcoming ski season in Feb 2020. We have been so overwhelmed with all the amazing places to go to that I am struggling to pick where to go. This year we only did one ski resort (Nozawa) however this trip we would like to hit 2 new ones.
    We absolulty LOVED Nozawa and were thinking of doing another town like Nozawa that has a very traditional feel while still having lots of amazing runs (we are snowbaorders). The second place we were thinking maybe somewhere with slightly more nightlife.
    Ive looked into Hakuba (slightly put of as hear the runs are not great and its very touristy), Shjiga Kogen (heard lots of amazing runs and still quite traditional) and Akakura (hear good location but not as many good runs). Would be great to get some feedback.
    Thanks

2. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Better off posting this in the Japan forums.
    Quick comments though:
    You are not going to find much in the of night life in a traditional Japanese resort.
    Zao is an onsen resort like Nozawa but is not particurly good for snowboarders.
    Shiga is a very large resort with a big variety of runs but basically no nightlife.
    From your short description Hakuba would suit best. I don't know where you heard that the runs are not great.

3. Katherine1991

Katherine1991 First Runs

Hi Thanks for your help. I posted in the Japan forum. Ill look more into Shiga and Hakuba I think. I have a friend that went to Haku but she much prefered Nozawa runs.

4. Taocognuebo98

Taocognuebo98 First Runs

Hi Heinz,
    You gave well descriptive information about the place. I'm only planning this year to go there. I will surely bare in mind this details.