Advice needed Help me keep my legs together

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Now that I've got your attention: This is in "Snow Talk". It's a serious topic.

@Telemark Phat is it common in Australia to use a rubber band around the knees to correct a student's chronically wide stance?

Any other suggestions for someone whose brain isn't particularly well wired for noticing and reacting to biofeedback?

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
LOL

Yes i have been told to use the physio bands for exactly that.

But also exercises of hill that helps build the muscles that keep you in that position.

My pyhsio calls them crab walks - but its not. its standing up, in skier stance and side stepping keeping then band in position

Reactions: Marty McSly

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth

@Telemark Phat is it common in Australia to use a rubber band around the knees to correct a student's chronically wide stance?

Any other suggestions for someone whose brain isn't particularly well wired for noticing and reacting to biofeedback?
The most effective remedy when I were a wee lad was an Austrian instructor shouting "keep zee knees togezzer"! Can't forget something like that.

chrisj

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Terrigal, Darkinjung country

I remember when I were a lad, this was considered really important. Allegedly, to qualify as an instructor in Austria, you had to be able to ski a black run holding a handkerchief between your knees. I thought it was less emphasised these days. You certainly see some stylish skiers who ski with their feet apart.

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
I remember when I were a lad, this was considered really important. Allegedly, to qualify as an instructor in Austria, you had to be able to ski a black run holding a handkerchief between your knees. I thought it was less emphasised these days. You certainly see some stylish skiers who ski with their feet apart.
It was a young Austrian instructor at Falls who wanted to put a rubber band around my knees.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
New school vs old schoolers?
What would I know, I have one leg that likes to head for the edge of the piste while the other one does all the work. Is it any wonder I prefer my legs splinted ?!

Reactions: nfip
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com

You might be built that way. As long as you’re standing on the middle of the outside ski, stance width is a personal thing.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
It was a young Austrian instructor at Falls who wanted to put a rubber band around my knees.
I can’t imagine that’s considered a remedy you’d do often.

Ive never encountered the issue but maybe you could get a cut down pool noodle and ski with that trapped between your thighs as a “go to” exercise?

I think the tip would be to practice in an exaggerated manner so in time you settle in a more moderate stance.

Are you balanced in your boots though? Is alignment/canting necessary?

Reactions: crackson

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
OK seriously.
I took this on board a few years back when I had a lesson ( 2/2).
" You ski well. Just ski. "

Bottom line = Just have fun.

Let them run and stick to the fundamentals from @CarveMan here ....

You might be built that way. As long as you’re standing on the middle of the outside ski, stance width is a personal thing.

P.S. Yeeeuw !

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
It hasn't been mentioned by any of the bootfitters I've seen. I pronate a bit, which moulded footbeds help.
Yeah as I think about it I do think maybe it is an aesthetic rather than functional thing for that instructor.

Having said that, I have done the pool pony exercise with a level 4 instructor. I can’t remember though what the ambition for the exercise was, but it wasn’t to address a cowboy stance. It was a clinic and all of us were doing it.

Reactions: NightSky

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
My stance tends to drift wider, until I'm A-framing and sometimes catching a stray edge. And being able to maintain a narrower stance over the course of a run will help in powder, when we can go there again.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
My stance tends to drift wider, until I'm A-framing and sometimes catching a stray edge. And being able to maintain a narrower stance over the course of a run will help in powder, when we can go there again.
Ok then might be worth checking your alignment/canting if you’re seriously knock-kneed and catching that edge. I’m built the same but stopped worrying about canting when I started skiing on wider skis

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
It hasn't been mentioned by any of the bootfitters I've seen. I pronate a bit, which moulded footbeds help.
Canting helped my daughter, but she lost the genetic lottery - she has my narrow ankle, broad (relatively) forefoot and low ankle bones combined with her mother's ridiculous pronation. Bootfitters gibber in fear when they see her feet.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

Stand on your outside ski and point it where you want to go. If you do that your stance will narrow.

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW

I obviously know little to nothing about skiing, but a lot about human physiology. It’s possible that you need more inner thigh strength. Suggest lying flat on your back with knees bent feet flat on the floor, with a piece of foam or rolled up towel between knees and doing bridges - not so high that you strain your back but engage your glutes and more importantly your inner thighs. Could be worth a try.

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
I obviously know little to nothing about skiing, but a lot about human physiology. It’s possible that you need more inner thigh strength. Suggest lying flat on your back with knees bent feet flat on the floor, with a piece of foam or rolled up towel between knees and doing bridges - not so high that you strain your back but engage your glutes and more importantly your inner thighs. Could be worth a try.
As luck would have it, I had a course of physio earlier this year for a knee injury. One of the exercises prescribed was a very similar bridge, which triggered hamstring cramps.

Another exercise was a leg curl, during which it became apparent to the physio that my calf muscles were doing the lifting, and my hamstrings were doing almost nothing.

So what you're saying makes a hell of a lot of sense.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
As luck would have it, I had a course of physio earlier this year for a knee injury. One of the exercises prescribed was a very similar bridge, which triggered hamstring cramps.

Another exercise was a leg curl, during which it became apparent to the physio that my calf muscles were doing the lifting, and my hamstrings were doing almost nothing.

Welcome to the weak hammies crew. Bridges (and single leg bridges etc) for lyfe.
You’ll automatically go back to relying on your calf muscles or quads when you’re not thinking about it - sadly regular hammie work is the only way to redress.

:emoji_dizzy_face:

Reactions: Marty McSly

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Narrow stance has it's time and place. Seen many people go down here when using it on boilerplate days.

Perfect groomers and powder are when it works well. Just a touch wider is much more stable on days when the compacted boilerplate base is exposed in random spots from traffic and sideslipping snowboarders.

Used to be overdone by posers, then everyone widened a touch for solid oz conditions.

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Narrow stance has it's time and place. Seen many people go down here when using it on boilerplate days.

Perfect groomers and powder are when it works well. Just a touch wider is much more stable on days when the compacted boilerplate base is exposed in random spots from traffic and sideslipping snowboarders.

Used to be overdone by posers, then everyone widened a touch for solid oz conditions.
Looking to expand my range rather than changing it.

chrisj

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Terrigal, Darkinjung country
I'll give it a try.
It was more of a question than a suggestion. I can do it when I happen to find myself on Friday Flat, but it involves regressing to how I learned to ski on straight cut 220cm planks - by sliding and rotating the skis around with no edges. It looks superficially impressive to beginners, but it's not the way to use modern skis.

Reactions: Spence and crackson

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Ok then might be worth checking your alignment/canting if you’re seriously knock-kneed and catching that edge. I’m built the same but stopped worrying about canting when I started skiing on wider skis
My knees are slightly splayed when I flex, rather than knock kneed. "Canting" settings on the boot ankles are odd. One is in, one is out. Time to have them looked at.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania

If you are cramping in your hammys when do hip lift / bridges etc, its possibly because you are not switching your glutes on first. It might be worth doing a private with a Clinical Pilates physio who can show you how to engage your glutes (and all the other muscles including your aductors which are responsible for pulling your thighs together).

It is very common for mature gents (and some ladies) to get tight in the lower back and hip flexors and weak/loose in the abs and glutes leading to a pelvis that is rotated forwards. This imbalance can lead to lower back issues and general instability.

I am hip flexor dominant and have had to train my glutes and abs to activate to support my spine/pelvis and to switch my hammies off when they are not supposed to be working.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Isn't there a drill where you hold your pole out to scrape the snow on the outside of the turn? Meant to help with outside pressure but its nearly physically impossible to do when a framing.

Reactions: nfip

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Anyway, what's all this stuff about keeping your legs together? I've been told for the last 20 years to keep my skis (and, obvs, legs) further apart! Do I have to change everything again?
I thought as long as you are more or less within the line of your shoulders you can do whatever is comfortable in terms of width.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
One of the exercises prescribed was a very similar bridge, which triggered hamstring cramps.
Weak hamstrings

My phsyio had me doing the same thing. Apparently I had weak calves too. I was a little offended as I pride myself of my massive calves and I can also squat double my body weight so it hurt when she said I was weak.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Here's a demo from one of Thredbo's better skiers as to stance width for firm conditions. Note how he isn't using the euro wanker boots touching stance.

I must have looked like that, only tele, that one time I got first chair, and first down. Felt like it anyway!

I know its only because none of the regular guns were about for some weird reason.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass