1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Helping Mountain Businesses

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Cam Walker, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Cam Walker

Cam Walker Addicted

hi all

we all know how devastating the fires have been in the mountains. And of course that's having huge impact on local economies.

Lots of towns have been closed or had huge drop offs in tourist visitation over summer.

Now that life is getting back to normal, we should be getting up to the hills as much as we can and spending up as big as we can.

You're probably aware of the #ShakeHandsWithTheSnowies campaign - aiming to get people back in to the Snowy Mountains.

There are various hashtags you can use to find high country businesses - eg #holidayhere #spendwiththem #buyfromthebush #emptyesky

And this is a great resource: Shop 2 Support bushfire communities > https://www.facebook.com/groups/S2SBFC/

Details on how to support local breweries: https://www.brewsnews.com.au/2020/01/15/support-local-breweries-urge-as-bushfire-closures-continue/

Then there are the mountain gear stores, who no doubt have been having a terrible time. If you need some gear please consider giving them a call. These are the ones that come to mind for me:

Wilderness Sports, Jindabyne https://www.wildernesssports.com.au

Everest Sports, Bright https://www.everestsports.com.au/

Tom's Outdoors, Tumut > https://www.tomsoutdoors.com.au

Rocky Valley Sports, Mt Beauty > https://www.rockyvalley.com.au/contact.html

Please add comments below for other businesses that I have forgotten to include!

2. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I think all mountain businesses have suffered this summer due to the fires, even those nowhere near the fires. My business for instance is only 40% of what's normal. All other local businesses complaining too. People stayed away from rural areas in general over January I think.

currawong and Chaeron like this.
  3. Cam Walker

Cam Walker Addicted

4. teckel

ROFL
    How have tourism businesses gone in Castlemaine this summer? (me being an old Castlemaniac - but when I lived there, the arty farties hadn't yet 'discovered' it, and it wasn't a tourist destination, it was more an industrial town)

5. Cam Walker

Cam Walker Addicted

We haven't had bad fires (some nasty ones west of here but not in town) so business is pretty good for most people as I understand it.

6. teckel

We haven't had any fires at all, either. The tourists have stayed away in droves, regardless.

7. Cam Walker

Cam Walker Addicted

Sorry to hear.

8. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

Grab some goat cheese from tolpuddle goat cheese. I have nothing to gain here, they just make great goat cheese. Family farm, with 2 kids and 50 plus goats just off great alpine road between wang and myrtleford.

Anything goat-edible (which is basically anything green) would help them too. They're not exactly flush with feed for the girls.

https://www.tolpuddle.com.au/

9. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Just got to Buller, CG is planning to go to the Mansfield farmer’s market tomorrow morning and picking me up on the bike at Mirimbah on the way back up, then there’s an Aus Day event down there on Sunday too. Will try to grab as many coffees/meals etc from as many local businesses as we can.

10. teckel

Yay!!! This weekend is happening, at least up this way! Finally! :) :woohoo:
    Hope other areas are doing well too!

Edit: Going nuts here! :)

#10 teckel, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  11. Cam Walker

Cam Walker Addicted

Thats awesome. Hope it keeps going.

teckel likes this.
  12. Franky19

Franky19 Hard Yards

Support the Mansfield Hotel. They have done it really tough during the summer and part of the big tree in the beer garden fell in the recent storm last week and damaged the buildings. Poor guys can't win at the moment.

Cam Walker, Tanuki and CarveMan like this.
  13. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Yep we had lunch there on Sunday. The new owners are actually very good friends of ours.

Tanuki likes this.
  14. Tanuki

Tanuki Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I can't find the link but apparently there is a market in Port Melbourne this weekend that is all high country stalls.

15. Cam Walker

Cam Walker Addicted

16. NeoSamurai

NeoSamurai One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

If I retrace my steps I can probably find it.
    Yeah but don't forget the much smaller towns. We're going to the Cudgewa pub this friday night and nearby Corryong on the weekend. (Note: Most of the small town of Cudgewa was burnt to the ground a month ago)

teckel and Chaeron like this.
  17. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Toured Old Adaminaby, Anglers Reach and Providence Portal over the long weekend, the respective parks were very very quiet. We spent a bit in Adaminaby and the locals were enjoying the bowling club on Australia Day. I think Adaminaby is doing ok but the satellite tourist areas not so. Hopefully they can make a few $ through the spawn season.

18. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, I was up at Thredbo, it was much quieter than usual, also in Jindabyne. My SIL drove from Wollongong to Candelo, and it was dead past Batemans Bay.

Trade in Canberra is really bad too. Too hot and smoky to do anything, I think people are on the couch.

currawong and climberman like this.
  19. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

Warm day needs a chilled beverage.

Their beer isn’t cheap, but I like it. Mark is a nice guy and there’s nothing like post holing that little shortcut from the ski slope to the front door and having a winter frothy.

Cam Walker likes this.
  20. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

21. kirktab

kirktab Hard Yards

The world famous Easter ski sale happens at Rays Ski Shop in Myrtleford, runs for 10 days starting Good Friday. Myrtleford has been definitely slowed down by our large local fires, so git on up there & indulge your passion for buying snow gear!!

skifree likes this.