1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Hi Speed Chairlifts

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by AussieLegend, Jun 23, 2014.

1. AussieLegend

AussieLegend First Runs

Which chairlifts are the High Speed chairlifts in Perisher (Besides the V8)? Also, why dont they replace the Happy Valley T-bar (horrific lines!) and Pretty Valley Double (soo slow)

Which chairlift will be the next one they replace/ rebuild a new one?

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

better a slow chair than over-crowded slopes ;)

3. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

That mongrel Gully Chair at Falls Curra?

4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Gully is free for foot traffic and that's why they run it at that speed. If I'm using it to ski inter I just suck it up.

Drovers in a headwind OTOH :mad:

5. SnowAndrew

SnowAndrew One of Us

Other high speed lifts would have to include Perisher Express Quad and I suspect the Pleasant Valley Quad

6. notty

notty Addicted

in Perisher it is; Quad express, V8, Pleasant Valley quad

7. MarkGC

MarkGC One of Youse Ski Pass: Gold

Detachables are usually considered high speed, which is the V8, Pleasant Valley and the Quad. All other chair lifts at Perisher are fixed grip.

Strangely the lifting capacity of the resort is not affected by the speed of the chairlift, essentially it doesn't matter how fast you go in the air, because both types of lifts load and unload at similar rates the difference is negligible. Took me a while to get my head around but there was a thread covering the issue a few years back.

The Perisher Master Plan (read: pipe dream) has the Happy Valley T being replaced by a quad. But even Perisher don't publicly show the plan anymore so god knows when or if that will ever happen.

I'm not sure what they will do next, but I think the should look at the link to and from Smiggins, removing the uphill pushes would be great.

In the end don't hold your breath, the first rumours about the new chair at Guthega started about 3 seasons ago.

8. Dylan

Dylan Hard Yards

Leichhardt is likely next to be replaced with a chair, already approved and sourced.

Lifting capacity doesn't change much (when comparing the same chair size) due to increased spacing of the chairs.

9. AussieLegend

AussieLegend First Runs

So the new Freedom Quad is hi-speed? Thats weird.

10. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Beat me to it :)

11. Acav

Acav Hard Yards

That would be a solid move from perisher as it would definitely improve access back from Mount P, before they improve the lifting capacity there. I haven't heard of any plans though, any links?

The freedom quad is technically a fixed grip, but apparently it has a carpet at the start, which allows it to run at a faster speed. I guess we will find out in a few days at the rate this storm is bringing it down.

12. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

The change over of the Leichardt T will also be linked to the development of the purpose built half pipe they want to put in there.

It would be nice if they could do the Happy valley T at the same time, as the plan for that chair is to have the unload station much further up the hill towards Olympic to open up those western top sections to more repeat skiing.
    But since they recently extended the T 50 metres down slope i guess that plan has really been put on the backburner

13. Acav

Acav Hard Yards

They have an approved DA for some snowmaking in the cleft area, so it makes sense to service it with a chair. They also electrified Leichardt a few years back, so there is electricity to base station (it used to be diesel). To the OP's post though, it would be fixed grip, due to the sheer shortness of the area IMO. Next detachable quad will probably be the Mt P 6 pack.

I think the biggest issue with a Happy valley quad is definitely the wind. It would potentially be the first lift to go on wind hold if it was ever built.

14. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, this would be the problem. The wind roars up that valley. I have seen it on a couple of occasions where the T-bar has gone on wind hold.

If they ever did put a chair in happy valley they would probably do what they have done at guthega, ie put in a chair and leave the t-bar